Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2018, 09:33 AM   #1

Csc sg250

Looking for a new bike and the csc sg250 looks amazing.
Will use mainly around town commuting but will need to take the occasional highway run (25-30 miles).
Anyone have experience with this bike? I know it fairly new but has same engine as the tt250.
Can this do the highway?
Also, how is the overall quality of the csc products?

Old 11-04-2018, 10:40 AM   #2

Welcome Jyonish (since it's your first post). I've done hundreds of miles on the highway on my TT250. The longest ride was 58 miles (93.3 km). The posted speed limit was as high as 70mph (112.6 km/hr). The engine itself will handle it fine. Just keep in mind that there is only so much an air cooled 230cc can do on the highway. You will never reach 70mph(112.6km/hr) unless it's down hill. It will slow down on slight inclines. I had to pull over once to allow traffic behind me to pass. Hope this helps.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:40 AM   #3

For $1995 this is a great deal for an around town commuter. If the TT250 is somewhat capable for use on the highway, the sg250 should be even better. CSC did post a top speed vid of the sg250 hitting a little over 70 on a stretch of the 210 freeway I'm very familiar with. It is a slightly downhill stretch surrounded by tall sound walls and berms that make a vacuum that suck you along; not sure what the riders weight/height was but these conditions were pretty ideal for top speed testing in a "best case scenario".

Street tires, lower seat height, lack of dual sport fenders, tank/cooling fairings should = much better aerodynamics. The biggest tax on my highway capability is definitely wind, although hills and high elevation have an impact too.

Also check out the SSR Snake Eyes bobber if you decide you want more freeway riding capability. It has the same suzuki based engine as my xf250 and it should be able to maintain 70 all day and a top speed of 80. I have seen new 2016's going for $1999, yes this is still $4 more than a 2018 sg250.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:49 AM   #4

I just realized the sg250 has a 4 gallon tank and kickstarter which is awesome.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:29 PM   #5

You can port the head & replace the carb to get a bit more top end. Not sure if an aftermarket exhaust is available or not. If not you can always cut the cat out for some more gains.

2014 Honda CB500XA
2016 CSC TT250
1976 Honda CJ360T
2022 Honda Navi

Old 11-15-2018, 09:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyonish11 View Post
Anyone have experience with this bike?

I have 9,000 miles on mine, my girlfriend has over 8k.
Rode up through the south on up to the northeast and back on them, without adjusting the jetting at any altitude (though that might have helped).
It took us from Florida through Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Virginia, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Delaware, North Carolina, South Carolina and back home to Florida.
We did do some interstate riding, but at higher speeds, you could tell it was working. Beyond 55, it did get vibey, but that's to expected with a single cylinder--which we also had cargo strapped to.

Quote:
Can this do the highway?

It will do highway, but if you're tryna keep up with 80MPH+ traffic, it's a fool's endeavor. If you're somewhere with speeds closer to 55-60 for a short spell, as long as you've got the nerves, you should be fine. Changing out your rear sprocket, might give you more top end, like folks have done with a 47 tooth on the TT250.

Quote:
Also, how is the overall quality of the csc products?

I've had issues getting my screw back into the seat and my speedo came loose once we started taking to the freeway more, but beside that, my bike's been fine. Though CSC says the bikes don't need premium, ours definitely seem to run better on ethanol-free (possibly owing to the old engine design, possibly owing to shitty ethanol in the northeast).
Based on my experience with this bike, I'm definitely considering the RX4 as a contender to Royal Enfield's Himalayan as my third bike I plan to purchase in 2019. If I had the money right now, I'd pick up an extra SG250 for teaching family and friends to ride.
It's not without it's quirks, but it's also full of perks for a cheap, small bike.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3 View Post

Did you post any video of your rides by chance?

Old 11-16-2018, 10:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh View Post
I just realized the sg250 has a 4 gallon tank and kickstarter which is awesome.
I joined the CCW Facebook group when they were only selling the bobber (da Heist), and get periodical posts. The most recent one was someone asking about getting a kick-starter retro-fitted to the Heist. We dual-sport owners have taken it for granted that a Chinese enduro will have both electric and kick starting availability, but judging by the CCW (and I am sure there are others which I have not really researched) street bikes don't have this handy feature; except the SG250.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 11-18-2018, 11:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essayons View Post
Did you post any video of your rides by chance?
No, I have very limited video of our riding. Left my GoPro mount at my sister's and never bothered getting a new one, while on the road.
And with my GF being a new rider, we were constantly playing catch up on riding time, so capturing video's what took the hit.

As it cools down here in Florida though, I can capture some en route to campsites and return here to share it.

Old 11-19-2018, 03:04 PM   #10

Quote:
No, I have very limited video of our riding. Left my GoPro mount at my sister's and never bothered getting a new one, while on the road.
And with my GF being a new rider, we were constantly playing catch up on riding time, so capturing video's what took the hit.

As it cools down here in Florida though, I can capture some en route to campsites and return here to share it.
I'm surprised I've yet to see a write-up of the SG250 on this forum yet. I was looking at buying one last summer, but I think I've changed my mind and will go for the TT250. Would still love to see pics and stuff.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhildoScaggins View Post
I'm surprised I've yet to see a write-up of the SG250 on this forum yet. I was looking at buying one last summer, but I think I've changed my mind and will go for the TT250. Would still love to see pics and stuff.
Read this thread.
http://chinariders.net/showthread.ph...ighlight=SG250
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 02-12-2019, 01:13 AM   #12

If you like the way the SG250 looks... take a look at the SSR Buccaneer. I was seriously considering the SG250 (mocha is the fastest color), but then I started researching the Italian designed (in cooperation with Italjet) Chinese-made Buccaneer... and maaaan it's purdy. It has a top speed in the low 80s, so more suited for highway riding, and I found one for $2888 plus tax tags and a $94 doc fee. ($3203 out the door). That's only about $500 more than an SG250, after you pay the taxes and tags yourself.

Granted, I had to look for a deal, and then travel to the dealership, but I think it'll be worth it for the dead sexy looks and the extra power. I take delivery this week!

That said... the SG250 is still a great bike and I still kinda want one... but my next bike will likely be an RX3 and not an SG250 now.

Charles.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:00 PM   #13

Quote:

Rode up through the south on up to the northeast and back on them, without adjusting the jetting at any altitude (though that might have helped).
It took us from Florida through Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Virginia, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Delaware, North Carolina, South Carolina and back home to Florida.
We did do some interstate riding, but at higher speeds, you could tell it was working. Beyond 55, it did get vibey, but that's to expected with a single cylinder--which we also had cargo strapped to.

It will do highway, but if you're tryna keep up with 80MPH+ traffic, it's a fool's endeavor. If you're somewhere with speeds closer to 55-60 for a short spell, as long as you've got the nerves, you should be fine. Changing out your rear sprocket, might give you more top end, like folks have done with a 47 tooth on the TT250.

I've had issues getting my screw back into the seat and my speedo came loose once we started taking to the freeway more, but beside that, my bike's been fine. Though CSC says the bikes don't need premium, ours definitely seem to run better on ethanol-free (possibly owing to the old engine design, possibly owing to shitty ethanol in the northeast).
Based on my experience with this bike, I'm definitely considering the RX4 as a contender to Royal Enfield's Himalayan as my third bike I plan to purchase in 2019. If I had the money right now, I'd pick up an extra SG250 for teaching family and friends to ride.
It's not without it's quirks, but it's also full of perks for a cheap, small bike.
This is one of the most informative "real world" experiences I've seen shared about this bike and by far the highest mileage referenced. All I can find elsewhere online aside from CSC's own marketing are "first ride" reviews from moto journos and a handful of unboxing videos on youtube. I'm considering this as my first bike whenever spring actually arrives in Minnesota. Anything further to report/any change in your assessment in the last 4 months?

Old 05-08-2019, 12:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
This is one of the most informative "real world" experiences I've seen shared about this bike and by far the highest mileage referenced. All I can find elsewhere online aside from CSC's own marketing are "first ride" reviews from moto journos and a handful of unboxing videos on youtube. I'm considering this as my first bike whenever spring actually arrives in Minnesota. Anything further to report/any change in your assessment in the last 4 months?
sorry for such a late response...
i'm still satisfied about 9 months later. our bikes were in that batch that had the speedo in km, but i responded to their email and i had a new speedo in 2 days.

my gf finally caught a flat Tuesday night on the way to work, but she waited too long to change the tires.
speaking of tires, those tires were faithful as hell going over some gnarly gravel on the way to a campsite. i never used the patch kit we brought.

i'm still gonna get another bike, but right now i can't bring myself to sell this off to fund that purchase (and i'm not wealthy LOL). my gf's still gonna end up getting a new carb from the time we purchased the crap ethanol. but between using B-12 Chemtool and now she's on to Seafoam and sticking to pure gas, her bike still faithfully takes her to work and across the bridge to Tampa to see her dad and back.

all in all, i would purchase again, but i wouldn't put the lowest grade of fuel in it, if i wasn't planning to run it off, before parking it again.

Old 10-07-2020, 07:33 PM   #15

Looking for aftermarket options on my SG250. Alternative folding levers are the most needed to help it fit my wife. Anyone with a second bike to test levers on? If we find the perch will accept, say, ninja 250 levers... Then folding levers will be easy.

I'd also like a folding shifter but first need to find out what compatible shifter+linkage will work.

Need someone with a second bike to measure and test a swap!