Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2018, 08:39 AM   #1

Head Scratching New hawk owner cant get bike registerd in tn

Hi guys i live in East Tennessee and i jus purchased a 2018 hawk 250, im really excited to get it on the road its my first bike and ive doneall the Maintence stuff on my own but this past week i went to the dmv office with the billof sale and title paperwork to get the bike registered the clerk looked over it and told me that i need to send the registration paperwork back to the dealer (i bought it thru txpowerports) so that the dealer can send proof that taxes where paid ,shouldnt i be able to pay taxes thru my dmv what can i do peeps thanks in advance

Old 11-23-2018, 05:52 PM   #2

Sales tax in my state is collected at the DMV. Property taxes are collected at the assessors' office and must be paid prior to title, reg, and tag. If you bought the bike new, you should have been supplied a receipt from the purchase and an MCO, manufacturer's certificate of origin. That should be all you need to get the bike legal.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:24 PM   #3

Here is what I did. I purchased a new Bull 200 from TX powersports. After receiving the ATV, I filled out the information to get the MCO title. Once I received the MCO title in the mail, I went to the DMV, provided a copy the purchase receipt that I received in my email, The MCO title, and a filled out application for title/registration form. On the form it does ask if sales tax was paid, which it was not in my case. The DMV charged me for sales tax and registration right then, and I was done.

You should just be able to tell the DMV that the sales tax was not paid for at the time of purchase, and you need to be charged for it. However if you did pay sales tax, and it does not show that you did on the receipt you will need to get documentation from TXpowersports, that way they can make the needed adjustments.

Hope this helps,

Douglass

Old 11-27-2018, 08:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar View Post
Hi guys i live in East Tennessee and i jus purchased a 2018 hawk 250, im really excited to get it on the road its my first bike and ive doneall the Maintence stuff on my own but this past week i went to the dmv office with the billof sale and title paperwork to get the bike registered the clerk looked over it and told me that i need to send the registration paperwork back to the dealer (i bought it thru txpowerports) so that the dealer can send proof that taxes where paid ,shouldnt i be able to pay taxes thru my dmv what can i do peeps thanks in advance
i have tagged 2 hawks and 2 magicians this year alone in tennessee.
maybe they are searching wrong make model in their database.
its in there for sure bc they all use same database. i can take a picture of my registration later tonight and send to you for making sure they are looking up correct make model....
you wont pay sales tax until you get tags and title....unless you lived in texas when purchased it and moved to tn. i work in a property assessors office locally and dmv does not clear property taxes in tn before issuing tags....and trustee collects property taxes in tn..

Old 11-27-2018, 09:45 AM   #5

bill of sale should have showed that no taxes were paid. something doesn't seem right. is there another DMV office within reasonable distance you can go to? you might get a different result. I'm in NC and they refused me, however, others have gotten theirs registered in other counties.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:45 AM   #6

you might also call the DMV directly and ask them for further details.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:06 AM   #7

Thanks alot guys everything went on so quick ii didn’t mention the bike was bought online the clerk just had said to me i need to send back the papers to texas imgoin to try again this week .......where do i get in application for registration at douglas thanks in advance

Old 04-08-2019, 11:28 PM   #8

You don't happen to be around the Morristown area? I live in Whitesburg, gotta visit the DMV off 25 and I'm hoping I don't have issues there! Registering a TBR7.

Tags
#hawk250