Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 02:34 AM   #1

Has a 200cc motor enough torque for 4 gears.

I'm having great trouble finding a new motor (200cc), I'm not fussy OHC or OHV they all fit in the same hole. Many people claim to be able to obtain Chinese parts, can't manage an engine though. Those who do have engines want big money for them, typically about $650-700 plus shipping. For that sort of money I'd try to squeeze a XR250 (or similar) motor in. Back to the reason for the post, I've found a new 200cc OHV ATV motor that will fit at a reasonable price, it's 4 speed and reverse though.

Jonathan.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:30 AM   #2

Re: Has a 200cc motor enough torque for 4 gears.

Over the last couple of months I've seen at least 10 new Lifan 200cc OHC engines with carb, electrics, etc.. sold on Ebay. Some went for under $250.00. Buy now price on some were $350.

Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by czowner
I'm having great trouble finding a new motor (200cc), I'm not fussy OHC or OHV they all fit in the same hole. Many people claim to be able to obtain Chinese parts, can't manage an engine though. Those who do have engines want big money for them, typically about $650-700 plus shipping. For that sort of money I'd try to squeeze a XR250 (or similar) motor in. Back to the reason for the post, I've found a new 200cc OHV ATV motor that will fit at a reasonable price, it's 4 speed and reverse though.

Jonathan.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:22 AM   #3

Shipping to Sweden will probably be a killer on the US engine.

I think that the 4 speed is probably a wider ratio, but 4th is probably not that tall. Most of the ATVs that had that type of engine were not speed machines. You might be able to make up for it with a smaller rear sprocket.

Allen

Old 11-28-2007, 12:20 PM   #4

A four speed is only gona get you to 40 - 45 mph tops with the 200 engine. To gear it any taller you'd toast the clutch trying to take off. Reverse would be cool though!! Dangerous, but cool!

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2021 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 HP!

Old 11-28-2007, 03:10 PM   #5

I personally would not go this route, cz. 5 speeds is hardly enough!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 11-29-2007, 02:20 AM   #6

Thanks for the input folks, wasn't too keen on the idea myself. Seems like I'll have to keep looking. The cost of shipping from the States plus the import duty and sales tax don't make it viable. One alternative is from inside the EEC, but most EEC countries have more stringent emmission control regulations that Chinese bikes don't meet.

Jonathan.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:15 AM   #7

How much are engines from the UK? i.e. China-Parts UK(don't remember the exact name, but you get the picture)

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 11-30-2007, 03:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune
How much are engines from the UK? i.e. China-Parts UK(don't remember the exact name, but you get the picture)
China Parts Ltd. who rose out of the ashes of British Trackstar have their main warehouse not 8 miles from me (the parent company Uk-Probike are 30 miles south). They have the 4 speed ATV motor, the price is heavily discounted for cash, no deals on a bike engine though. They want $650 for a 200cc motor and $600 for a 125cc. The people who said they had 6 speed gearbox spares have a comlpete 223cc motor for $725. I'm just not prepared to pay these prices for something which might be of dubious quality.

Jonathan.