Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2016, 05:55 PM   #1

Lifan 200 Swap Troubleshooting

Hey there everyone, long time lurker here, but recently registered with the hopes of getting a bit of mechanical advice. (I apologize in advance for the long post) In the beginning of the year I bought my first motorcycle, a 77 Xl100. I had a blast riding it for a few months, but I've got this terrible habit of "fixing" things that aren't broken and bought a new Lifan 200 to swap in.

This is the engine FWIW: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I started the swap back in July, and mounted the new engine in an afternoon. Figuring it would be better to leave the wiring to a pro, I bring it to a shop to finish the wiring harness. The shop can't get the bike to run, saying there is a weak spark while kickstarting and no spark with the starter motor. After a month or so, the shop later says they figured out the problem and I just need to buy a different harness. (This is the new harness https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
The shop puts the new harness in along with the new electronics and still has the same problem. Eventually the shop tells me they are stumped, and to just come pick it up.

I bring it to another local shop, these guys have had it for a few months and have the same problem and can't figure it out. I've called PCC Motors (The Amazon seller) and they couldn't help, and at this point it's been too long to get my money back through Amazon.

Both shops say they have checked the obvious, (fuel, compression, battery, wiring and grounds etc) and we had the same problem with either wiring harness, and with both coils and CDIs.

At this point I don't even know where to start troubleshooting. My best guess would be the pickup coil, simply because I think that's the last electrical/ignition part that hasn't been replaced. Maybe a neutral safety switch or something similar that both shops somehow missed? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

TL;DR Brand new Lifan 200 won't start. Weak spark with kickstart, none with electric start. All obvious parts and causes checked.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:10 PM   #2

A lot of people are been having trouble with these wiring harnesses, a few of the pins are in the wrong place. hope this helps:

Old 12-22-2016, 12:24 AM   #3

What's the ohm & volt reading?

===
coil: http://sanxin.com.cn/info5/index.asp?id=20

Old 12-22-2016, 08:27 AM   #4

https://www.kazumaracing.com/trouble...s-p-13392.html

kill switch?

Old 12-27-2016, 09:24 PM   #5

Thanks for the suggestions y'all. We did move the pins around after watching the video. I just picked the bike up from shop #2 this afternoon, so I'll check out the kill switch and get the volt readings from the coil tomorrow in the AM.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:05 PM   #6

So I dug into things today and found the large gear on the engine that the starter motor turns was bent which was causing the engine to bind up and stop turning... Don't know how/why that happened, but I managed to bend it back so everything is turning freely. Spent the afternoon playing with that and checking things with the multimeter and didn't have any luck until I pulled the black/white wire on the CDI. Pulling that gave me a nice bright spark and then all of a sudden, my starter motor stops... Probably a loose connection somewhere that I'll chase down tomorrow and start working on finding the killswitch fault.

Old 12-30-2016, 03:00 PM   #7

So the next day, I tried to kickstart the bike and was back to no spark again. The starter motor was off, because it was tied into the kill switch somehow in the harness. There were some other weird things in the harness that I *think* I cleaned up. When re-doing the harness didn't work, I replaced the stator/pickup and that didn't change anything either. I've got pictures of the harness, CDI, and both sides of the plug where the engine connects to the harness. Maybe you guys can spot something I'm missing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Harness.jpg (96.7 KB, 881 views)
File Type: jpg CDI.jpg (95.3 KB, 824 views)
File Type: jpg Engine Side Plug.jpg (94.6 KB, 876 views)
File Type: jpg Harness Side Plug.jpg (91.9 KB, 870 views)

Old 12-30-2016, 03:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson View Post
So the next day, I tried to kickstart the bike and was back to no spark again. The starter motor was off, because it was tied into the kill switch somehow in the harness. There were some other weird things in the harness that I *think* I cleaned up. When re-doing the harness didn't work, I replaced the stator/pickup and that didn't change anything either. I've got pictures of the harness, CDI, and both sides of the plug where the engine connects to the harness. Maybe you guys can spot something I'm missing?
Bare feet! There's your problem, bare feet.

Old 12-30-2016, 04:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
Bare feet! There's your problem, bare feet.
Hah. I missed that. Guess I set myself up for that one

Old 01-01-2017, 03:27 PM   #10

So I pulled the harness off the bike, unplugged the rectifier, battery and solenoid. With the coil and harness off the bike, the coil and sparkplug get power while kickstarting the bike. As soon as I connect the coil to a ground,the CDI stops sending power to the coil. Also, with nothing plugged into the engine, the red/black wire from the stator(gives power to CDI) is showing no resistance when I connect the other probe on the multimeter to a ground on the bike. Is this correct?

Old 01-01-2017, 03:59 PM   #11

Doesn't sound right to me. That would mean a short in your stator. Are you sure that red black wire isn't ground?

Old 01-01-2017, 04:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Doesn't sound right to me. That would mean a short in your stator. Are you sure that red black wire isn't ground?
I believe the green/white wire from the engine is the ground. The black/red was giving me around 70 volts while cranking.

Old 01-02-2017, 01:22 AM   #13

We haven't discussed this company for a while--see if they are still in business, or at least communicate with you. Hooper is all Lifan, all the time...

http://www.hooperimports.com/

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-02-2017, 11:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
We haven't discussed this company for a while--see if they are still in business, or at least communicate with you. Hooper is all Lifan, all the time...

http://www.hooperimports.com/
Just missed it:
Good-Bye and Thank you!
Hooper Imports will be closing December 31st 2016 and the website shuttered. We appreciate all of the support from fantastic customers over the last 14 years. All orders placed will be shipped. You may be able to get limited remaining merchandise by emailing HooperImportsDan@hotmail.com or eBay's seller: xr50-stuff after closing. Happy Holidays!
Bummer

Old 01-03-2017, 06:44 AM   #15

I bought a few engines and other parts from Larry Hooper, always good service. Sorry to see him close up shop.