Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2016, 11:32 PM   #1

Spark arrester experience

I'm contemplating riding a event next summer that requires bikes to have a spark arrester . Apparently the test at the event is the inspection guy has a stick and he puts it into the exhaust pipe and if it hits something in the pipe they assume it's a spark arrester. If stick goes in too far , they assume that it doesn't have an arrester in it and you can't ride.
Has anyone tried to adapt one on the RX3?
I'm thinking of the Hodaka Days Bad Rock vintage ride. I know the rX3 isn't vintage but they said they weren't concerned about that only that we don't burn down the forest. thanks, rj

Old 10-30-2016, 12:55 AM   #2

have you tryed putting a stick down the pipe...

I would think it would have one....

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 10-30-2016, 01:08 AM   #3

They don't have an arrestor Pete. You can shine a light in the exit and see the back side of the catalytic converter.

Something will need to be added. I don't have a suggestion.

Old 10-30-2016, 01:59 AM   #4

yes I did put a rod down mine and it went till hitting the Cat converter. I need to look at it closer and see if it comes apart at all. Then maybe I could add something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381821359850...84.m1436.l2649

I wonder in all reality if the CAT acts like an arrester and burns every thing up anyway.

rj

Old 10-30-2016, 02:32 AM   #5

Wouldn't the cat be about the best spark arrester yer could get...
they have such small holes in them... would stop any hot carbon
deposits...
but really yer don't want to argueing that point when yer there..

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 10-30-2016, 07:57 PM   #6

I checked mine after reading this post and also can put a stick all the way to the CAT. Looking over the muffler, I see the only possible options I see are:

1) Replace muffler with one that has a spark arrestor
2) Drilling out the pop rivets and then installing an arrestor between the end cap and the pipe. Anyone done this and have an arrestor that fits?
3) Something like the spanish fly insert: http://spanishflyracing.com/products.html

I'll be monitoring this thread to see what you come up with!

Last edited by fjmartin; 10-30-2016 at 07:57 PM. Reason: typo

Old 10-30-2016, 08:07 PM   #7

In http://www.fs.fed.us/eng/pubs/html/0...4/03511304.htm they state "Catalytic converters are not considered effective spark arresters"

Old 10-30-2016, 08:12 PM   #8

I've emailed Spanish Fly to get the diameter and length of their Insert Spark Arrestor which is USFS approved. Once I get that I'm measure my pipe and see if that could work as a plug an play solution. It's expensive compared to drilling out the rivits and putting in a screen but also something easy to remove when not riding USFS areas and cleanable to keep the flow high. I'll report back!

Old 10-31-2016, 12:20 AM   #9

FJ, do keep us posted on the Spanish fly Arresters. Ebay has a plethora of different kinds of arresters, just need to figure out what would adapt to the RX3 easily, rj

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CRF-23...940976?vxp=mtr

Old 10-31-2016, 03:52 PM   #10

I will do! I'm hoping we get 'lucky' and their will fit as I like the idea of keeping it removed when not used as I'm guessing based on watching some DIY setups that people talked about having to rejet their carbs after installing them. We can't do that with the EFI but not sure what impact to performance that will bring...thus wanting to remove it. Also, I guess you have to clean them occasionally as they get sooted up. This would be much easier than having to occasionally drill out the pop rivets on our existing mufflers to remove, clean or replace the screen. But if the Spanish Fly unit doesn't fit that may be the best choice. Doing something like what this guy did...except using the real mesh from a real spark arrestor as his strainer isn't USFS certified and he did get caught eventually. Of course we can't pull the whole unit apart like he does to repack but I don't think that will be needed. I already own a pop-rivet gun so it shouldn't be a big deal but I may see if it's possible to use screws instead so that it's easy to pull the end and remove the arrestor when not needed.

Old 10-31-2016, 06:27 PM   #11

RJ, I've been knee deep in research on the spark arrestor discussion and keep finding differing opinions but one thing that keeps coming up is that spark arrestors are for OHV/ORV vehicles only and if a vehicle is DOT certified and plated and the exhaust is stock and non-modified that their is no requirement for a spark arrestor. You might want to try to dig in a bit on this also...2 heads are better than 1. I also emailed the USFS about this and sent a note to CSC.

Old 10-31-2016, 06:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmartin View Post
RJ, I've been knee deep in research on the spark arrestor discussion and keep finding differing opinions but one thing that keeps coming up is that spark arrestors are for OHV/ORV vehicles only and if a vehicle is DOT certified and plated and the exhaust is stock and non-modified that their is no requirement for a spark arrestor. You might want to try to dig in a bit on this also...2 heads are better than 1. I also emailed the USFS about this and sent a note to CSC.
Hmmmmmmmmm so I wonder if we're stopped while riding in a forest by the Forest Service if we would be legal then and not start any fires. That would be a cool. I'd hate to start a forest fire and damage homes and acres and acres of beautiful country. rj

Old 10-31-2016, 07:38 PM   #13

I'm with you, I want to be compliant AND safe to the environment. I also sent a note to the WA DNR since they are the certifier for Washington DNR lands and the enforcement agency.
Well, the one thing I did figure out is that I didn't need to purchase an ORV tag for the bike. I just finally found a doc on the subject. https://washingtondnr.wordpress.com/...discover-pass/

Old 10-31-2016, 08:02 PM   #14

Looking at State Law which would cover DNR land but would not include USFS land RCW 46.09 covers ORVs. In chapter 420 of this RCW (http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.09.420) it states "ORV registrations and decals are required under this chapter except for the following: Vehicles registered under chapter 46.16A RCW or, in the case of nonresidents, vehicles validly registered for operation over public highways in the jurisdiction of the owner's residence." RCW 46.16A is the licensing of on-road vehicles. So, to me that would say that as a licensed on-road vehicle I am excluded from the provisions of ORV requirements. More to come!

Old 11-01-2016, 12:10 PM   #15

I did one of these and they have a spark arrestor/removable baffle. The stick stops about 4" in at the end of the baffle. It's an AUDEW Hexagonal Titanium Muffler, that the Amazon page now shows "page not available".....so that doesn't do much good.
It is a bit louder than stock but much lighter plus my bike does run a bit better getting rid of the cat. It is a commitment as you destroy the original system and re-use a part of it but I like it, so far.

Here's the thread.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=17244

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Last edited by 2LZ; 02-06-2019 at 10:18 AM.