Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2008, 12:14 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Gimpdiggity
Lifan LF200 GY-5 for $1450 or Hi-Bird 250 for $1180???

Hey everyone.

I'm in the market for a small dual sport for putting around town. I've got a Ninja 250 right now that I'll be relegating to track only use, so the dual sport will basically be just for running errands like returning things to the video store and such.

So I found both of these bikes, and both seem to have "favorable" reviews based on how well you put the parts together when you get it.

Now, which would you guys suggest?? Spend the extra for the Lifan but lose some CCs, or go with the cheaper but slightly more powerful Hi-Bird??

For what it's worth, I MAY be able to get a Hi-Bird for about $900 if I go pick it up myself.

Thanks!

Jeff

Old 03-26-2008, 12:55 AM   #2

A few members just recently bought the Hi-Bird and so far so good. If you can pick it up for $900--buy it!

The lifan is probably about the same thing as far as quality goes, has less power, and costs more...

However, only buy either if you are somewhat knowledgeable about bike repairs.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-26-2008, 01:27 AM   #3

I've taken my Ninja apart basically down to the frame and put it all back together...

The only thing I don't do on my own is mount tires, and that's only because I don't have anything to balance them with...and I don't trust the home balancing methods.

I think I will probably just end up going with the Hi-Bird because I can pick it up locally...that means I will actually get to look at it and such before I buy it...and from what I can tell, the shop selling them does a good job putting them together. The guy was mentioning removing all the bolts/screws and such and LocTiting them in...so it seems he knows what he's doing with them.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpdiggity
The guy was mentioning removing all the bolts/screws and such and LocTiting them in...so it seems he knows what he's doing with them.
He probably has just read the forums here, LOL. The members here have mentioned locktiting numerous times, and there is a prep sticky to read if you are putting the bike together.

Members 'kczukiman' and 'universal diver' both bought Hi-birds recently and both have photos and videos of their new bikes. You should be able to find their threads easily.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-26-2008, 02:09 AM   #5

Cool.

I'll search those threads while I'm bored at work tomorrow.

And I read that sticky...and from what the seller was saying, I think you're right...he read it too!!!

Old 03-26-2008, 05:18 AM   #6

Alright.

I guess I was mistaken on the Hi-Bird for $900.

The Hi-Bird that is going for $900 is only the 200cc model. That is over $500 less than the Lifan 200cc bike.

I'm guessing they are about the same quality??

If I gear the 200cc Hi-Bird differently, would I be able to hit about 70mph with it?? On the web site it lists top speed as 55mph...but I'd like to be able to hit the freeway for about 2 miles at times.

I guess I'm basically now trying to decide between spending $900 on the 200cc Hi-Bird...or spending $1180 on the 250cc Hi-Bird...

Old 03-26-2008, 05:55 AM   #7

The 250cc bikes were not out when I bought ours but if they had been I'd have went with a 250cc bikes just for that little extra bit of displacement.

But even so as it stands right now I'd put my 200cc bike up against a stock 250cc bike.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:26 AM   #8

Teamcheap,

What do you have done to your 200cc that would make it faster??

Sprockets?? New jets?? Filters??

I'm just curious...because I just know that if I end up getting one of these things, the urge to make it "better" will hit me fairly quickly.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:42 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to PorterzCustomz
IMO the Lifan looks alot nicer then the hybrid and I think its also a little bit taller. I would rather have a nicer looking bike, im probably going to do a motor swap anyway. I had the choice and the hybrid was a couple hundread cheaper but I liked the Lifan look alot more!

Old 03-26-2008, 10:56 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to PorterzCustomz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpdiggity
Teamcheap,

What do you have done to your 200cc that would make it faster??

Sprockets?? New jets?? Filters??

I'm just curious...because I just know that if I end up getting one of these things, the urge to make it "better" will hit me fairly quickly.
Yea the urge already hit me and my bike is still in the mail!!! =)

I already have the cone filter, CDI box,jets and im looking at exhaust systems. The bike should be here in the next couple days.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:25 PM   #11

Well, after looking into it a bit more, the $900 Hi-Bird might not end up being the best bargain.

I guess they sell for $950, which isn't too bad. But shipping is $220. I figured that the bike was in Ohio (I'm in Michigan) so I'd just go get it. But it's nearly 350 miles away...so that would be 700 miles in the Jeep Grand Cherokee. At about 17mpg with the trailer, that would mean I'd need 42 gallons of gas. At $3.50 a gallon, that's about $150. Figure in that with a trip of that magnitude at least lunch will be bought for me and a friend...so $20.

So, the 200cc would end up being $1170 if I got it shipped to me. It would end up costing me $1120 and about 10 hours of my time if I went and picked it up.

I can get the 250 shipped to me for $1180...looks like that's the better deal.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:16 PM   #12

Oh just the air filter and open exhaust and the major rejet to get it back to normal running conditions and I still have that CDI box to try but I doubt that will do much but there are still a few things left for me to do that will help it get up and go without breaking the bank.

Gimpdiggity
HEY COOL michigan, where about's in michigan are you??

Old 03-26-2008, 04:25 PM   #13

Hi Gimpdiggity,As a new Hibird owner I am very happy with the bike.It runs out nice no overbarring vibrations plenty of power for me I'm 6' 250lbs.For me,for the money its an awsome bike.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:55 PM   #14

Lifan GY200 FYI

I was talking to my co-worker who purchased a GY200 Lifan from Hooper and he is going to order a second this weekend for his son. Larry Hooper told him his prices will be going up by around $500 later this summer so I thought I'd pass this on (get one while the prices are still low). Hooper has been selling Lifan bikes for over 6 years and my co-worker is very satisfied with his. Just thought I'd pass this on..... $1,299 and price includes shipping.

http://www.hooperimports.com/product...d=LF200GY-2inv
2005 TANK Trail 200
2009 Lifan LY110GY-3 (2)

Old 03-26-2008, 10:07 PM   #15

Was wondering what website the cheapest hibird 250cc is?