Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2016, 08:26 PM   #1

lifan 200cc teardown

hello have not updated on engine in a while but it completely died and instead of buying a new on i am going to fix it to get more experience with smaller engines. my problem that someone may be able to help with is getting the thing apart. i was able to get it off the bike i got the top end open took out the pushrods etc and the first half of the top. im not sure on how to properly open to bottom end to get the broken crankshaft out if anyone has any good diagrams or a video i would be very grateful. also side note before i purchase the crankshaft i found a used one for about $70 with shipping anyone know of an better deals or any links to where i could buy a single new one at?

Old 06-13-2016, 08:44 PM   #2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1315803...&ul_noapp=true
thats the only crankshaft i was able to find at all btw

Old 06-14-2016, 12:40 PM   #3

For starters, look up CG125 on Youtube. The engine you're working on is based on that, and there's a ton of good info out there.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-14-2016, 01:12 PM   #4

Note that the non balance shaft Lifan 200 crankshaft may or may not be the same as the balance shaft model.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:32 PM   #5

quick update looking up that engine helped got the sides both off and the rest of the head but noticed two issues before i could get much further the side of the case with the shift lever has a chunk of the case missing that the previous owner fixed with that looks like a piece of a beer can and jb weld and the piston has a chunk on the side missing. i already have a new piston to install but i have no idea what to do about the side of the case and i have yet to get further in the motor to know if theres more damage. at this point is it even worth fixing?

Old 06-14-2016, 07:39 PM   #6

Nope !!!

Old 06-14-2016, 07:55 PM   #7

I'd say time for plan b.......

Old 06-14-2016, 07:56 PM   #8

A picture is worth a thousand words...

A broken case is usually a deal breaker in terms of being worth fixing. Depends what and where. A 1965 Aston Martin maybe, a 200cc CB, maybe not so much.

Extra credit for the JB Weld and beer can though.

Old 06-15-2016, 10:50 AM   #9

X2 on pics. Please show us.

You never know whom on this forum might have what you need.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-15-2016, 11:10 AM   #10

heres the two images i took the piston im not to worried about i have another piston more worried about where the metal ended up

Old 06-15-2016, 11:24 AM   #11

Call it a good parts donor, and try to find a 230cc version. It'll bolt in place of where the 200 was.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Call it a good parts donor, and try to find a 230cc version. It'll bolt in place of where the 200 was.
do you know the model number of the 230cc is it also a lifan motor? ill start searching now though and see what i can come up with thank you

Old 06-15-2016, 11:33 AM   #13

Assuming you have a CG200 and you want a similar motor, look for CG223, CG229 or CG250; they all mean the same thing when air cooled. You might also find a donor in the form of a China dirt bike or quad on CL. There's nothing stopping you from harvesting a CG230 motor from a quad and installing it in your Lifan.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:34 AM   #14

BTW, they were made by several manufacturers, most notably Lifan and Zongshen. Get to know how to identify them externally, and look for 250 cast into the head. You probably have 200 cast into your existing head.