Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2016, 10:14 PM   #1

Aftermarket oil cooler - good or gimmick?

I was looking at aftermarket parts on Ebay and I'm interested in the oil coolers that available. Anyone have experience with these on air cooled 4 strokes? It looks interesting to me but I don't know if they're any good or just a gimmick.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:00 PM   #2

We usually run them on honda horizontal engines above about 110 cc ,my 250 drz had a factory one ,several xr honda bikes I have had have had them factory as well,what are you looking to install one on ?

Old 04-26-2016, 11:11 PM   #3

This would be on a 125cc Apollo dirt bike.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:06 AM   #4

It would be cheap insurance. I think it's mandatory on a 140.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-02-2016, 10:44 AM   #5

Sounds good - I just ordered one.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:09 AM   #6

Be sure to keep an eye on the cooler lines. The ones on my Lifan 140 came apart on a hot day in Death Valley. Heat caused one of the lines to pull out of the banjo fitting spraying hot oil all over my leg and the bike. I had to rig a temporary bypass to get back to camp. Later I had a good pair of hoses made by the local hydraulics shop and those have worked fine for years.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:05 PM   #7

Mudflap - appreciate that advice that's really good info. I'll probably take it to one of the local guys that know what they're doing with it before I even put it on the bike. Appreciate it.

The engine is running really lean - exhaust pipe at the engine side heats up blue almost immediately after starting the bike. You guys have some advice on whether to futz around with the jetting on the carb, or just go after a decent aftermarket kit like this?:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apollo-AGB-1...PUNx4A&vxp=mtr

Old 05-05-2016, 09:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerNCheese View Post
The engine is running really lean - exhaust pipe at the engine side heats up blue almost immediately after starting the bike...
SE asia solution http://www.siemreap.net/forum/pictur...with-cambodia/ Water droplet to head by gravity force...

Old 05-06-2016, 11:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerNCheese View Post
Mudflap - appreciate that advice that's really good info. I'll probably take it to one of the local guys that know what they're doing with it before I even put it on the bike. Appreciate it.

The engine is running really lean - exhaust pipe at the engine side heats up blue almost immediately after starting the bike. You guys have some advice on whether to futz around with the jetting on the carb, or just go after a decent aftermarket kit like this?:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apollo-AGB-1...PUNx4A&vxp=mtr
Who knows if those jets are correct. I'd install a Mikuni, if it doesn't have one now. Jets will be super easy to find. Take the carb off, measure the ID and see what is similar on eBay. My guess is that it'll be in the neighbourhood of 24mm. Like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/24MM-MIKUNI-...KtdXNQ&vxp=mtr

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-06-2016, 11:49 AM   #10

my oil coolers just arrived. Wolftrax, what did you decide about the front fender? thinking of mounting mine vertically on the side to avoid the fender clearance issue.
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 05-06-2016, 12:24 PM   #11

vertical on the side should not be a problem.

- 2008 Kawasaki Versys
- 2016 CSC TT250