Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2007, 09:32 PM   #1

Assembly ok except for this last, mystery bolt....

Hi All,
New and excited owner of AL150GY. My first bike to learn to ride on.
Put it together and it starts, runs, stalls, drives around the backyard, throws riders - she's a fiesty red-headed wench - still haven't coordinated clutch, braking, throttle, balance, momentum - hellofalotof physics and control going on all at once but it sure is fun. Already broke the mirror. Lesson #23 - leave the damn mirrors, lights and blinkers off till you know how to drive! hehehe. :twisted:

My pops still wonders why it came without an assembly manual! :?
Regardless, front wheel, axle, speedo cluster, handlebar, throttle, wiring in multiple orders and assemblies, check, A OK.
Lube the speedo gear and cable you say - how?
8O

Back wheel, chain, adjusters( Dad, will you hurry up?! This damn bike is heavier than I am and it is hard holding up the bike by the back rack! Obviously the axle bolt is going to have to come back out if we want the chain to go on the sprocket! You can't do that cause you don't know how? Figure it out and hurry up cause this bike is getting heavy!!),
battery ( yes Dad, my little trickle charger should be able to charge the battery - at least I hope so cause it is all we have),
kickstand spring (ouch! double ouch !! and triple ouch!!! Ok, there has to be another way (screwdriver, hammer, pliers) cause my hand is starting to hurt. Oh yeah dad? How much if I manage to just pull it onto the stub? Free bike, huh?).
Even got cocky and went for the carb adjustment by rising the needle and adjusting the air idle screw(?) on the side. :twisted:
But how do you get in to adjust the front whatchamacallit adj. screw for the famous 2.5 turns out from fully closed? What ? I have to pull the whole damn carb out?!?! There ain't no cable pull for the seat on this damn finely engineered legacy machine from Chairman Mao.
Welding classes obviously weren't part of the communist revolution and subsequent "liberation".

So, the only thing I couldn't figure out is this leftover mystery bolt and by my standards, that aint too bad since I only been near, or on a motorcycle once in my life.
I have a pic but don't know how to load it here. 13 or 15mm bolt x 25 mm long (or 1 inch of you prefer) with washer and drilled for cotter pin with slotted nut for cotter pin and of course, a cotter pin? Has 8.8 stamped on bolthead. Any clues anyone??? How can I load a pic on here?
Right mouse click copy and paste doesn't work for me. I know without a pic, this may be silly, but there was only one in the bolt bags so it has to be unique.

Thx for the help and salute to my fellow AZ riders!

Old 12-15-2007, 01:04 PM   #2

Welcome from the wonderful paradise, aka Yuma . When (if....) I can get my next bike, we (AZ riders and anyone else who wants to join us) should take a ride somewhere here among the cactus. We might hold up traffic, but if we ride armed, the road rage should be to a minimum :twisted:

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 12-15-2007, 03:30 PM   #3

Re: Assembly ok except for this last, mystery bolt....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTV8
Hi All,
New and excited owner of AL150GY. My first bike to learn to ride on.
Put it together and it starts, runs, stalls, drives around the backyard, throws riders - she's a fiesty red-headed wench - still haven't coordinated clutch, braking, throttle, balance, momentum - hellofalotof physics and control going on all at once but it sure is fun. Already broke the mirror. Lesson #23 - leave the damn mirrors, lights and blinkers off till you know how to drive! hehehe. :twisted:

My pops still wonders why it came without an assembly manual! :?
Regardless, front wheel, axle, speedo cluster, handlebar, throttle, wiring in multiple orders and assemblies, check, A OK.
Lube the speedo gear and cable you say - how?
8O

I just spray chain lube in my cable housing, the gear ... I just pump a bit of lithium into the housing.

Obviously the axle bolt is going to have to come back out if we want the chain to go on the sprocket! You can't do that cause you don't know how?

Be sure the opening on the master link clip is facing the back of the bike (the trailing end of the link), they can sometimes come off and cause you to throw the chain, not likely, but it has happened before.

Even got c--- and went for the carb adjustment by rising the needle and adjusting the air idle screw(?) on the side. :twisted:
But how do you get in to adjust the front whatchamacallit adj. screw for the famous 2.5 turns out from fully closed?
look on the right hand side of the carb, should be a knurled screw there.

I have a pic but don't know how to load it here. 13 or 15mm bolt x 25 mm long (or 1 inch of you prefer) with washer and drilled for cotter pin with slotted nut for cotter pin and of course, a cotter pin? Has 8.8 stamped on bolthead. Any clues anyone???
Might be to hold the rear brake in place, I'm not familiar with you bike, so I'm just guessing. Just go over EVERYTHING and be sure nothing might come loose/off. Triple check, don't risk getting hurt.
Thx for the help and salute to my fellow AZ riders!
Hmm... I'm in Tennessee, but you're welcome anyway!

Old 12-15-2007, 11:23 PM   #4

thx

Nice to meet you Mr Yuma. I think there are a few others on here from Az, have you meet any or had rides together? I think that is a great idea and up for a cactus run for sure! Just as soon as I graduate my riding skills past first gear and stalling....

Thx knothead for the tips and info. Still can't see where that mystery bolt goes and I am waiting for a response from frostbite as to how to post my pic of this cotter pinned bolt and nut. Will check the back brake again.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:34 AM   #5

Re: thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTV8
Thx knothead for the tips and info. Still can't see where that mystery bolt goes and I am waiting for a response from frostbite as to how to post my pic of this cotter pinned bolt and nut. Will check the back brake again.
To post pics I just upload them to www.allyoucanupload.com and link them here.
When you post there are some buttons above the editor. To post a pic, hit the "Img" button, you'll get this: [img]
then you cut and paste the url from the last box that's labeled "direct link to image" (as soon as you upload your image you'll see what I'm talking about).
Then hit the "Img" button again to get:[/img] at the end of the url for your pic.

And when you upload, if you haven't resized the image already you can choose to have it done for you. I'd suggest no larger than 640x480.

Like this.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:23 PM   #6

Dude, that is a way cool bike, what is that?

For the other AZers here, I'd be down with doing an AZ ride some time.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantsForNukes
Dude, that is a way cool bike, what is that?

For the other AZers here, I'd be down with doing an AZ ride some time.
Lifan LF-250 in a custom frame... not my bike (random net pic) but if you swapped in a Norton twin (or a built Briggs v-twin ) it would be very close to the bike I want to build.