Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2008, 02:02 PM   #1

Hummer 250, i really need help, it sits up way too high.

Hi guys, i've bought a zongshen hummer 250cc off road dirt bike. However, the rear suspension is so high i can't even get on the bike, my feet don't touch the ground. I have tried adjusting the spring preoad but it dose'nt really lower it any. Please can someone help, is there anyway to lower the rear shock, i really hope there is otherwise the bike won't be suitable for me as im not that tall. Cheers
Johnny

Old 01-14-2008, 03:31 PM   #2

How tall to the lowest point of the seat, and what is your inseam?

Alot of the really tall bikes (motocross "copies") are designed so you can just put one foot down when stopped.

I feel your pain though, i'm only 5' 6", some bikes are just too dang tall!

Old 01-14-2008, 04:01 PM   #3

Hiya, thanks for your reply, i'm roughly 5'8 - 5'9 tall. The seat of my bike measures around 88-89 cm from the floor to lowest point of the seat. I think i have read somewhere on the net, that the saddle height is 88cm.

However, does this mean 88cm from the top of the seat, or 88cm from the lowest point of the seat?

I really don't want to have to sell the bike, if it comes to the point where i can't make the bike lower, i will have to fit a smaller shock absorber. Which would be a shame on the handling aspect, since the orginal shock has lots of travel, has a huge nitrogen gas psi, adjustable spring preload, rebound rate and damping rate. I see alot of shocks of gas adjustable shocks for sale on UK ebay for pit bikes. I could look into it to see if they are too small, and fitment and so forth.
But hopefully i won't have to, if some one here can make my day and let me know if there is any way to lower the rear suspension, apart from making a new top mount. Thanks
Johnny

Old 01-14-2008, 04:07 PM   #4

Also, i have compared pictures on the net of 250cc hummer's, and compared to looking at my bike, the rear swinging arm is much more slanted or at a more vertical angle than pic's of others. Obviously because the shock is higher.

If someone can tell me excatly how to post pictures on this forum i could post a pic of how the swinging arm is angled and an idea of the height of the bike. BTW i have a photobucket account so i can host pictures.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:25 PM   #5

If You have Photo bucket all You need is the code address for the picture and paste it in the reply screen.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:10 AM   #6

Few things you could do :

There are a few things you can do :
1. Smaller shock, then if you can , raise the front fork tubes into the tripple trees ackordningly so the hight is still the same back to front or it is going to handle badly.
2. Change shock loacation if you can under seat New bracket placement, yes welding involved . But, front forks still have to be lowered too .
3. Smaller Rims and Tires is a real option too. Problem solved .
4. Grow , just kidding, and I feel your pain because at 6' on my bike it is still very high . If your going to grow any then deal with it for awhile till you do . If not, mods will have to be done. Not being able to touch the ground and only with one foot seams like a really bad option and your going to get hurt more than likely. That bikes rips butt and I sure would want total control of my feet on or off it. JMHO of course.

Good luck and I hope that provides some options and hope ???

Later, Kelly5150 out

Old 01-15-2008, 11:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny27
Hiya, thanks for your reply, i'm roughly 5'8 - 5'9 tall. The seat of my bike measures around 88-89 cm from the floor to lowest point of the seat. I think i have read somewhere on the net, that the saddle height is 88cm.

However, does this mean 88cm from the top of the seat, or 88cm from the lowest point of the seat?

I really don't want to have to sell the bike, if it comes to the point where i can't make the bike lower, i will have to fit a smaller shock absorber. Which would be a shame on the handling aspect, since the orginal shock has lots of travel, has a huge nitrogen gas psi, adjustable spring preload, rebound rate and damping rate. I see alot of shocks of gas adjustable shocks for sale on UK ebay for pit bikes. I could look into it to see if they are too small, and fitment and so forth.
But hopefully i won't have to, if some one here can make my day and let me know if there is any way to lower the rear suspension, apart from making a new top mount. Thanks
Johnny
I think that is usually lowest point. 89cm works out to about 35" for us stateside.

I think the best solution is the lower the forks and the upper rear shock mount. If you can weld or know someone that does then it shouldn't be too difficult to lower it about 1.5 inches or 4cm.

If you need a significant height reduction then smaller wheels is about the best bet.

Allen

Old 01-15-2008, 01:28 PM   #8

You know

You know you could Modify your seat too and take out at least wo inches of padding and go with stiffer padding and gain another 2" easilly if you can't get all the drop you need in your suspension. Pretty easy fix too.

You also should be able to unscrew your Shock coil and lower it that way too, then gas it up big time to rebound it better from the dropping of the coil ???
Just a thought .

Hope someone here comes up with a useable idea for you though, we have given you just about all your going to find though .

Yo Kotoranger, great ideas you had, I wonder if you happened to read my post prior to yours or if your just a genius too, LOL !!!

Later, kelly out

Old 01-15-2008, 11:19 PM   #9

I second the idea of doing a seat mod.

Shaving the seat is really easy, no welding required!!!

It'll give you that "freestyle motocross" look too :twisted:

Depending on your seat, it may be easier to shave foam out of the bottom so that the top stays in the original shape. However, if the pad is glued really well to the seat pan, you can always just chop some out of the top.

Then just restaple the cover and you're ready to roll.

You might just need to set your sag on your suspension too. Usually the suspension compresses a bit from just your body weight being on the bike. But if you're doing really hard riding, a stiffer suspension would probably suit you better.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:47 PM   #10

hey you could let the air out of the tires.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:57 AM   #11

Oncedead

Oncedead , " Let the air out fo the tires."

Now thats funny !!!
I don't care who you are, thats funny stuff right there !

Later, Cheers, 5150

Old 01-16-2008, 11:09 AM   #12

Re: Oncedead

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly5150
Oncedead , " Let the air out fo the tires."

Now thats funny !!!
I don't care who you are, thats funny stuff right there !

Later, Cheers, 5150
why did he say that

Old 01-16-2008, 01:28 PM   #13

Well Johnny27 , and ABC Powersports

Well Johnny27,
did you ponder any of this info yet, and if so whats the verdict ? I sure hope you didn't get too discouraged ? Feel free to email me if you need someone to walk you through some of this stuff, just post me here and I will e-mail you elsewhere . Good luck .

ABCpowersports ? Your kidding right ? Your product line is outrageously high priced .
Feedom of speech is still present here in the USA, so heres mine, hope to not be moderated to death for it, but I will understadn if it gets deleted, no harsh feelings here Frostbite if you do, but I got to say something .

I really wish I felt you "ABCpowersports" were here to actually provide a reputable service at reasonable prices to REALLLLLLY GOOD PEOPLE here on the forum , but in my not so humble opinion, you appear to be just another Vulcher , overcharging fine folks for products I know can be had at half your prices . It appears your preying on unfortunate experiences of others and thier nievity of not knowing about the machines they buy or nievity of nott knowign how to work on them , diagnos them, etc, etc....
It is ok for you to come here and post, its your right until your banned of course, but trying to sell your product on every post and not providing any real useful info is becomming annoying at best, for me .
The end

On a usefull note here , I will post an issue of relevance to my problems at County Imports about a new Dealer and the very good service of a Rep at Roketa main headquarters after our problems with County Imports.
I do believe this is Johnny27's forum here, so I won't waist anyone elses time here.

Cheers, Good day ! Kelly5150out

Old 01-16-2008, 02:05 PM   #14

Quote:
ABCpowersports ? Your kidding right ? Your product line is outrageously high priced .
Feedom of speech is still present here in the USA, so heres mine, hope to not be moderated to death for it, but I will understadn if it gets deleted, no harsh feelings here Frostbite if you do, but I got to say something .

I really wish I felt you "ABCpowersports" were here to actually provide a reputable service at reasonable prices to REALLLLLLY GOOD PEOPLE here on the forum , but in my not so humble opinion, you appear to be just another Vulcher , overcharging fine folks for products I know can be had at half your prices . It appears your preying on unfortunate experiences of others and thier nievity of not knowing about the machines they buy or nievity of nott knowign how to work on them , diagnos them, etc, etc....
It is ok for you to come here and post, its your right until your banned of course, but trying to sell your product on every post and not providing any real useful info is becomming annoying at best, for me .
Stop the thread hijacking please. If you have a problem with abcpowersports take it up with him, don't post your rant in someone else's thread.

BTW, freedom of speech indeed exists outside of the US, but some of us like to exercise some restraint and save it for the appropriate forum (or thread as the case may be).

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"