Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2019, 07:05 AM   #1

New Rhino 250 Questions

Hello,
Just received my pre-assembled 2018 Rhino 250.
Documentation isn't the best, and this is my first ATV. So I had a few questions..

1) I see several mentions on the bike and included manual about changing the oil "screen" and air filter. Does my model have these? I wasn't sure I could locate them...

2) The gas valve. What is best practice to shut this off? Between every use, and why?

3) Tire pressure written on stock tires is a little confusion... 24 PSI max seat beat seat... 10 PSI for operational? So for normal use I take it 10 PSI? What do you all run them at?

Thanks for any help!

-BT

Old 04-15-2019, 09:29 AM   #2

1 You have both. Air filter is attached to carb, its black and hangs down. Oil screen is low down on the left side of the engine behind a large cap that unscrews.

2 Best to shut off to prevent a gas leak in case the float needle gets stuck open. Not good in a garage with a gas hot water heater.

3 10 psi is rock hard. I run mine at 3 psi.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:36 AM   #3

On the gas, if you have the ability to buy "ethanol free" I s-t-r-o-n-g-l-y suggest it, I switched from shell super gas and they start asap without all the needle valve sticking/blocked, bowl stick,,ect.... issues that I'm sure could come your way. If you can find it near you.
When I'm done for the day, I shut my gas valve, but leave it running until it dies.
Works perfect for me in the northeast and I have 3..

Old 04-16-2019, 12:54 PM   #4

Thank you for the information...

I have run my other small engines dry before winter storage and have always had good results.

But I wasn't sure if that was a good practice on a routine basis for these. But I have read others suggesting it. I started off using 93 Octane as suggested, but have not looked extensively for ethanol free at this point.

Thanks again,
BT

Old 04-16-2019, 04:42 PM   #5

I've always run regular 87 octane with 10% ethanol. 535 hours so far.

Old 04-16-2019, 04:52 PM   #6

Yeah ethanol free is a good way to go for any small engine.. If you can get it .. do so.

I have been using the high octane and running the engine out at the end of the day with the fuel shutoff. Mostly long periods between use and no carb issue to report. If it will be some time I will add a little Stabil to the tank. I do try and run the tanks out if I know it will be the last use at the end of the season.

At the start of the season (spring) I drain the gas in all my small engines and use it for fire starter. I wont try and start the engine with old gas.

I wish I had a place around here to get the ethanol free. I did see some at a Home Depot in gallon cans but the price was ridiculous.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:41 PM   #7

This site lists ethanol free gas stations around the country: https://www.pure-gas.org

Old 04-16-2019, 09:13 PM   #8

Cool link.. it should help those looking.

Sadly all of it in MD is too far to be worthwhile for me.