Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2019, 08:17 AM   #1

New Phone Day

Yup. Twisted arms at the office to get my somewhat unreliable LG G6 replaced. The LG wasn’t a bad phone, but was aimed more towards the suit and tie crowd, not greasy hands people. Cracked the screen, cracked the back, charging port went to hell, twice.
I opted for this, should be my last company phone.
https://www.kyoceramobile.com/duraforce-pro-2/

Mil-spec, slightly smaller screen, weighty little bugger, no need for a case. Right now the two phones are talking to each other, swapping files by sorcery. A lot of stuff on the G6, so this is going to take awhile.

Irritating part about all this is that my company uses Cat mil-spec phones as PDAs for their electronic rail measuring equipment. Think they’d make them available to field personnel. Hell no. I have seen the beatings those Cat phones take and like the old Timex ads, they take a lickin’ and keep on tickin’. Hope this one does the same.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 09-14-2019, 08:43 AM   #2

"Swapping files by sorcery"

Old 09-14-2019, 11:14 AM   #3

I have had for many years, capt. kirk flip style phone. $60 reconditioned, ebay. cheap connection fee, and fits in my shirt pocket for easy retrieval. HOWEVER Verizon says my 3g will not work soon. I know I am old school, but I will destroy a 400.00 plus phone in a month. Then $100 or so to replace. After so many replacements I become a habitual offender, and then no more insurance claims. I still have my bag phone, I wonder if that still works? BUT wait, since we live close to the reservation, we can take lessons on how to send smoke signals, we have some wonderful natives as neighbors! Remember the days when we had no cell phones? Writing letters instead of email? ok, I need to get another cup of coffee and figure out what today's plan is....
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Old 09-14-2019, 11:16 AM   #4

good suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
Yup. Twisted arms at the office to get my somewhat unreliable LG G6 replaced. The LG wasn’t a bad phone, but was aimed more towards the suit and tie crowd, not greasy hands people. Cracked the screen, cracked the back, charging port went to hell, twice.
I opted for this, should be my last company phone.
https://www.kyoceramobile.com/duraforce-pro-2/

Mil-spec, slightly smaller screen, weighty little bugger, no need for a case. Right now the two phones are talking to each other, swapping files by sorcery. A lot of stuff on the G6, so this is going to take awhile.

Irritating part about all this is that my company uses Cat mil-spec phones as PDAs for their electronic rail measuring equipment. Think they’d make them available to field personnel. Hell no. I have seen the beatings those Cat phones take and like the old Timex ads, they take a lickin’ and keep on tickin’. Hope this one does the same.
I guess I will have to get out of old school syndrome, thanks I will check it out!!! YUP the sorcery syndrome continues!!!!
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Last edited by wedooit; 09-14-2019 at 11:17 AM. Reason: sorcery!!!!! lmao!!!!

Old 09-15-2019, 07:43 AM   #5

It wasn’t all puppies and unicorns. I couldn’t get my contacts to transfer over or get the 4G LTE to work. As we had the DeSoto in a local car show, Mrs. C and I hoofed it over to the local AT&T store after parking the car. There, I let one of the elves work their magic on it. Man, this is a place where the technology generation gap is shown in sharp relief. The elf did in five minutes what I couldn’t do in two hours (Wished I’d had a set of points in my pocket so I could ask if he knew what they were).

Anyway, I’m down to the boring part of signing back into the apps I use on a daily basis and rearranging them in the proper groups; ie, airlines, rental cars, hotels, tech stuff, etc.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 09-15-2019, 10:57 AM   #6

Points? gap? in your spare sorcery time....take a survey and break it down to age groups...interesting as what you will not find. Our 15yo elf....I asked her a while back to grab me a church key. She hand me the keys to the shop. But wait it gets better....yesterday the elf grabbed my tablet and said something as dad, did you know your tablet could do this.....? I fumbled thru it, got frustrated, lost some info, and she told me not to push all the keys. What the heck, if I push them all, I will eventually come upon the right one! I grumbled whiskey tango foxtrot....

Last edited by wedooit; 09-16-2019 at 09:36 AM. Reason: auto correct bad idea

Old 09-16-2019, 12:47 AM   #7

Interesting. I knew Kyocera made copiers. I did not know about their smartphones.

Old 09-16-2019, 08:11 AM   #8

There is a slight learning curve. Mostly getting my left index finger from LG to Kyocera mode. The new phone has a camera lens where the old phone had a wake button. Lens is kinda smudgy. . Should be second nature by the end of the week.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 09-16-2019, 04:44 PM   #9

First pic taken with the phone Saturday morning.

At least that worked off the bat. This is in front of the local coffee shop I haunt on Saturday mornings. I usually show up on two or three wheels so I stumped the morning reprobates when I got out.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800