Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2019, 06:19 PM   #1

Orion RXB-250/XMOTOS XB39 On The Way

I pulled the trigger. Should have one here, crated, before the end of the week.

I'll be covering the process in my TT blog, but I'll also do my best to answer questions here, and I'll use questions asked here to drive what I do in the blog.

Here is the decision process I went through in making the call...

King Moon Racer 02 - Dawn of the Dad Bike

Old 05-14-2019, 08:17 PM   #2

You have been around Chinariders for a while and have seen what people think about Chinese motorcycles, not to mention the good, bad, and, well, not too bad about them. I am guessing you won't even have to change the carb simply because of your planned use of riding with the kids. Most people do it to get maximum performance which you won't need.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-14-2019, 09:23 PM   #3

Thanks, Culcune. I'm assuming that the limits of my tweaking will be upgrading soft levers/pegs/pedals/fasteners, graphics, tires and (the big one) re-springing the suspension for proper sag with my weight.

Old 05-17-2019, 12:31 PM   #4

Okay...it has been delivered, inspected, assembled and test-run. Very happy so far.

The breakdown is in my next blog post. BTW, I'd be happy to post all this here if ChinaRiders had a blog hosting option...admins, please forgive the cross-linking.

https://thumpertalk.com/blogs/entry/...t-experiences/

Old 05-17-2019, 03:37 PM   #5

What is your impression of the suspension, and its settings? Nice write up, and nice bike.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:40 PM   #6

Suspension feels awfully stiff, but a majority of that is the friction/stiction in the forks. However this is from a first ride on a street. I'll give you more info after riding a trail or two. One thing for sure...I'll be backing out all damping adjusters to full-soft to see if what I'm dealing with is hydro-lock.

I'm thinking that new oil and re-valving is in order front and back...but the springs are definitely in the ballpark.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:50 PM   #7

Come DJ, don't let us down...let's get that 2nd ride report. You fiddle with the carburetor yet like I suggested to you? It will be a whole different machine, I promise! Mine shipped today...

Kirk

Old 05-30-2019, 11:51 AM   #8

Apologies...this should have been posted here a few days back, after a long Saturday ride with my daughter...

Okay...back from first ride...quick notes. Detailed evaluation of first ride will be a blog post.
  • "Wheel Squeak" was brake pads bedding in, not a bearing issue. Medium-hard use in a dirty/wet environment for a day and the squeak is gone
  • Suspension came from factory with clickers at full-firm. Backed everything off to full-soft and I love it. Spring rate is good and the forks respond well. Revalving could make it better
  • Tires were better than I'd hoped, with a gummy compound that works well in hard terrain. deflate them from the 30+ PSI during shipping to around 15 PSI and they improve greatly. I'm going to use these tires until they wear out instead of immediately jumping to new rubber and Tublisss
  • Power was great for trail riding and non-competition pace. Was still fast enough for adults when I wanted to be, and was comfy with my kids in the first two gears
  • Tire clearance issues to the rear swingarm mud guard. Plenty of space on swingarm adjusters, so I want to add a link to the chain and open things up.
    Chain already has significant lateral play...planning to make that the first replacement on the bike. Sprockets seem fine.
  • The entire exhaust is blued...tons of off-idle and low-mid hesistation...running terribly lean. Rejet in order.
  • Need to roll the bars back...had a funny angle for my wrists with initial setup. Bend should be fine.
  • Differences from the GPX FS-E frame in the cradle area...square tubing and separate motor-mount plates all the way around, rather than GPX's welded-on mounts. Likely a more generic frame for more motor-support options...still well built and solid.
  • Though I don't need to replace anything, various 2014 KTM plastics and support pieces (brake pedal, etc.) on order to test compatibility. I hope to provide a cross-reference chart on that for other buyers. This will include swingarm protectors, rear disc/caliper protectors and swingarm chain rub block.
  • This is the Zong 230 motor, based on CRF230F...NOT a 250, but the motor has a strong reputation for reliability and performance. Major differences to CRF are 5 gerars and kick-start, rather than 6 gears and button-only, plus higher compression and a more aggressive ignition map.
  • In similar vein, ordering some minor CRF-230F motor accessories to check compatibility (starting with stainless case/cover bolt set)
  • Looking to take rear hub measurements...thinking I'll need KTM-spec driven sprocket and Honda-spec drive sprocket
  • Other "hybrid points" will be levers...thinking a Honda-spec clutch lever and a KTM-spec brake lever.
  • I'm not really into night-riding with the kids, but I'd consider a project to install an LED light bar if there is enough interest, and enough activity at my blog...reply there if there is something you'd like me to prioritize.

Old 05-30-2019, 01:20 PM   #9

No apologies needed here, unfortunately we all have a life out side of our passion. I'll be right along with you on the improvements, hopefully I can help some, too.
Mine still at the dock sitting in Houston...oh the wait...

Kirk

Old 06-07-2019, 01:07 PM   #10

Here's an update to my blog with thoughts after my first father-daugher ride, goes past the bullet list above.
https://thumpertalk.com/blogs/entry/...irst-projects/

Old 06-08-2019, 08:33 AM   #11

Great write up, thanks for taking the time to let us all know your experience with this bike.
I have been considering getting one of the GPX FSE 250E bikes but now seeing the RXB with adjustable suspension and a much nicer price tag have more to think about.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:44 AM   #12

Minor notes from a day on the vet-class (easy) motocross track:

re-introduced wheel squeak, but from an unexpected source. The rear axle can be torqued to the point of compromising the rear bearings. Possibly no between-bearing spacer in the hub? Had to back off axle nut and the squeak disappeared.

Trail-safe LEXX insert will go in within the next 10 days...been too busy building my daughter's next bike (outgrowing her 50).

Bodywork is definitely 2014-2016 KTM clone. Purchased an Attack Graphics kit for a 2015 KTM 250sx from RMATVMC. The only things that don't match right up are the swingarm graphic (different outer crease shape) and fork protectors (makes sense with different brand of forks). Pics to come.

Funny thing is that my choice of colors/patterns on the new graphics is really damn close to the new graphics being offered by Orion on this model...almost should have purchased his kit.

BTW...for those who haven't been to that site, they now offer the same bike in a blinkers-and-all, dual-sport version, ready to plate.

Old 07-02-2019, 02:07 PM   #13

Any chance you got your mso? Wondering if it says off road or motorcycle. If it says motorcycle you can get it plated!

Old 07-02-2019, 03:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deryl View Post
Any chance you got your mso? Wondering if it says off road or motorcycle. If it says motorcycle you can get it plated!
The MSO says "Motorcycle," but I have no intentions of plating the bike. I was just relaying the variant availability from Orion Powersports if someone was interested in the dual-sport game rather than pure off-road.

I wouldn't want to commute on this bike, and the distance to riding areas here on the North side of Austin makes "riding to the track/trails" far less than optimal.

Old 08-08-2019, 03:08 PM   #15

Will the 2015 front fender for the 250sxf fit on this bike?

https://www.amazon.com/Acerbis-Fende...gateway&sr=8-3