Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2020, 07:40 PM   #1

Ahoy hoy, mates!

Hello, everyone!

I recently seen that popular youtube about the cheap chinese, street-legal, enduro bikes and after coming back from my Vietnam vacation and riding 125ccs over there, I now have an urge to get a 250cc bike to learn manual over here in the US! I've always wanted to ride a motorcycle but its quite dangerous. I never bought a bike or obtained my motorcycle endorsement because of the fear of other drivers if I were to ride a motorcycle in my city. Anyway, I'm now applying for my motorcycle permit and purchasing an SSR250 soon after weeks watching additional youtube videos and perusing chinese biking community forums.

My main inquiry for joining this forum was to ask the following question: Will a 250cc chinese Enduro bike make a transcontinental trip? I hear these bikes' top speed are around 70ish mph, so that may limit interstate travels. How long can I keep the throttled engaged before my engine temps are critical due to running at constant, high rpms? I know the tanks are like 2.5 gallons and could probably squeeze 150-160 miles before having to refuel. However, my main concern is can my hypothetical Hawk DLX EFI 250cc/SSR250cc maintain a constant rate of 60-65 mp/h at 6-7000 rpms before having to refuel intermittently every 2-3 hours?

I plan on taking this trip in the very near future. I just wanna know if my new bike is going to make it to Texas/Washing/Oregon. Hoping to meet and introduce myself further to members of this community soon! Thanks in advance!

Best,
Tri

Old 02-15-2020, 08:07 PM   #2

Welcome! Can't help you much on your question about traveling, I just received my Tao TBR7 Monday, and I'm impressed in the quality, I don't think you'll be disappointed, and it should be fine on long trips, may want better tires and tubes though.

Old 02-15-2020, 10:22 PM   #3

Welcome to here! There are a few people who have taken long trips on these bikes. One who comes to mind was a guy who bought a Hawk from a dealer somewhere in Texas and rode it 700 miles on 2 lane highways to his home in New Mexico in a couple days' time. Then there was Eve. 5'2" never rode a motorcycle. Came to the US from Israel to Salt Lake City. Bought a Basham Storm 250, learned to ride and maintain it thanks to this forum, and rode it from SLC to Brooklyn, NY. Possibly on some of the same roads, was a father/son team from San Francisco. The father bought a new Skyteam CT-70 replica with a 125cc engine, they found a used BMS 150cc scooter for $150 (it wasn't running and only needed a battery) and rode from SF to NYC on two- lane highways. On the uphill stretches in the Rockies, they were only hitting 30 to 35 mph at times, but very few people on the roads, they never reported any white knuckle/underwear changing moments. That thread was in ADVRider several years ago. So, I would say that prepped correctly, and carrying the right spares (make sure to get input here on Chinariders) you should do ok on most any Chinese dual-sport.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-15-2020, 10:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetnGhost View Post
Welcome! Can't help you much on your question about traveling, I just received my Tao TBR7 Monday, and I'm impressed in the quality, I don't think you'll be disappointed, and it should be fine on long trips, may want better tires and tubes though.
Woah, congratulations! Very nice pick-up! The TBR7 was among my list of potential bikes. Let me know how you're riding goes as you use your bike more. Thanks!

Old 02-15-2020, 10:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Welcome to here! There are a few people who have taken long trips on these bikes. One who comes to mind was a guy who bought a Hawk from a dealer somewhere in Texas and rode it 700 miles on 2 lane highways to his home in New Mexico in a couple days' time. Then there was Eve. 5'2" never rode a motorcycle. Came to the US from Israel to Salt Lake City. Bought a Basham Storm 250, learned to ride and maintain it thanks to this forum, and rode it from SLC to Brooklyn, NY. Possibly on some of the same roads, was a father/son team from San Francisco. The father bought a new Skyteam CT-70 replica with a 125cc engine, they found a used BMS 150cc scooter for $150 (it wasn't running and only needed a battery) and rode from SF to NYC on two- lane highways. On the uphill stretches in the Rockies, they were only hitting 30 to 35 mph at times, but very few people on the roads, they never reported any white knuckle/underwear changing moments. That thread was in ADVRider several years ago. So, I would say that prepped correctly, and carrying the right spares (make sure to get input here on Chinariders) you should do ok on most any Chinese dual-sport.

Thank you so much for the detailed reply! All those stories makes me excited about my venture into bike ownership. Although I am now considering a 450cc dualsport but i haven't seen any from chinese makers so far. I've seen a Honda 450cc dual-sport that puts my mind at ease concerning interstate/turnpike speeds and travel, but that would make my membership here at chinariders invalid. XD

Last edited by phillydusted; 02-15-2020 at 10:53 PM. Reason: typo

Old 02-15-2020, 11:06 PM   #6

CSC offer some lower-displacement adventure-motorcycles. The RX3 from Zongshen literally created the small-displacement category. Liquid-cooled/fuel-injected 250cc engine (same as the off-road/enduro bike from SSR) has a proven track record of being outrageously reliable (outrageous because it is made in China). Last year they introduced their RX4 450cc version, but I don't believe it comes with luggage like the RX3 does. They also have a very decent dual-sport that is the typical air-cooled formula found across the several Chinese dual-sports offered in the US. Theirs is slightly more expensive, but CSC is more like a brick and mortar dealer that happens to ship nationwide--they have parts and services to back up whatever bike you buy. But, for the higher speeds, and lower cost (and in the case of the RX3, a VERY proven bike) offered by the Chinese, the RX3 and RX4 might be what you are looking for over the very minimalist air-cooled dual-sports.

https://www.cscmotorcycles.com/defau...=xNewInventory

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-15-2020, 11:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
CSC offer some lower-displacement adventure-motorcycles. The RX3 from Zongshen literally created the small-displacement category. Liquid-cooled/fuel-injected 250cc engine (same as the off-road/enduro bike from SSR) has a proven track record of being outrageously reliable (outrageous because it is made in China). Last year they introduced their RX4 450cc version, but I don't believe it comes with luggage like the RX3 does. They also have a very decent dual-sport that is the typical air-cooled formula found across the several Chinese dual-sports offered in the US. Theirs is slightly more expensive, but CSC is more like a brick and mortar dealer that happens to ship nationwide--they have parts and services to back up whatever bike you buy. But, for the higher speeds, and lower cost (and in the case of the RX3, a VERY proven bike) offered by the Chinese, the RX3 and RX4 might be what you are looking for over the very minimalist air-cooled dual-sports.

https://www.cscmotorcycles.com/defau...=xNewInventory

I think this is cheaper than the SSR and has more value in terms of what I'm lookin' for! Maybe when I get my bike, I'll ride down to Yuma, Arizone and buy you a beer! Cheers, mate!

Old 02-16-2020, 01:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydusted View Post
Woah, congratulations! Very nice pick-up! The TBR7 was among my list of potential bikes. Let me know how you're riding goes as you use your bike more. Thanks!

Will do! I'm having a blast so far wrenching and getting it set up for a long life.

Old 02-16-2020, 08:04 PM   #9

Welcome! Stay off the Interstate. Even if it was safe to travel there, you'll enjoy the scenery much more.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-17-2020, 04:44 AM   #10

Yep, wouldn't even bother with the interstate, but as a good first bike, I'd say go for it. I wouldn't get an RX4 just because it'll be a heavier first bike, with more stuff to break if you drop it.

Old 02-18-2020, 10:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Welcome! Stay off the Interstate. Even if it was safe to travel there, you'll enjoy the scenery much more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
Yep, wouldn't even bother with the interstate, but as a good first bike, I'd say go for it. I wouldn't get an RX4 just because it'll be a heavier first bike, with more stuff to break if you drop it.

You guys are right. I'm looking to get into this for the trails. Why am I even thinking about the interstate for? I'm looking to do the the TransAtlantic Trail from Philadelphia,PA up to Oregon, WA.

Possibly middle of this year. Hopefully I can group up with a little team on here to make it more interesting.

Old 02-19-2020, 04:02 AM   #12

I would go over everything with a fine-toothed comb if you take on the Trans America Trail. It'll find weaknesses in your bike you never knew it had. If you're looking at SSR, maybe look at a GPX FSE250E/R. They're simply better built, and have great support for around the same money. http://gpxmoto.com

Last edited by franque; 02-19-2020 at 02:46 PM.

Old 02-19-2020, 11:59 AM   #13

You might consider the Back Country Discovery Routes; most States have them.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer