Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2016, 02:05 PM   #1

RPS Canyon 250cc Issue

I got a 250cc Canyon and am having a few issues. the initial startup was good idled fine. Cooled off and started it again and low rpm'ed it around to warm it up for break in. After a little bit it sounded like it was out of fuel and died. It won't run at all now unless I am giving it gas via throttle and if I let off the gas it dies. Am I looking at a carb issue? Choke or no Choke doesn't make a difference also idle screw didn't affect it at all either.

Old 09-25-2016, 02:10 PM   #2

I'd start by draining the carb bowl and "knocking" the carb a bit while it's off to hopefully drop any clogs in the jets. Success probability is low, but it's not that hard to try.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:03 PM   #3

Kind of sounds like you have some bad gas in it. Is it a brand new ATV or used?

Old 09-25-2016, 09:17 PM   #4

brand new atv and brand new 91 octane gas which is also in another atv and dirtbike that are having no issues currently.

Old 09-25-2016, 11:25 PM   #5

Did you pull and rinse the Gas Tank before you filled and ran gas through the carb?

Our Bashan 200 Dual Sport Motorcycle had a really dirty gas tank from the factory and it clogged the pilot jet a few times even after several good rinses... I added a K&N Fuel Filter to the fuel line and the problem has went away

Might have to pull the carb and clean the jets

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 09-25-2016, 11:30 PM   #6

I did not clean the tank before fueling it but I did put a fuel filter on before running it. I can't clean the jets on this carb because it is the factory one and all the screw holes are riveted closed. I ordered a mikuni clone to replace the carb anyways just so I could adjust it as needed so when it comes I will replace the carb and see what happens.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:10 AM   #7

How is the voltage, working as expected? Not dropping below 12vdc before it shuts down, right?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 09-26-2016, 10:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsire79 View Post
I did not clean the tank before fueling it but I did put a fuel filter on before running it. I can't clean the jets on this carb because it is the factory one and all the screw holes are riveted closed. I ordered a mikuni clone to replace the carb anyways just so I could adjust it as needed so when it comes I will replace the carb and see what happens.
Are you sure it's fully 'sealed'?

Most of the time you can still open up the carb and clean it out, watch what MotoCheez does on his HAWK carb to open a "sealed/riveted carb"

A dremel tool and cutoff wheel or some Alden Grabit Pro Extractors is all you will need to open most carbs... they look "sealed" but they are usually "sealed with a 4mm screw/bolt with a broken off head to prevent Emissions Tampering"

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:47 AM   #9

Yeah I will have to take a look... I assumed it was fully sealed but I will tinker with it seeing how I have another on the way anyway can't really hurt anything. Yeah voltage is good so don't think that is the issue.