Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2020, 02:41 PM   #1

Tao Tao DB14 PZ19 Carb Jetting

I currently have a Tao Tao DB-14, pretty much new, with a PZ19 carb that was having bogging issues when snapping the throttle open fast. I cleaned the carb and started working up the pilot jet to get rid of the bog. Stock jets were 32 pilot and 68 main I think. Currently have a 45 pilot and 80 main installed and the bog is mostly gone but I think it's odd that I need pilot jetting that large. Plug from idling is showing carbon fouling, thin black soot. Currently at 7,300 feet in altitude and oat is hovering around high 70's to low 80's.

Is it weird that I would need a 45 pilot to finally get rid of the bog? Is the PZ19 that comes on the Tao Tao just garbage? Is it normal for plugs to carbon foul from prolonged running at idle?

ETA: When we first got the bike I pulled the plug after running and it was white, so it started off very lean from the factory. I will probably need to come down on the main but need to pull the plug again after running to see where it's at.

Last edited by Napalmsticks; 05-02-2020 at 05:19 PM.

Old 05-01-2020, 09:27 PM   #2

Son and I took it on a trail ride and way too rich. Backing it down to a 40 pilot and maybe 78 main and try again.

Old 10-04-2020, 12:23 AM   #3

I just got one as well. The thing sat for several months and the carb was gummed up. I cleaned the jets, but the thing still ran poorly. Everything on the internet said dump the factory carb because they're junk, so I bought a 22mm knock off. Now the throttle cable draw is too short and the bike just revs when started. I'm trying to figure out how to get a proper fitting cable now.