Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2019, 04:58 PM   #1

Extra light on front of hawk

I cannot remember who posted it but I saw one where someone had cut the wires to the little running light in the headlight (Already LED) and wired in a small spot light.

So I did it too. Turned out great. Took 15 minutes most of which was finding the shrink wrap stuff for the wires. Easy and bright. I will probably get another one and do the same on the other side of the bike if it will handle it? What do you think?

Wanted to give props to whomever came up with this mod.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hawk.jpg (39.7 KB, 382 views)

Old 11-16-2019, 12:08 PM   #2

Is the spot light an LED? What is the wattage?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-16-2019, 04:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Is the spot light an LED? What is the wattage?
8 watt.

Yes an LED. 6 small bulbs. The wires on it are tiny thin.

Old 11-18-2019, 11:33 AM   #4

Any idea what the stock running light wattage was? If two LED lights add up to more than the stock bulb, I'd use a relay.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-18-2019, 12:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Any idea what the stock running light wattage was? If two LED lights add up to more than the stock bulb, I'd use a relay.
I would use a relay anyway. With every vehicle i own i took the time to rewire with better wires and relay.

Daniel SternĀ“s web site set me on this path of improving lighting.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ys/relays.html

Old 11-18-2019, 07:44 PM   #6

Thanks fellas I can do a relay. Do I need 2? Surely the stock light is already on one?

If I do a relay will the stock charging system handle the extra drain?

Old 11-18-2019, 10:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundhouse View Post
Thanks fellas I can do a relay. Do I need 2? Surely the stock light is already on one?

If I do a relay will the stock charging system handle the extra drain?
If you have a relay with two 87 pins you can power both lights with a single relay.
Usually you need two relays for headlight with a low and high beam. One relay will power the low beam and the other the high.

In the best case you will add 1v per spot light, but that extra 1v can make a big difference when it comes to lighting.

Old 11-19-2019, 08:25 PM   #8

Thanks WD, that clarifies a lot.

Old 11-22-2019, 10:57 AM   #9

Has anyone thought about removeing oem headlight and houseing and done a light bar/ pad on there bikes?

Old 01-05-2020, 10:37 AM   #10

Two 20W LED Spots

Hello,

I installed two 20W spots on my CSC TT250. After trying to wire into the High Beam wire (figuring the lights would stay on whether HI or Low was selected), I found out the lights turned off when switched to Low. Not sure why.

So I sacrificed the little "running light" that does nothing anyway and is 5W and used that wire to power my spots. Sounds like using this as a power source is something others have found to do. Wish I would have read this tread before I cut into the HI wire.

The wire going to this little 5W light was the same gauge as that for the headlights. Too small of a gauge to me in both cases, but apparently that is what they use on these bikes. I work in commercial HVAC temp controls (24V) and the smallest we typically use is 18ga. Everything I have seen on newer bikes seems to be 20ga, with accessories like the spots more like 24ga! Saves them a few pennies I guess.

No issues. They just turn on when the bike is started.

The ones I bought have "halos" that I wired thru a CSC turn signal relay, so that they flash all the time. Not excessively bright, but I figure the flashing might catch the attention of some 4-wheeler that is thinking (do they think?) of turning left in front of me.

I also switched the headlight to a 18W LED (2x as bright as the stock Halogen, plug and play, no mounting mods required, $18 on Ebay, there is also one the same price on Amazon that draws less at 15W).

My Amp draw is about the same as what was stock with the 35/35W Halogen headlight (on HI = 70W) and 5W "running light". Now is 36W (assuming it is 18 HI, 18 Low) headlight, 40W spots.

So, I am not worried about isolating with a relay or the draw (especially since the TT250 has the 300W capacity that CSC added).

Peace on Ya,

Goob

Good
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Julien TT250-2.jpg (95.5 KB, 188 views)

Old 01-05-2020, 06:42 PM   #11

Thanks Goob, I also have an LED headlight that draws far less. I was going to add another light to the front just to be symmetrical.