Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2018, 10:01 PM   #1

Hellcat ride over Sherman Pass Ca.

I took the Hellcat on a nice 60 mile ride. I started just a few miles north of Kernville Ca. and rode along the beautiful Kern river for about 10 miles before turning off on the Sherman Pass road. Sherman Pass road is a twisty and narrow road that climbs from about 3500 ft to the summit at 9200 ft in about 10 miles and then drops down into the Kern Plateau with some awesome views along the way. I had concerns about how my bike would run at high elevations but it was not an issue at all, it ran perfect the whole way! Really fun ride!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shermansummit.jpg (98.8 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg photo (4) - Edited.jpg (94.2 KB, 234 views)

Old 06-07-2018, 01:19 AM   #2

Nice that Hellcat power!
What was your average speed through the pass.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellkitty View Post
I took the Hellcat on a nice 60 mile ride. I started just a few miles north of Kernville Ca. and rode along the beautiful Kern river for about 10 miles before turning off on the Sherman Pass road. Sherman Pass road is a twisty and narrow road that climbs from about 3500 ft to the summit at 9200 ft in about 10 miles and then drops down into the Kern Plateau with some awesome views along the way. I had concerns about how my bike would run at high elevations but it was not an issue at all, it ran perfect the whole way! Really fun ride!
Right on. Sounds like a blast. What's the furthest you've rode it?

Old 06-07-2018, 07:47 AM   #4

Nice pics Glad you had a nice ride. Looks like some beautiful country.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 06-07-2018, 08:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinabike View Post
Nice that Hellcat power!
What was your average speed through the pass.
Average speed was between 30 and 35 mph, i wasnt trying to push it to hard, was able to pull most of it in 4th gear, occasionally having to shift down to 3rd on the steeper sections. The road is not that well maintained, lots of loose gravel and some pot holes, coming down the other side my front tire slid out on some gravel on a turn, by some miracle I was able to gather it together, I though for sure I was going down. I have some Gopro footage that I need to edit. I'll be posting it on youtube in the next few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essayons View Post
Right on. Sounds like a blast. What's the furthest you've rode it?
This is by far the furthest I rode it. The main reason I bought it is that I wanted something that was easy to transport to take with me on camping trips to explore back roads.

Old 06-08-2018, 03:10 PM   #6

its nice to see this, my brother wants to buy this bike.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:37 PM   #7

My son rode a grom for his motorcycle safety course. He has been eyeing one of these little bikes. I sure wouldn't mind adding one to the family.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:26 PM   #8

It a great lil bike, I really like it. My biggest gripe is the cheap plastic fairings and trim pieces. Mine have already broke/cracked in several places. I hear first gen Grom fairings will fit, but I'm not 100% sure. What I really would like to do is strip it down to make it look like a Honda Ape but with a horizontal engine. It might be a challenge to find a fuel tank/seat combo that would work. My fabrication skills are limited but I think it would be a fun project. Any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ape.jpg (23.5 KB, 188 views)

Old 06-09-2018, 12:49 AM   #9

Quote:
What I really would like to do is strip it down to make it look like a Honda Ape but with a horizontal engine. It might be a challenge to find a fuel tank/seat combo that would work. My fabrication skills are limited but I think it would be a fun project. Any suggestions?
Would love to take that journey with you. I hate the fairings, would love to make the hellcat less street fighter like.

Old 06-09-2018, 01:38 AM   #10

Quote:
What I really would like to do is strip it down to make it look like a Honda Ape but with a horizontal engine. It might be a challenge to find a fuel tank/seat combo that would work. My fabrication skills are limited but I think it would be a fun project. Any suggestions?
Try to find a Lifan clone of the APE we had a few short years ago (2016, or '17?). Had a 99cc engine, could hit about 55 to 60 stock, and was getting popular, and then American Lifan stopped selling them when they ran out of them; this was just before we got the KP/KPR 200, etc. last year. It was called the Pony. Try calling American Lifan for all it is worth to see if they have any parts.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 06-09-2018, 01:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Would love to take that journey with you. I hate the fairings, would love to make the hellcat less street fighter like.
The APE would take nicely to knobby tires, for light off-roading duties. What about the Hellcat?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 06-09-2018, 01:45 AM   #12

Getting off subject, but since you mentioned APEs and I mentioned we had clones a couple years ago via American Lifan, this is what they show on their Chinese corporate site:

One with street tires:
http://www.lifanmotos.net/product/mn...-03-23/52.html

and one with knobby tires
http://www.lifanmotos.net/product/mn...-03-23/51.html

I wish American Lifan kept these in their lineup, but I am guessing they thought these would cut into the KP Mini 150 sales.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 06-09-2018, 02:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Try to find a Lifan clone of the APE we had a few short years ago (2016, or '17?). Had a 99cc engine, could hit about 55 to 60 stock, and was getting popular, and then American Lifan stopped selling them when they ran out of them; this was just before we got the KP/KPR 200, etc. last year. It was called the Pony. Try calling American Lifan for all it is worth to see if they have any parts.
I actually ordered a Lifan Pony. I was initially told by American Power Sports that it was Calif. legal. After about a week or so when it still hadn't shipped I emailed them and they informed me that it wasn't Calif legal so I cancelled the order. I almost wish I bought it anyway just to have it.

Old 06-09-2018, 03:17 PM   #14

Quote:
I actually ordered a Lifan Pony. I was initially told by American Power Sports that it was Calif. legal. After about a week or so when it still hadn't shipped I emailed them and they informed me that it wasn't Calif legal so I cancelled the order. I almost wish I bought it anyway just to have it.
The pony is way cooler then the KP mini.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:47 PM   #15

Quote:
The pony is way cooler then the KP mini.
Probably why they didn't continue them...cheaper bike selling like hotcakes cutting into KP Mini sales

TGB Delivery Scooter 150