Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2018, 01:37 PM   #1

Chunk of aluminum in oil

I changed my oil this morning and found this chunk and a couple flakes of aluminum. This is the 4 or 5th oil change and I found a couple little flakes in the first change and did not worry about it. This chunk is fairly significant.

Bike starts and runs the same. I did install an oil cooler on my last change 3 months ago or so. Could it be from that? Or should I even worry about it?

Here is a pic. The dirt on my glove is from picking up my oil pan the oil only had 200-250 miles on it I estimate and looked pretty good. (My speedo stopped working so I guess mileage)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chunk.jpg (40.2 KB, 193 views)

Old 07-05-2018, 02:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundhouse View Post
I changed my oil this morning and found this chunk and a couple flakes of aluminum. This is the 4 or 5th oil change and I found a couple little flakes in the first change and did not worry about it. This chunk is fairly significant.

Bike starts and runs the same. I did install an oil cooler on my last change 3 months ago or so. Could it be from that? Or should I even worry about it?

Here is a pic. The dirt on my glove is from picking up my oil pan the oil only had 200-250 miles on it I estimate and looked pretty good. (My speedo stopped working so I guess mileage)
I think the first thing I would do is check the centrifigal oil seperator. Located right next to the clutch. What you see in there should guide yor future actions...ARH

Old 07-05-2018, 04:10 PM   #3

It's probably from the oil cooler. I found a few slivers of aluminum in the oil screen on my 1st oil change after installing my cooler but nothing in the base.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 07-05-2018, 05:36 PM   #4

I will check the filter. Thanks.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:59 PM   #5

some say everything gets better after it wears in, I changed my oil today and found three small aluminum chips in the oil. until it spits out half the piston I'm not gonna worry about it. These motors are pretty tuff. if it keeps spitting out metal then I'd worry.

2017 Bashan Storm
Keihen PZ30 Pumper Carb,115 main jet,35 pilot jet, gutted factory exhaust, Sambo Digital Speedometer,LED blinkers, H4 headlight,D.I.D X-ring chain 428,17/42 sprockets,UNI cone filter.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:18 PM   #6

HAHA, I hope not. There were a few tiny flakes when I changed the oil the first time but the until this one nothing.

It is what it is. I will just keep riding it and hope it lasts.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:43 AM   #7

I wouldn't worry too much if it hasn't lost power and is running well ,these Chinese motors while very basic are tough usually overall.That said their price point is really low and that entails some economy of motion so some rough castings are unavoidable, etc.They get the big stuff that matters right but they don't spend a lot of time polishing / deburring casting flash or even blowing out milling flakes with compressed air, etc and I'd bet that bit is exactly what that piece is ,that finally worked its way down .It kinda goes with the absolutely horrible quality fluids they use for everything at the factory ,they have to cut corners somewhere to sell as low as they do so some machining clean up processes are sketchy at best and the fork oil to the brake fluid might as well be mop water ., but that's just part of what owning a China bike comes with ,and easily enough corrected !

I think you will be fine, you are changing the oil out a lot and thats the big and important thing ,about every third change try to hit the screens / filters /spinner and you should be golden.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:27 AM   #8

I second the Oil cooler being the source. One thing you will find is a far more common thing in the cheap world of chinese parts is something called swarf. In simple terms, chips, filings, flakes, etc from machining processes. That is one reason I changed my oil so often on my first Hawk, and why I will do it again with the new one.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 07-06-2018, 08:32 PM   #9

Thanks fellas, I blew through the hose and cooler with a couple good puffs of compressed air. I did not see anything come out but who knows.

I will check closely on my next oil change in 300 miles.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:07 PM   #10

I also had some very small flakes of aluminum in my oil after installing 1st cooler. Hopefully I don't find a larger surprise in my oil after 2nd cooler went on. I will find out in 100 miles or so.