Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2018, 03:58 PM   #1

Grom Clone Speedometer Replacement and Wiring Diagram for Aftermarket

So... needed to replace the speedometer on my Icebear Fuerza. Had called the dealership I got my motorcycle from and they called the distributor (Icebear) and was quoted about $100 for the speedometer.

Figured this info would be useful to everyone else here...

Didn't want to shell out that much and ended up finding this on Amazon (with Prime shipping )

https://www.amazon.com/Samdo-Univers...do+speedometer

Bolts right up and hooks up to the existing wire harness. Total of 3 plugs.

Below is the wiring diagram (had to do a bit of Google searching) in case someone wants to use a different speedometer.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:53 PM   #2

Send a message via ICQ to J-May
Have you installed this yet? My speedometer is wayyy off due to the incorrect tire size being used. I am trying to program the correct size in so that I'm not ringing up hundreds of extra miles. But I have been unsuccessful in programming a new size in. Any help would be appreciated. Currently my true gps speed of 55mph is displayed as between 73-75mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlfpck View Post
So... needed to replace the speedometer on my Icebear Fuerza. Had called the dealership I got my motorcycle from and they called the distributor (Icebear) and was quoted about $100 for the speedometer.

Figured this info would be useful to everyone else here...

Didn't want to shell out that much and ended up finding this on Amazon (with Prime shipping )

https://www.amazon.com/Samdo-Univers...do+speedometer

Bolts right up and hooks up to the existing wire harness. Total of 3 plugs.

Below is the wiring diagram (had to do a bit of Google searching) in case someone wants to use a different speedometer.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:59 PM   #3

Send a message via ICQ to J-May
Just figured this out for the stock factory dash unit.
Made a post for changing the wheel size which can be found here http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=21714

Old 07-10-2018, 05:55 AM   #4

That's an awesome " How To " post J-May., thanks for that !
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 07-11-2018, 02:14 PM   #5

I've installed it... but I did not get it programmed or anything like that. The speedo was off by like 5 mph (from GPS) from the factory so I didn't think too much of it.

But nice job on the write up. That should help a bunch of people out.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:39 PM   #6

Quote:
I've installed it... but I did not get it programmed or anything like that. The speedo was off by like 5 mph (from GPS) from the factory so I didn't think too much of it.

But nice job on the write up. That should help a bunch of people out.
Did your rpm gauge work off of the stock tach wire. Mounting mines and the it didnt work. Directions say i must tap it into the triggle wire. Read online that i must wire directly to the pulse generator. Unsure if its the same thing.

The nuetral light also does not shit off in any gear. It marks the other gear but the N stays lit. Not a short in the wires as i ran the wire all the way back and jumped it out with a new wire to both the connectors it splits into and had the same affect

Old 09-18-2018, 01:33 PM   #7

I just plugged the new one in and it worked for me.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:32 PM   #8

Quote:
I just plugged the new one in and it worked for me.

Figured it out. Had some wires that had some copper strands hanging out and shorting them out. Fixed them and it fixed my issue with the nuetral light and it nor reading rpms. Also spliced into the red wire that goes into the ignition switch to provide a constant power supply to the cluster so it saves its programming. Now just need to mount the speed sensor and i will be all set with it. Am thinking of making some knd of bracket, although it was recommended to just drill and mount it on the fork guard

Old 09-19-2018, 01:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pochito413 View Post
Figured it out. Had some wires that had some copper strands hanging out and shorting them out. Fixed them and it fixed my issue with the nuetral light and it nor reading rpms. Also spliced into the red wire that goes into the ignition switch to provide a constant power supply to the cluster so it saves its programming. Now just need to mount the speed sensor and i will be all set with it. Am thinking of making some knd of bracket, although it was recommended to just drill and mount it on the fork guard
Good stuff. What bike do you have?