Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 07:50 PM   #1

Help registering my new 200 GY "cool boy" in Fl.

I bought my new bike from a company calling themselves Rakatak and so far they have given me many excuses but produced very little true help in the end. I got this bike and with it a cardboard looking certificate of origin for a vehicle. My dmv will not accept this because it doesnt have the watermarks saying "void" on it so they declined me registering the bike. On my certificate it says the make is a Rakatak but I know its made by lifan. The company wants to charge me 35.00 and get an ohio state title and then transfer that into the state of Fl. What a pain in the ass that is. All I want to do is ride my new bike without fear of being stopped but I cant get it titled. Any ideas? By the way no tickets and no accidents and 35 years old the bike costs me 175.00 for the entire year for full coverage through geico and a 100.00 deductible. But this title mess SUCKS!!

Old 11-17-2007, 11:11 PM   #2

Kingtut,
I didn't have to go through a whole lot of hoops to get my bike registered here in FLA but I had to go through some, #1 being the manufacturer being recognized by Tallahassee, If it is a Lifan than your going to need proof, Rakatak is never going to fly, I'm sure it's not in their books, you will need to call or e-mail the company and have them send you a MCO/MSO, filled out with a Registration#, vin # and mileage certification, all can be filled out yourself by talking to who you bought it from but that's up to you(not really legal), best bet is GIVE THEM HELL until you get what you need...
Welcome to the site, any questions just ask or PM me...

Old 11-17-2007, 11:55 PM   #3

you could maybe register it as an offroad bike, then have it inspected as being "upgraded" to be road legal, at which point they could change the body type to motorcycle instead of off-road or whatever, but they might be a pain about the tires and little stuff like that

but i'd give them all kinds of hell first before i try that route

Old 11-18-2007, 12:31 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply and the welcome.

I am going to give them total hell about it on monday morning. I have played games with them now for over 2 weeks and its past old hat now. I just cant believe they would jerk me around like this when they have had a pretty happy customer up till this point besides telling me that the shipper needed 2 phone numbers before they could ship my bike to me. It still made it here really fast (3 days from ohio to Fl isnt half bad) But anyways I would not have had a problem if the certificate had, had a void going across the background in a watermark. The lady at the tag office here in orlando told me I would not have a had a single problem other than that one factor.

Thanks for the quick reply again.

Also does anyone know if I drill holes into the exhaust does it make a difference in power? Mine is kind of slugish and I assume its from to much back pressure on the exhaust. Any other mods I can get to make the bike perform better? (I have riden this on the street even without it being registered) matter of fact right here next to sea world. But shhhhhh.[/img]

Old 11-20-2007, 12:10 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to maf119l
I'm surprised.I thought Rakatak had a better reputation among the ebay/website sellers.I've talked to them before but decided to go with a dealer close to my home.My suggestion is don't back down.You should not have to registure it in his home state first.He should provide the lifan mco since that is what he is selling.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:36 AM   #6

Well check this out.

I sent my paperwork off today since in the ebay auction I bid on, It did say they would/could send the paperwork to me to simply have them get the title for me. So not a real big deal as I just want to ride this thing without having to look behind me for cops. They charged me 35.00 to do the title work, then they will be sending me a title from ohio stating that the bike is: Get this: A Rakatak as the make and then send me back a title to me from ohio and then switch it to Fl. and it still having to say Rakatak on it. This guy is trying to make his own brand of lifan bike by simply changing the name on the title work and mco. On my bike they even changed the vin plate on it to reflect the make as a rakatak lmao. What a stupid name in the first place let alone having my bike called that. They even had the gull to change the stickers on the bike to say Rakatak. Well this should be interesting to see what the state of Fl. does when they get a bike to enter there computers that says rakatak instead of lifan. Why do people always make things more difficult than they have to be so they can have 10 seconds of fame? I wished I would have known before hand that they pulled this kind of garbage and I would have never bought it. Be warned of this kind of trick from this dealer. :twisted:

Old 11-21-2007, 02:47 PM   #7

Are you going to have a problem when you go to the insurance company and ask them to insure a Rakatak?

Q

Old 11-21-2007, 08:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q
Are you going to have a problem when you go to the insurance company and ask them to insure a Rakatak?

Q
You know I honestly dont know and thats an excellent ?

All I can say is I already have insurance on it and its dirt cheap as a lifan. I paid 175.00 for the year and a 50.00 deductible. Not a bad deal with full coverage for that kind of coin. Its now insured as a lifan but not a rakatak. I warn others to watch out for this type of activity by maybe other dealers. This is dirty and im not to happy about it.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:45 PM   #9

Kingtut210,
I just sent you a PM...

Old 12-09-2007, 09:56 AM   #10

Finally

I finally went friday and got my bike registered in Fl. but only after having to buy into paying 35.00 to rakatak for the ohio state title. I got the title without problems from them but it does say on the title the bike manufacturer is rakatak and thats the make of it. O' well I guess thats the brakes. Main thing is I got my bike registered and now I dont/wont to have to look over my shoulder for cops riding behind me

Thanks for all the help and friendly advice that was given.

Old 12-09-2007, 09:37 PM   #11

Great to hear and perfect weather for riding...

Old 02-01-2008, 07:09 AM   #12

Hi kingtut210
You Should have and Still can report this company to the State of Ohio, for Not Providing you with a title in the first place. This is illegal, ""All Ohio Motor Vehicle Dealers Must provide you with an Ohio Title"" this is Ohio's Law, and All Dealer sales in Ohio must be made at The Dealers Place of Location.
Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10:00-6:00 Sat. 10:00-4:00 EST.
Dealer for: Lifan, Crossrunner ATVs.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net

Old 02-01-2008, 06:34 PM   #13

When I registered my bike they only could put in a model of bike already in their database, so my bike is registered as a KTM-200. Doesn't really matter what the name says as long as the vin is the same as what is on the paperwork.
2005 TANK Trail 200
2009 Lifan LY110GY-3 (2)