Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2020, 10:15 AM   #1

Out with the old(TBR)in with the new(Brozz)

Some back story here.

Several months ago my neighbor from across the street comes over to look at my TBR as i'm about to go for a ride and says he thinks it looks great and wants to buy it from me. "Not for sale i say , why don't you buy your own brand new one and i will even help you assemble it and do mods to make it better/more reliable" , maybe was his answer.

Several "what a cool bike" comments over the months if he was out when i was going for a ride.

2 days ago i get a knock on the door, its my neighbor. He says he's got cash in hand and wants my bike????? I remind him again about how much a new one is and the mods are not that expensive. No he wants mine, says it looks good , has all the mods and oil changes and is sorted and reliable.!!

Ok , i'll be honest , i had thought about a new china bike and what i would buy and from whom with things on it that i would like that were not so great on the TBR.

Deal done cash is now in my hand and bike is now going up and down the road with person with big smile on face.

Choices : well first off my price cap is $2000. Looked at the Hawk Deluxe with injected engine-- Don't want to play Guinea pig on that (leaky fuel tanks and all), not so sure i want to buy from the people that sell them.

Next the street legal Apollo DB36, Better?? suspension for the rocky terrain i ride in but uncomfortable seat and small fuel tank.

Brozz blue eagle , now we are getting there, buy it from someone with integrity that listens to what the people want at a price they are willing to pay , will send parts when needed and when not needed so someone can experiment (Megadan with the swing arm).

Desert Tan Brozz is on the way (will ship Wed or Thurs) when the shipment arrives at Peace Sports (speak to Jeff).

This is getting long so i'll stop here and fill in the details as to why later.

Old 03-03-2020, 10:21 AM   #2

Awesome! I know it would be hard to part with my Hawk as well but if the right person came along and insist on handing me over a large wad of cash it might be hard to pass. lol
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 03-03-2020, 10:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsstag View Post
that were not so great on the TBR.
Would be curious to read your views on what was not so great about the TBR ( as a TBR owner )....

Granted we all have a subjective view, but its nice to see what other owners think.

Enjoy the new toy\project coming...

Old 03-03-2020, 10:28 AM   #4

congrats

You wont be disappointed with the brozz. I bought a blue eagle last fall from jeff and I was very impressed by what you get for the price. It was my first china bike and I dont have many miles on it yet since it is winter in North Dakota but the few I have ridden impressed me. Just a heads up it still does need some fiddling from the factory like all other chondas. I did the following: locktited most all bolts, checked spokes, adjusted valves and yes it needed it out of the box, greased axles and added a zerk to the swing arm, adjusted chain, and the carb is basically good from the factory but i richened it up just a hair for 25 degrees at 800 ft and it seems happier now. The biggest thing that amazed me is how smooth the counter balanced engine is. enjoy your brozz!

Old 03-03-2020, 10:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Awesome! I know it would be hard to part with my Hawk as well but if the right person came along and insist on handing me over a large wad of cash it might be hard to pass. lol
Agreed, i kind of felt bad taking the cash , but i did tell him what a new one cost. After the deal was done i even gave him back $100 and said take your wife and kids to dinner, the whole family was there with happy wife and kids.

Old 03-03-2020, 12:06 PM   #6

You can dry your tears with the remaining $100 bills.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-03-2020, 01:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
You can dry your tears with the remaining $100 bills.
Agreed they came in handy when buying the new Brozz

Old 03-03-2020, 01:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofqueenz View Post
Would be curious to read your views on what was not so great about the TBR ( as a TBR owner )....

Granted we all have a subjective view, but its nice to see what other owners think.

Enjoy the new toy\project coming...
Would i buy a TBR again with the same concerns i had when buying the first one???

Answer 'YES 'in a heartbeat , what changed?? opportunity knocked on my door (literally), i am enjoying riding more than i thought i would. I am willing to pay more money for the upgrades:

Less flexy front end
New style fuel cap
skid plate
Digital dash
Nobbies tires( there's a story to come about that)
H4 headlight bulb

Old 03-03-2020, 02:16 PM   #9

Jeff was great when I spoke with him and I just about pulled the trigger on a Brozz! I do more commuting right now and chose an X22R, but plan to buy a Brozz from Jeff in the future.

Old 03-03-2020, 03:32 PM   #10

Paul.. .all fair points.

Agreed in that the headlights are useless at night and the digital cluster would be a nice luxury ( for me as a newbie ).

Old 03-03-2020, 07:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Paul.. .all fair points.

Agreed in that the headlights are useless at night and the digital cluster would be a nice luxury ( for me as a newbie ).
Its not that any of the things i have mentioned can't be upgraded if one wants too:

Flexy forks - because they are such a small diameter i feel them twisting on and off road but Jerry and Megadan put fork braces ( from a Harley? if i remember.

Skid plate - again Jerry made his own.

Fuel cap - cut and modify or purchase an original Honda one

Headlamp - not the end of the world for sure , even add a set of aux LEDs ( this applies to any or all of the bikes.)

Stuff that i get that i'm not sure is an upgrade :

Balance shaft engine? it takes power to spin it right?, now i have more moving parts . Will it be noticable ??? only one way to find out?

More comfortable seat ? The TBR was fine as is but you never know , i will let you all know on that one.

Remote start and alarm: for me its more to go wrong ? after a little while the engine cools down and might need a bit of choke ? what then? will it start in gear with the clutch pulled in if i stall the bike on a hill???? I think this is getting removed from the git go

I think i am more excited about this bike than i was about my TBR

I have better mirrors, hand guards and a new carburetor on the way

Paul

Old 03-03-2020, 07:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Paul.. .all fair points.

Forgot the digital dash - i have wanted one for a long time and just never got around to buying it , again it is something that can be done to the existing bike.

Rear disc brake - i'll assume it's better than the drum on mine but it looks like the master cyl is vulnerable to damage from rocks or going over obstacles so i will take care of that when it comes.

Forgot a big one - the rear swing arm seems a little better/stronger??? and has a much better/easier chain tightening system. Look no further than Megadan who did this upgrade to his Hawk.