Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2016, 04:01 PM   #1

the "new" tiny toy

got this little quad for my son the other day, for $75. as you would expect for that price, it has some problems, but nothing to big. so i stripped it down to the frame today after i got off work because i noticed the rear swing arm was pushed over to the left about 3/4 of an inch, and rather than fixing it, they just cranked the chain as tight as they could ... that was problem 1 fixed ... the carb bowl gasket was bad, so i just got a new carb (old one had some nasty pitting and gunk anyway) and the float is just a bit to high, so that i will fix in the morning and it will be problem number 2 solved ... the tie rod ends were bone dry, and the ones on the steering stem were upside down ... problems 3 and 4 down ... these people had never heard of lubing a bearing, so they all came off, got the lube to them and moving well again ... 5 down ... bolted on the body, so that is 6 ... now i have just 2 to go, 2 broken clutch springs and 4 flat tires ... both of which i have parts on the way for as we speak (or as i typed and you are reading) ... other than a broken fender and missing the nose plastic (that i am not going to replace until i know he will ride it) that is about it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9907.jpg (88.4 KB, 149 views)

Old 02-12-2016, 07:00 AM   #2

Sounds like a good deal and a fun project. The repairs sound doable and that you have them under control. You just need to find yourself a similar deal

Old 02-12-2016, 08:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftownhillbilly View Post
Sounds like a good deal and a fun project. The repairs sound doable and that you have them under control. You just need to find yourself a similar deal
i already have my quad, a mojave 250 i gave $300 for, and now i have a bashan storm 250 on the way ... they claim it will ship today, but they also told me it was going to ship 2 days ago

Old 02-12-2016, 10:08 AM   #4

can you take a picture with someone on it to get a perspective of size?

Old 02-12-2016, 11:21 AM   #5

Those are neat little quads. My honourary son got one for free from a neighbour, we threw a few dollars and some time at it, and it ran great. He gave it to his little brother.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-13-2016, 11:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
can you take a picture with someone on it to get a perspective of size?
going to try to get him on it today, and ill get a video of it ... but it has 4" rims, just to give you a hint of the size

also, i rode it this morning ... no way something that small should ever go that fast ... lol ... good thing there is a set screw for the throttle, or i would never let him on it ... well worth the $120 i have in it in total ... if the motor lasts, he can ride it for a few years, or until he gets good enough it to get him a mini 110cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Those are neat little quads. My honourary son got one for free from a neighbour, we threw a few dollars and some time at it, and it ran great. He gave it to his little brother.
nice, i cant complain about what i paid for mine, even with the parts i had to buy

i just wish it had the pull starter on it like the bike ... the bike you pull the rope and it winds a spring, then when enough tension is on the spring, it spins the motor over ... the quad is direct drive to the motor when you pull, and that little motor will hurt your fingers pulling it ... going to find a bigger handle for it

Old 02-13-2016, 03:36 PM   #7

They make all kinds of ways to modify that pull rope starter. You can even replace it with electric push button.

Can't wait to see your video!

/

Old 02-13-2016, 04:12 PM   #8

ill get the video in a few min, but it was dieseling and i couldnt get it to shut off ... not sure what is up with that ... going to let it cool and go get that video

Old 02-13-2016, 04:30 PM   #9

Am I correct that dieseling is normally caused by the wrong spark plug?

/

Old 02-13-2016, 05:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
Am I correct that dieseling is normally caused by the wrong spark plug?/
as in to hot of a plug? not sure, and no clue what plug it needs ... it is caused also from it getting to hot, and having carbon buildup ... but it was running just fine with the plug wire off, that can not be good ... but as you will see, he is hard on the motor and clutch in my small yard ... no real ait moving over the motor ... let me try to find out how to upload this short video of him having fun ... so worth the money

Old 02-13-2016, 05:07 PM   #11

Yes I have also heard of the carbon issue. I think SeaFoam is supposed to clean out the carbon??? Possibly also a clogged up exhaust? I bet if you figure out and correct the dieseling you are going to find even more power from the engine.

/

Old 02-13-2016, 05:12 PM   #12

i think a lot of it is it never has a chance to get air ... when i rode it today i had no trouble getting it to shut off, but he is working out that motor overtime ... if i put a bigger rear sprocket on it, i think it would also help a little bit

Old 02-13-2016, 06:06 PM   #13

here is the link to the video ... this is only about 3/8" of throttle ... may turn it up just a bit more, to see if that will help ... i just didnt want to scare him away from riding it on the first day

Old 02-13-2016, 06:46 PM   #14

Very nice. He is learning fast. You can tell it has some real torque when the rpms get high enough.

/

Old 02-13-2016, 07:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
Very nice. He is learning fast. You can tell it has some real torque when the rpms get high enough./
yes, he is ... that was the start of the ride, he was doing much better by the end ... and yes, it does have some get-up-and-go ... i did not have enough room on the road by my house to get it to top speed, and it was already faster than i wanted to go on that little thing