Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2019, 01:50 PM   #1

2019 Hawk 250 150 Miles Review

This bike has met my expectations. It is far from perfect it seems. I have enjoyed, however re-learning how to ride on this bike after a 20 year absence. I have picked up riding again just like I was riding a regular bike. This bike has been beneficial in not over powering me and giving a good jumpstart back into motorcycles.

The Pros:

* Price point: You gotta love a new motorcycle delivered to your door new at $1400.

* Styling: Excellent. It's sleek and is a head turner if you like that.

* Orion Power Sports did an excellent assembly job and the bike was in perfect condition when it arrived.

* Best of Both Worlds: Street and Dirt...Hypothetically speaking I could run from a cop through a field...not that I endorse that action or have ever partaken in it.

The Cons:

* Dissatisfied with the overall performance of the bike. I know there is a break in period. My idle is fine, but lacking consistent power. It is minimally cutting out and losing power in the powerband. I did the air box mod and have changed the spark plug to iridium.

* Getting alot of snap, crackle, pop in downshifting

* Speedo and Fuel gauge are a mess. Speedo just quit working today. Could be loose cable...havent checked yet. Fuel gauge needle is moving like its recording earthquakes. Pretty much useless. So going to pick up the digital cluster which will obviously be better.

* Will upgrading the carb and jets and fine tuning overall improve the performance to being satisfied?

Old 09-27-2019, 02:15 PM   #2

Welcome aboard! Once you get about 500+ miles on it she will perform much better. Nothing wrong with the stock carb. Just needs larger jets. Contact member NZbrakelathe for a jet kit and he will get you the correct main and pilot jets.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 09-27-2019, 04:51 PM   #3

CBRETT, welcome and congrats! Like you, I have had a long absence from motorcycles, and have enjoyed the journey back. The BMS250 for us, and myself, as you say is not overpower, and gives a good jumpstart. Most all of us here, have checked the valve adjustment, just to make sure, as most of the bikes have had way too tight of valves.
Hope you get the carb dialed in, and when you do, it is a fun bike!
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Old 09-27-2019, 06:23 PM   #4

Mine is at 300 miles and I am just starting to tell that the rings are seating and I’m gaining some power. At least a little.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:33 PM   #5

I have the tuning and digital cluster stuff for Hawk
You can have a look at either eBay or contact directly and cluster has a special this month with upgraded shipping to EMS for free

Old 09-27-2019, 09:51 PM   #6

Check/set the valve lash, jet the carburetor and set idle mixture, and give it about another 350 miles or so and you will find it is a much different/better bike. Keep on top of that valve lash during break in as well. They will get tight and need adjusting at least 1 more time in the first 1k.

Link in my signature has a lot of Hawk related setup, fixes, and mods. Worth looking through if you haven't yet.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 09-28-2019, 09:52 AM   #7

I did the exhaust and carb mods yesterday and picked up another 10 mph in top speed,I'm at about 200 may miles on my TBR7
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam
Nibbi PE30 and cone filter

Front fork brace

Old 09-28-2019, 06:31 PM   #8

Followed suit with Megadan and changed my sprockets to 520 chain 13 front and 33 rear. I only have 65 miles on my Hawk DLX but just cruised at 65 MPH on the GPS. On my way to work traffic moves 60 to 65 for a 2 mile stretch which is a 55. Now it moves along at a comfortable RPM and should make the commute much easier on the bike. 4th gear ran up to 58. Distance to work is 22.8 miles round trip and most of it is 30 to 45 MPH which makes this bike now perfect. (I still prefer to trail ride. Nice combo!)

Thank you, Megadan

2019 Hawk 250 DLX
2019 Royal Enfield Continental 650

Old 09-28-2019, 10:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeRider View Post
Followed suit with Megadan and changed my sprockets to 520 chain 13 front and 33 rear. I only have 65 miles on my Hawk DLX but just cruised at 65 MPH on the GPS. On my way to work traffic moves 60 to 65 for a 2 mile stretch which is a 55. Now it moves along at a comfortable RPM and should make the commute much easier on the bike. 4th gear ran up to 58. Distance to work is 22.8 miles round trip and most of it is 30 to 45 MPH which makes this bike now perfect. (I still prefer to trail ride. Nice combo!)

Thank you, Megadan
In my opinion it is the best balance between highway capability and acceleration for road use. About the only time it will really disappoint you is if you need to do some real slow speed technical off road stuff, or you try to climb steeper hills. Always a trade off with a small engine like these.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 09-29-2019, 07:56 AM   #10

Thanks for all the replies guys. Going to do the additional mods and have faith that the she will smooth out over a few hundred more miles.

Tags
break in, hawk 250 review, hawk performance