Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2018, 04:27 PM   #1

Vader build questions

So I bought a Vader. I like a challenge, the underdog. But I have a lot of questions lol. I'm looking at the grom ohlins fork internals. Does anyone know how close the Vader forks are to the grom forks? What about brake pads? Can I run grom EBC pads?

I haven't smiled from a motorcycle so much since my Daytona 675 race bike. Here is the Vader as it sits waiting for rearsets and a new brake disc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180605_183012.jpg (98.5 KB, 550 views)

Old 06-09-2018, 06:31 PM   #2

Nice. haven't seen a white one. Where did you get it?

Old 06-10-2018, 03:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganlexow View Post
So I bought a Vader. I like a challenge, the underdog. But I have a lot of questions lol. I'm looking at the grom ohlins fork internals. Does anyone know how close the Vader forks are to the grom forks? What about brake pads? Can I run grom EBC pads?

I haven't smiled from a motorcycle so much since my Daytona 675 race bike. Here is the Vader as it sits waiting for rearsets and a new brake disc.
Hey Logan - the brake pads should be the same, though I replaced the whole caliper instead of using the stock one on these clones. I also purchased aftermarket SS lines, and didn't have an issue with the installation. As far as the forks, I assume you should be ok with the replacement as long as you purchase the parts for a first gen Grom (2014-2016). I've had a lot of success with replacement parts from Partzilla using this model year.

Most of the differences between parts seem to be some of the cosmetics (panels, some lights, things like that) and the fuel delivery of the engine (fuel injection vs carburetor). Other than that, you should be good to go.

EDIT: And mounting an aftermarket exhaust can cause issues, since on some of these bikes there is a mount missing on the swingarm for a low mount exhaust. Looking at yours, you might be ok in this department, but keep it in mind should you ever want to move the exhaust next to the swingarm.

Last edited by siikmonkee; 06-10-2018 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Added information

Old 06-10-2018, 10:31 PM   #4

[QUOTE=siikmonkee;282899]Hey Logan - the brake pads should be the same, though I replaced the whole caliper instead of using the stock one on these clones. I also purchased aftermarket SS lines, and didn't have an issue with the installation. As far as the forks, I assume you should be ok with the replacement as long as you purchase the parts for a first gen Grom (2014-2016). I've had a lot of success with replacement parts from Partzilla using this model year.

Siikmonkee what caliper did you go with?

Old 06-11-2018, 01:57 AM   #5

I had to replace the rear caliper when I got the bike, since there was a hole in the other one. Here, let me post the assembly here:

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ho...-brake-caliper

It was a direct fit, didn't have to modify anything. I have very little doubt that the pads would work for the stock caliper as well, though I didn't personally try fitting the old pads.

Old 06-11-2018, 03:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by siikmonkee View Post
I had to replace the rear caliper when I got the bike, since there was a hole in the other one. Here, let me post the assembly here:

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ho...-brake-caliper

It was a direct fit, didn't have to modify anything. I have very little doubt that the pads would work for the stock caliper as well, though I didn't personally try fitting the old pads.
Did you buy all the part on that link? or just the

CALIPER SUB-ASSY., RR. (NISSIN)
and the PAD SET, RR.

Old 06-11-2018, 01:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinabike View Post
Did you buy all the part on that link? or just the

CALIPER SUB-ASSY., RR. (NISSIN)
and the PAD SET, RR.
Just the assembly (which is all the parts) and the pads. Looking at the parts this morning, they look extremely similar...I imagine I have some spare parts should I ever need them.

Just ordered the front and rear rotors as well as a test to see if they are direct replacements. I'll post something (probably a new thread, I've been meaning to make a 'beginners guide of all things anklebiter') once I've received them and had a chance to do the install.

Old 06-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #8

this is my bike, every parts you see is from a grom,wheels,exhaust, swig arm disc,handle bar,rear fender, rearlowering kit, every thing from a grom fits
Attached Images
File Type: jpg exh1.jpg (97.0 KB, 502 views)

Old 06-12-2018, 08:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinabike View Post
Nice. haven't seen a white one. Where did you get it?
Holy smokes, go camping for one weekend and all of a sudden everything blows up lol. I bought them from Venom Motorsports.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Hey Logan - the brake pads should be the same, though I replaced the whole caliper instead of using the stock one on these clones. I also purchased aftermarket SS lines, and didn't have an issue with the installation. As far as the forks, I assume you should be ok with the replacement as long as you purchase the parts for a first gen Grom (2014-2016). I've had a lot of success with replacement parts from Partzilla using this model year.

Most of the differences between parts seem to be some of the cosmetics (panels, some lights, things like that) and the fuel delivery of the engine (fuel injection vs carburetor). Other than that, you should be good to go.

EDIT: And mounting an aftermarket exhaust can cause issues, since on some of these bikes there is a mount missing on the swingarm for a low mount exhaust. Looking at yours, you might be ok in this department, but keep it in mind should you ever want to move the exhaust next to the swingarm.
This is RAD! Thank you for this! I just purchased an Area 21 floating disc and it got like a glove. I found out the hard way about the exhaust. No worries because I took a cheap pit bike muffler, hacked off the stock header in front of the cat and Bob's your uncle. I think I'll take a chance on the ohlins fork internals. I did swap my fork oil with 20w but now it doesn't rebound lol. This is going to be a corner carver. I may order up a 146 BB tonight too.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:24 AM   #11

What rear sprocket is everyone using? I'd like to drop to a 32t but have had a hard time finding one. I just found a JTR 802.32 in a 428. Or can anyone tell me if a front 420 sprocket can be found in a 17t? That would really make me happy lol.

Edit: NM, I find a front sprocket easily enough. Still don't know about the rear sprocket sizing though.

Old 06-13-2018, 03:51 PM   #12

Quote:
What rear sprocket is everyone using? I'd like to drop to a 32t but have had a hard time finding one. I just found a JTR 802.32 in a 428. Or can anyone tell me if a front 420 sprocket can be found in a 17t? That would really make me happy lol.

Edit: NM, I find a front sprocket easily enough. Still don't know about the rear sprocket sizing though.
My current setup on my Hellcat is a 17T front and a 32T back. It picks up +2-3mph on the top end (I'm hitting about 65-67mph tops) but I might go back to the 34T in the rear if I'm gonna be flat with you. I was hitting 60 pretty solid with the stock rear and 17T front without too much problem off the line. Hills are still meh either way, but for normal cruising, that's just about perfect.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:24 PM   #13

Quote:
My current setup on my Hellcat is a 17T front and a 32T back. It picks up +2-3mph on the top end (I'm hitting about 65-67mph tops) but I might go back to the 34T in the rear if I'm gonna be flat with you. I was hitting 60 pretty solid with the stock rear and 17T front without too much problem off the line. Hills are still meh either way, but for normal cruising, that's just about perfect.
That's great feedback, thank you.

Has anyone solved the motor mounts coming lose yet? I added loctite and a lock washer but they still come lose on the regular.

Here's an updated pic from last night from me fucking around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20180614-220053.jpg (8.1 KB, 521 views)

Old 06-15-2018, 01:35 PM   #14

Quote:
That's great feedback, thank you.

Has anyone solved the motor mounts coming lose yet? I added loctite and a lock washer but they still come lose on the regular.

Here's an updated pic from last night from me fucking around.
Are you using the stock bolts? I swapped the rear one for a 5/16 6" bolt, threw a lock washer on there, and it seems to do 100 times better than the stock length.

For one, it's not stripping the threads or breaking the bolt anymore, lol. But it also seems to stay pretty tight.

Old 06-15-2018, 04:44 PM   #15

Doh!

Quote:
Are you using the stock bolts? I swapped the rear one for a 5/16 6" bolt, threw a lock washer on there, and it seems to do 100 times better than the stock length.

For one, it's not stripping the threads or breaking the bolt anymore, lol. But it also seems to stay pretty tight.
Honestly I keep forgetting to stop by the hardware store to grab a new bolt. You make my brain hurt because it's a 6mm bolt through the engine, but you're saying 5/16" which is an 8mm. I've found a few places where the factory used too small of a bolt in too large of a hole. I will make it a point today to get new bolts ugh.