Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2017, 09:15 PM   #1

Coolster Issues

I picked up a coolster twin pack. I'm both pleasantly surprised and somewhat annoyed by them at the same time, lol.

For the money, they make a fun little zoom around fun atv. And you can do some surprisingly decent riding on them. Definitely on the stiff side, both steering and suspension, but I knew that going in.

But both machines have issues right off the bat.

Machine # 1 --> Something is not right with it.
- Maybe frame, maybe not.
- The machine drives extremely rough / almost juddery. A really strong vibration occurs. My guess is chain is too tight ? Transmission ? My 2nd machine runs nice and smooth (mostly) compared to this one.
- For the life of me I could not get the seat to attach normally. I spent hours on it, checking every little bolt and screw in the whole setup, trying to get it to seat normally. My cross bar the front seat hook slips under was bent down a bit. But in the end, the only way to attach the seat hook in back is to put a huge downward pressure on the seat and tap the hook forward onto the attachment spot with a hammer. On the 2nd machine, both seats go on just fine and smooth, so its not the seat.

Machine # 2 --> Seems to have broken after the first test ride.
- Took it on a nice little 5-7 mile ride on the trails - nothing insane. When I went to load it, I noticed it was hard to start. Had to give it a touch of throttle to get it running. Next day, went to start it and I cant get it to fully start. It is trying to. But it seems like its about to start then there is a sharp clunk sound coming from that lower right side (clutch ?), and it stops it cold. Not sure where to start guessing on that.

I hate the idea of having to strip it down after just one ride :(

Any guesses on where I should start ?

TY

Old 01-03-2017, 10:36 PM   #2

Did you break them in before you took them out riding? did you change the oil it came with? did you do all the necessary steps you should do when you order these machines?

Old 01-04-2017, 08:04 AM   #3

I'm assuming these are the Coolster 3150-DX2 or 3. On machine #1 The suspension will loosen up after a while. Mine was stiff as hell but all good and smooth now that I have some miles on it. You may have to adjust on the latch point. Mine was the same way ( didn't need an hammer), but took a small pry bar and played with it till it worked.
Machine # 2 sounds like a carb issue. Check the connection for the auto chock. It may be loose. Or may just need to take apart and clean. Adjust the idle. Numbrseven had a problem with one of his.

And like Zack said. Please tell me you change that oil out.

You have to think of these as Kits. Your not going to just put gas in them and go. There will be some adjustments that will have to be made.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 01-04-2017, 10:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post

You have to think of these as Kits. Your not going to just put gas in them and go. There will be some adjustments that will have to be made.
Best China Rider advise, ever. These are hands-on until they're dialed in correctly....but that's why we only pay 1000.00 for a quad.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 01-04-2017, 05:34 PM   #5

Definitely did the oil right away before the trails, so I was good on that.

I checked over the machine, and everything seemed to be in order and decently adjusted (I did tweak the brakes a little, and adjusted the idles).

Engine wise they both sounded buttery smooth before the ride.

So yes I did check it over and tweaked some, but I didnt do a lot as they seemed solid (minus the judder on the 1st one).

Old 01-06-2017, 11:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarZ View Post
I picked up a coolster twin pack. I'm both pleasantly surprised and somewhat annoyed by them at the same time, lol.

For the money, they make a fun little zoom around fun atv. And you can do some surprisingly decent riding on them. Definitely on the stiff side, both steering and suspension, but I knew that going in.

But both machines have issues right off the bat.

Machine # 1 --> Something is not right with it.
- Maybe frame, maybe not.
- The machine drives extremely rough / almost juddery. A really strong vibration occurs. My guess is chain is too tight ? Transmission ? My 2nd machine runs nice and smooth (mostly) compared to this one.
- For the life of me I could not get the seat to attach normally. I spent hours on it, checking every little bolt and screw in the whole setup, trying to get it to seat normally. My cross bar the front seat hook slips under was bent down a bit. But in the end, the only way to attach the seat hook in back is to put a huge downward pressure on the seat and tap the hook forward onto the attachment spot with a hammer. On the 2nd machine, both seats go on just fine and smooth, so its not the seat.

Machine # 2 --> Seems to have broken after the first test ride.
- Took it on a nice little 5-7 mile ride on the trails - nothing insane. When I went to load it, I noticed it was hard to start. Had to give it a touch of throttle to get it running. Next day, went to start it and I cant get it to fully start. It is trying to. But it seems like its about to start then there is a sharp clunk sound coming from that lower right side (clutch ?), and it stops it cold. Not sure where to start guessing on that.

I hate the idea of having to strip it down after just one ride :(

Any guesses on where I should start ?

TY
Wow, this sounds all too familiar. I had these same exact problems in the same exact order with my two!

Old 01-06-2017, 01:00 PM   #7

You still need to break in the motor. Meaning for the first 10 hours you don't go more than 50% on the throttle. The engines seals need to seal properly. and freshly cut metal inside the engine appear after running the engine for about an hour or 2 then performing an oil change to get all those metal shards out of there. Sounds like you just changed the stock oil and went full throttle without break-in. You could have ruined your motor sorry to say. But these things need to go through a break-in period. It's necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarZ View Post
Definitely did the oil right away before the trails, so I was good on that.

I checked over the machine, and everything seemed to be in order and decently adjusted (I did tweak the brakes a little, and adjusted the idles).

Engine wise they both sounded buttery smooth before the ride.

So yes I did check it over and tweaked some, but I didnt do a lot as they seemed solid (minus the judder on the 1st one).