Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2018, 10:15 PM   #1

Head Scratching Wanna a starter bike but have a few ?s

I'm looking at the hawk 250 to get my moto life started. Almost bought my friends Honda 929 because of great price but I think I made right decision on passing on that. Ive watched a ton of youtube vids and the hawk seems right to start on and the price is perfect for starter bike. My main issue is Ive been trying to find a place preferably in NY that sells them built and they can do dmv stuff for me. The building is the main issue, i know i can put it together but I don't have a place where that can be done. If anyone knows of a place that fits my needs that would be great. Also i keep hearing conflicting stories about registering this and even insurance. I do not currently have a car or insurance and some youtube video said a lot of insurance companies wouldn't deal with him BC no car insurance. So if any fellow ny'ers could help me out with that it would be great. Sorry for the lengthy post but wanted you to have as much info as possible to give informed feedback. Thanks in advance

Old 08-17-2018, 01:52 AM   #2

I've heard of folks renting a Community garage or shop in costly congested city area's per hour so, NY has to have that. Craigslist or someone on HERE may help you...

If you get an MC license, which you should, Geico or ? will for sure insure you AROUND... guesstimate $100 a year? its cheaper than a car for sure.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:27 AM   #3

The Hawk will be a good starter bike. Especially in the city. Good bike cruising around the city and back roads. Not the best bike if you plan on hitting the main highways. Stock out the box don't expect to get above 55mph. But with a few mods like tuning the carb, decat or free flowing exhaust and the right gearing they can cruise 60-65 mph with no problem. All inexpensive mods.
As far as insurance, I have mine with Geico for $99 a year.

BTW welcome to the forum . Hope you find a place to work on it if you get one. They are fun little project bikes.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 08-17-2018, 08:28 AM   #4

https://www.txpowersports.com/ sells them all assembled. Some people hate them. I didn't have a problem. Not sure what to tell you about insurance and dmv. That differs by area and state. I use Geico. no problems with getting it insured but I had other motorcycles on the policy at the time. Lots of people have them registered in New York. You should be able to do it too.

If you decide to get one I am sure you will enjoy it. I love mine.

Old 08-17-2018, 12:51 PM   #5

found this post by SKELETON

"Hi Everyone,
So yesterday I took my paperwork to the DMV in Chautauqua County NY. Registered the Hawk as a motorcycle, got my plate and sticker and put it on the bike. Then I rode over to my local inspection shop and the bike was successfully inspected. This morning, I got a voicemail from the lady who registered the bike saying that it's an ATV, and that I have to come in and transfer the registration.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Everything on the DMV's website, under my account, is showing I'm good to go. I'm thinking about just ignoring the voicemail and seeing what happens. Any suggestions???"

Old 08-17-2018, 09:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh426 View Post
"Hi Everyone,
So yesterday I took my paperwork to the DMV in Chautauqua County NY. Registered the Hawk as a motorcycle, got my plate and sticker and put it on the bike. Then I rode over to my local inspection shop and the bike was successfully inspected. This morning, I got a voicemail from the lady who registered the bike saying that it's an ATV, and that I have to come in and transfer the registration.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Everything on the DMV's website, under my account, is showing I'm good to go. I'm thinking about just ignoring the voicemail and seeing what happens. Any suggestions???"
I live in Brooklyn NY and registered my storm with no issues. As long as your insurance has it down as a motorcycle I would ignore the VM.

Old 08-18-2018, 07:33 AM   #7

Welcome. My 2 cents on the Hawk as a starter bike.

Yes, they are great in the sense that you can beat the snot out of them, and then fix them for cheap. They are cheap to buy, really cheap to maintain, and cheap to upgrade.

Why I don't think they make good starter bikes comes down to you. Do you have the capability of performing what I would consider mild to moderate level mechanical work? These bikes are great and all, but they do come with some cheap parts, and they do require a bit of attention at first to really sort them out. If you don't have that ability, or have a good friend or relative that can help you, then think about it a little harder.

Also, even if it comes fully assembled, you will definitely still need a place that you can do work on it. I would not trust how the bike was assembled by whomever you purchase it through. It is still critical that you go over every nut and bolt, grease things like the swing arm pivot, and a few other odds and ends to really have a good solid bike.

I am not trying to talk you out of it, and if you are mechanically inclined and willing to learn, then it is a great bike. I love my Hawk, but I just want to be as realistic with you as I can be so you make an informed decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeenNY View Post
Sorry for the lengthy post...
You have obviously not seen some of my posts if you think yours was lengthy.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124