Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2007, 07:10 PM   #1

how many of you?

after buying an china bike, would have rather bought a used japanese bike instead? the reason i ask is because i keep hearing people say it. they cant be that bad can they?

Old 12-10-2007, 07:32 PM   #2

I wish I had more money to buy a better Chinese bike. I think the United Motors DSF or SMF 200 would make a good bike at less cost to the Japanese/Euro brands with a better warranty than the Japanese/European bikes.

The latest model Diamo 200 is backed by a great warranty and even includes a club type service which will pick you and the bike up if you are stranded--it costs less than the Jap/Eur brands, too, and less than the UM's mentioned above.

Qlink offers a supermoto for a little less than the Diamo, and also includes a 2 year warranty.

Used bikes can be hit or miss. keep in mind the cost for parts/labor.

However, if you want to use the bike competitively, such as dual sport events, go for the jap/eur brand.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 12-10-2007, 07:46 PM   #3

Well for me I'd have bought a new or used jap bike but that was after seeing just how difficult/impossible the china bikes are for my wife to ride offroad.She cant handle the bike offroad and a drz400 would have been much more fun for me with her on the back or if offroading with her on her quad.

With the problems I have had on this NEW china bike I could have bought a decent used jap bike that needed some things and still have about the same or less wrenching time and no real fabrication time on the jap bike and probably more piece of mind that it would stay together.

But I can say we do enjoy riding around together on our own bikes on the roads and after some mods and stuff my bike is really very durable and extremely fun to ride.My bike now is running much much better than it did in stock form.

I could have bought one used jap bike for what we paid for two china bikes and as with used it is a bit of a gamble.(heck I'd just have bought a new DRZ400)

Old 12-10-2007, 08:22 PM   #4

I have not had any major problems with my Shineray Speedee 200...i cannot imagine a better deal...i rode it hard this summer...tons of trail...and tons of street...

other than wishing it could go 90mph on the highways...i love the bike!!

YMMV!!
DB-P12 Shineray Speedee 200 169LFM

Old 12-10-2007, 09:05 PM   #5

For what I gave for it, screw Japan. All my bikes since 1967 save one Alstate Compact (Puch) and one BSA Lightning 650 have been Japanese. I've owned the best, the fastest. I've raced TZ250s at Daytona International Speedway during speed week, I've ridden 180 mph Suzuki Yoshimura superbikes in the WERA National Endurance series, I've owned 50cc to 1100 cc street bikes. This Diamo is going on 4 years. I got it cause it was cheap and I needed a cheap off road bike with a rack that was streetable and by buying 3 and selling two I got it for about 400 bucks new in the crate. LOL Come up with something like that from Japan and I'll pounce on it.

Of course, I currently own a GL1100A touring bike, 83 model (down waiting on delivery of a head gasket, yeah, even Jap bikes need things from time to time) and a Suzuki SV650S for street use along with a couple of XR100s and a lot of XR parts and a 88 KX80 motard. One XR is a mad dawg class flat tracker (retired) and one XR and the KX are mini road racing bikes I run in TMGP ( http://www.tmgps.8k.com ) I'm not new to motorcycles, so I can handle the repairs necessary. I've built plenty of class winning race engines over the years and wrenched in a couple of bike shops and ran my own for a while. I do lawn equipment, small engines, now. One thing I love about the China bikes is the cost, or lack there of, of parts, not that I've had to buy much. It's been quite reliable so far and the engine is really hard to break, tried and so far I haven't been able.

Now, all that said, my bike is mostly my off road hunting vehicle and around town bike. I don't ride it very for for very long. You kiddin'? I ain't a masochist.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:15 PM   #6

I've been riding motorcycles for over 40 years, mostly Japanese bikes. I still have 4 Japanese bikes, and I like them a lot. So far only 3000 km on the Lifan but no real problems. It's perfect for my uses. No regrets at all.

Q

Old 12-10-2007, 10:21 PM   #7

My E-bay T-Motorsports 06 Lifan 200 GY-5 has taken a good beating this summer and it reminds me of my old XR200, I just can't jump it like I did the XR, I'm older now and not sure I want to jump anything, not like I used to anyway... Great bike, great price...

Old 12-10-2007, 11:08 PM   #8

Four months after buying a new GY-5, I wound up buying a used Yamaha TDM. Mostly I wanted something faster and more comfy... funny thing is the Lifan still sees more use. It gets better gas mileage, is easier to ride on the backroads and if I spot a trail while I'm out I can check it out right then. If I could go back.... honestly I'd get a used Jap bike due to the much better build quality and aftermarket parts. The price difference isn't that bad, but you just have to keep your eyes out and be patient for a good deal to come along. Many are saying that the smaller Jap bikes are built in China, if they are they are made under better quality standards. When you compare Chinese to Japanese side by side the difference is night and day. I'm not saying the wheels are gonna' fall off any Chinese bike, but I just don't see one reaching 60,000 miles and still run strong like my Yamaha.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:06 AM   #9

I sold my chinabike, and if ever there was a grey market bike, my Xingyue Easy 150cc GY was grey. I had to learn how to wrench it pretty fast, as I was new to riding. I have since bought an old jap bike. Do I regret getting a china bike? No way. Besides buying the bike I needed licence, insurance($$$$Canada), riding gear and more. I never would have bought a new Jap bike, I couldn't, because of cost. Buying a used bike is hit and miss, but for a new rider it's all miss. I didn't know what was or wasn't a good deal. My chinabike got me into riding, and chinariders taught me how to take care of my bike. If you are afraid to get your hand dirty, stay away from chinabikes. If you know about bikes or you are focused on learning, what a great bike. N2r.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:22 AM   #10

Obviously having purchased 4 of them I would be in the catagory of no regrets.

I would only hope that one day they will have dealer support equal to that of the jap manufacturers.
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 12-11-2007, 10:17 AM   #11

[quote="knothead"] Many are saying that the smaller Jap bikes are built in China, if they are they are made under better quality standards. quote]

You can say that again! It's really how much quality you want--you gotta pay! I think that once the Chinese figure the quality/price issue, the higher quality Chinese bikes (i.e. UM, Qingqi/Qlink, and Diamo) will become the norms, in the $2000-3000 range in the US. However, we will not have the low end bikes (i.e. $1000, shipped) anymore, which may or may not be a good thing.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 12-11-2007, 12:53 PM   #12

I looked for a used Jap bike first, but couldn't find anything suitable in my area that was even close in price to the China bike. So I bought the Lifan. It has had a few small issues, but nothing worth mentioning. I am pleased with it. I have seen what have appeared to be some good deals on used Japs since, but they weren't there when I was looking, and I am just going to keep riding this one. So I say if you have a good used Jap bike in your price range, go for it, but if not then don't be afraid to get a China bike.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:56 PM   #13

That's what I meant to say, Gyjoe. Except in my case I was new, I didn't know what a good used bike looked like. :? For a new canadian rider with fixit-ability and LIMITED funds, I'm glad I got a 1 banger chinabike. Red wrote it first I think? They are dead easy to learn how to fix.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:50 PM   #14

I'd do it again

I got a 07 Lifan gy-5 about 7 months ago. Took it to work all summer in 90+ degs and every now and then this winter 32+ deg. Like everyone else I've had no problems really. In the first few months I'd go over it ever other day or so to make sure the nuts and bolts where tight. Now just check once a month or so. Adjusted the chain a couple times before I found it likes a little more slack then the book calls for. I have 3K miles on it now and it's time for a new rear tire. Can't beat the bike for a cheap road commuter with limited dirt jumping abilities. I will admit I don't feel comfortable beating it. I have dumped the clutch hard a few times to pull a wheelie or two but don't want to push my luck 'cause I'd like to keep rididing it to work as long as I can. Oh, yea, the head light sucks. I mounted a LED flashlight on the bars to help night riding.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:14 PM   #15

Re: I'd do it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrainII
I got a 07 Lifan gy-5 about 7 months ago. ~~~
Oh, yea, the head light sucks. I mounted a LED flashlight on the bars to help night riding.
Just changing the bulb out helped mine tremendously. When my stock bulb blew I bought the last two the local shop had. They were different brands, turns out that all three bulbs throw dramatically different patterns. The one I'm running now is made in Mexico, some kinda' off brand, but it has an excellent low beam and a decent high beam, still 35/35 watt too.