Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2016, 11:13 AM   #1

Front brake failure?

I just switched out the stock front brakes to some Neutron Sintered pads and took it for a test ride. I did about a dozen hard stops to bed them in and then they just went completely limp. After about a mile I got about 10% back in braking on the front.

Did the master cylinder just quit?

The sintered pads were a improvement up until that point. It doesn't feel like air in the lines as pumping the brakes makes no difference.

Once things cool I'll pull the front brake off and make sure the pads are in securely although they look normal from the outside.

No fluid leaks.

****Update****

Brake Fade!

I let the brakes cool off and everything is back to normal. I guess I need to look for some better fluid to use as I can't imagine sintered pads would fade that fast! At any rate I'll be extremely careful If I'm going down a steep long hill or doing consecutive hard stops!

Last edited by Lee R; 03-12-2016 at 11:49 AM.

Old 03-12-2016, 12:25 PM   #2

I haven't heard of this issue before. I suggest you replace the brake fluid as soon as possible. You get at least 70 percent of your stopping power from the front brake.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-12-2016, 01:51 PM   #3

Fluid heat extractor.

Just in case the new fluid doesn't satisfy you, these nifty little devices are gaining popularity:
http://slavensracing.com/shop/brake-...-ktm-husaberg/

You'll have to contact them to see if it will mount on the RX3 caliper.

Old 03-12-2016, 01:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
I haven't heard of this issue before. I suggest you replace the brake fluid as soon as possible. You get at least 70 percent of your stopping power from the front brake.
I hadn't either. Could be the combo of 290 pound rider braking very aggressively from 45-50mph to 0 repeatedly that did it. I think the fluid boiled. I'd going to bleed the brakes and replace the fluid that came with it and try again.

It's completely normal after cooling off.

Old 03-12-2016, 01:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
Just in case the new fluid doesn't satisfy you, these nifty little devices are gaining popularity:
http://slavensracing.com/shop/brake-...-ktm-husaberg/

You'll have to contact them to see if it will mount on the RX3 caliper.
Jay that's interesting, I wonder if it fits?

This is the first time I've ever had brake fade on a motorcycle. It's quite shocking when it happens.

Old 03-12-2016, 02:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee R View Post
Jay that's interesting, I wonder if it fits?

This is the first time I've ever had brake fade on a motorcycle. It's quite shocking when it happens.
Just sent Slavens an inquiry regarding banjo bolt diameter & pitch, so will see what comes.

Brake fade, yeahhhhhhhhhh, far from fun. My first experiences were road racing in the early 70's. I get it now on the GL1200 commuter-beater just about the time for the 3 year brake fluid change. Fortunately it's a split system so I still have 1 of 3 brakes left to use.

Old 03-12-2016, 03:15 PM   #7

What brand of pads did you install?

Old 03-12-2016, 04:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSaddict View Post
What brand of pads did you install?
Neutron Sintered. Part # NA185R 1261170002

I picked them up last november, they are still on sale at Rocky Mountain ATV for $9.25 a pair.

They do improve the braking a bit, nothing dramatic but definitely more bite than the stock pads.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Neutron Sintered. Part # NA185R 1261170002

I picked them up last november, they are still on sale at Rocky Mountain ATV for $9.25 a pair.

They do improve the braking a bit, nothing dramatic but definitely more bite than the stock pads.
Those are good brake pads. I have them installed in my RX3, and several other bikes.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-12-2016, 05:35 PM   #10

Quote:
I hadn't either. Could be the combo of 290 pound rider braking very aggressively from 45-50mph to 0 repeatedly that did it. I think the fluid boiled. I'd going to bleed the brakes and replace the fluid that came with it and try again.

It's completely normal after cooling off.
I think you are correct. The brake fading was probably caused by a combination of weight, and repeated agressive braking. I ride a lot more conservatively than you.

I would definitely install some new, DOT 4 brake fluid, and bleed the brake line thoroughly. I also think Jay has a good recommendation for the cooler.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-12-2016, 05:56 PM   #11

Unknown on Slavens

Got a surprisingly quick response from Slavens which turned out to be a non-reply.

I asked what thread diameter & pitch they were using on the banjo bolts to see if they're compatible. Their reply:
Jay:
The coolers dramatically reduce fluid temps but are not intended to be a cure for guys that use the brake pedal as a 3rd footpeg. They only fit the bikes/models listed on our site.
Regards,
Jeff Slavens

Old 03-12-2016, 08:28 PM   #12

I'm not super stressed about it, I was pushing the brakes beyond any normal operations.

Unless you going down a huge mountain with the brakes locked the entire time it shouldn't be an issue.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:30 AM   #13

Question: Did your "brake fade" happen with
A: Firm (normal) response at the brake lever, or
B: "mushy" lever with extra lever travel?
If A, the pads got too hot and lost their stopping power (friction). If they are working good now they are probably OK, but check the bonding to the plate.
If B, the fluid boiled, probably due to water in the fluid; replace. Brake fluid is hydroscopic; it absorbs water from the air.

Old 03-13-2016, 06:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk47 View Post
Question: Did your "brake fade" happen with
A: Firm (normal) response at the brake lever, or
B: "mushy" lever with extra lever travel?
If A, the pads got too hot and lost their stopping power (friction). If they are working good now they are probably OK, but check the bonding to the plate.
If B, the fluid boiled, probably due to water in the fluid; replace. Brake fluid is hydroscopic; it absorbs water from the air.

A. Brake lever feel was firm, I was braking as hard as possible. It tool about 8 stops from 45 or so to 0 to cause them to give. It could be the sintered pads but they are supposed to be very resistant to heat.

Brakes felt excellent all day today while I was out riding under normal conditions. The sintered pads have much improved performance over stock.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Brakes felt excellent all day today while I was out riding under normal conditions. The sintered pads have much improved performance over stock.
FWIW. I installed a set of Neutron scintered pads, along with a new brake rotor, on my RX3 over the weekend. Brake lever felt fine, but the new pads and rotor had almost no "bite" at all. I could almost move the bike by just pushing with feet while brake was applied. I know new pads/rotor needs a bit of time to bed in, but this lack of braking effect was rather excessive and a bit scary. Decided to go back to the stock pads for now and just enjoy some pulsation-free braking for a while.