Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2017, 03:30 AM   #1

Hi from Oz

Hello all. i joined up today after reading threads a week ago on how to tune the new VM30 for the new 167FMM motor that I put into my no name quad. I call it the war pig, as I plan to hunt wild pigs with it. Thanks for the help so far and I hope I will be able to help some of you somewhere down the line.

I think I still need a slightly bigger pilot jet but it goes pretty hard in the mid and top end so I will leave it alone for now. I paid $350 au at a pawn broker for it and it now owes me about $1500au. that includes a new motor, carb, air cleaner, green goo that stops my tyres leaking and a clutch cable. I am pretty happy with it now and will post some pics soon.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:42 AM   #2

Welcome! This site is a great resource for these engines for sure.

As far as the pilot size, on VM and PZ style carburetors, the pilot jet primarily affects the idle mixture and up to 1/4 throttle. While the pilot never stops adding fuel even at WOT, it's only a small portion of the total picture. There are three main things that indicate if the pilot/slow circuit fueling is correct.

1. If you can get a good steady idle mixture at no more than 3 turns out, although it is recommended to consider going up a half size or full size in pilot if it takes more than 2 to 2 1/2 turns on the mixture screw. Inversely, if you are less than 1 turn out on the mixture screw and find it hard to get a steady idle, then it is too big.

2. Any hesitation, bucking, or popping at light steady throttle going down the road. Say cruising at 20mph in second or third gear with the throttle barely cracked open. Usually that indicates a lean condition. Inversely, during normal driving conditions if you find you get poor fuel economy or end up with a lot of carbon buildup on the plugs the pilot may be too big (or the needle is too far up).

3. If you can start the bike with zero choke when it is around 50-60 degrees F, or 10-15 degrees C, then it is likely the pilot may be a little too large. Admittedly, this can also be due to poor mixture settings as well, and falls back under number 1.

As always, the spark plug can tell all as well. If you can find a nice road to run at low speed constant throttle for a bit, then do a plug chop and check the plug, this will really help determine where you are in regards to pilot size. It's tricky doing plug chops to help determine pilot mixture though, because even the slightest bit too much throttle and you will be throwing the needle into the mix. This is why the idle mixture screw tends to be the best indicator, combined with the bikes behavior at low speed cruising.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 07-07-2017, 11:30 AM   #3

Welcome, Bogmeister! I'm looking forward to pics of your new quad.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-09-2017, 02:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogmeister View Post
...Anyone have any idea what brand it might be...
Photobucket is F***ed http://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=19450 Can't hotlink w/o paying (US$399/yr) ransom
Decode the Vin https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicl...ication_number 1st. At least u knew how old [10] & Where [1-3] ... [4-9] can find other cousins in theory
NEVER told [12-17] to public. It's unique to that vehicle

Old 07-10-2017, 10:51 AM   #5

Hello and Welcome aboard!

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....

Old 07-10-2017, 12:54 PM   #6

Welcome from another newbie!

Old 07-11-2017, 09:27 PM   #7

Finished my jetting this morning and wow. I ended up with a 120 main jet and 25 pilot. The needle is lifted as high as she will go (Bottom notch with the clip) so I might eventually get the next size up and try a 30 pilot as I am 3 turns out on the air screw.

My muffler is just an empty can with a cover over the end (no baffles what so ever), and the air cleaner is just a gauze pod so I guess it needs a little more juice than most but now it flys. Seat of the pants say about 60mph. My eyes normally tear up at about 55mph and I'm tearing when she is still accelerating hard.Pretty scary until the new ball joints and bushes arrive for the front end and swing arm.

Thank you for all the carb advice you have given over the time you all have been here. I had fun searching and picking the info out of old threads.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:44 PM   #8

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/5531/eCYG4n.png
http://imageshack.com/a/img923/3479/mkW6K6.png

With a bit of luck this will work.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:17 PM   #9

Black Sabbath did a song called War Pigs with Ozzy Osbourne but he is from England. Why didn't you name your bike Paul Hogan so I wouldn't be confused?

Old 07-12-2017, 03:05 AM   #10

Coz I love Sabbath. Hoges is only OK

Old 07-12-2017, 04:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogmeister View Post
Coz I love Sabbath. Hoges is only OK
Most people won't get that joke but you did.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:02 PM   #12

I might actually like Cake's cover of War Pigs better than the original.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-12-2017, 06:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I might actually like Cake's cover of War Pigs better than the original.

I love the bass sound in the intro of the Cake version but I still have to go with Ozzy for the vocals. Metallica did a pretty good cover of Sabbra Cadabra that sounds great cranked up.. Ba ha ha, that smiley is almost in time to Metallica.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:41 PM   #14

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~