Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2015, 08:44 AM   #1

What DON'T you like about your RX3?

Not looking to build any negative energy but I am looking to make an educated decision. People tend to tell you they love their purchase to save face even if they are unhappy about certain aspects of it. I want to know what you don't like about your RX3. Be honest, even if its a little thing. They honestly seem like a solid little rig. (yes, I'm always a bit skeptical with it being a chinese.)

To balance it out, what is your single favorite aspect of the bike?

Oh and do you recommend any, have to have, options. I was going to get the center stand, power outlet, and hand guard options.

Yes, I'm bored at work and it's snowing here. lol

Old 12-29-2015, 08:47 AM   #2

Also I'm having a hard time picking a color.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:22 AM   #3

Just do it!!!

The biggest thing that I dont like about the bike is that its Chinese and that they have a terrible history and reputation of putting out substandard stuff. It drives me crazy to look at this incredibly beautiful motorcycle (I stare at it all day since its parked in my living room) and hope that it doesnt break. I never had that thought with a Japanese bike. Like you and everyone else on this forum I have read every review I can find and I still wasnt sure what was the right thing to do. Honestly I was happy with my 153cc Indian Yamaha FZ16 putting out a whopping 12hp but the first time I saw this bike I fell in love. My last 3 bikes living in the US were a Yamaha R1, a Suzuki Hayabusa and a Honda XR650L but here these bikes are ridiculously expensive and not at all practical for riding/road conditions. I only have a month on my RX3 and had problems with my first bike (yes, i am on my 2nd thanks to excellent customer service by AKT Colombia) but I dont regret my decision. The design, handling and power of this bike are all perfect and the price is what makes it the obvious choice. Even without a warranty or customer service, parts availability and repairs are relatively cheap and easy. Its not a complicated bike. My advice is to take every review with a grain of salt, make notes about common issues and things to look for, write the check, call CSC and wait for your delivery. Once it arrives ride like hell with a permanent smile on your face. And if anything goes wrong the awesome members of this forum are here to help. This is probably not the answer you were looking for but the bottom line is I dont think you'll find a better bang for your buck. Good luck!!!

Old 12-29-2015, 09:35 AM   #4
Banned

Dislikes after 4300 miles
-Front brake pulsing. CSC sent new rotor. Fixed
-Stock chain marginal. Already have quality replacement to put on in Spring with altered gearing (going up to 46t rear sprocket. Leaving 14t front)
-Handlebar controls mounted too close to end of bars. Stock grips shorter than normal as a result. Am either removing locating pin on switch clusters and moving inwards, or drilling new holes for pins to move inwards. Easy fix
That's it
Favorite thing:
Makes me grin like I just took a toke every time I ride it. I revel in the fact that it is Chinese and different. Love the "WTF?" Looks from everyone when they see it. Damn amazing in twisties on pavement even with big block knobbies.
Cannot wait to take her South next year and explore the Smokies.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:54 AM   #5

Dislikes:
1. Stock headlight is 35w. Changed to 55w and modified rear plastic headlight cover - fixed!
2. Stock chain requires attention as it stretches. Will change in Spring.
3. Stock seat pitches me forward ever so slightly causing a little pain in my lower back. Replacement seat or sheepskin might fix this, but it's minor, so not n a hurry to fix.
4. Stock front brake is adequate, but rear is more powerful. Switched to a sintered front brake pad and that made a big difference.

Likes - you asked for one, but I can't list just one as the bike has so many good attributes. So here's my list:
1. Easy to work on. Except the exhaust valve adjustment, everything has been very easy to work on. And with practice, even the exhaust valve adjustment isn't too bad.
2. Superlative service and support from CSC
3. Right size bike for my needs. Sure, more power is nice, but this bike will get me to 84 mph (GPS speed) on a flat highway, cruise 65-70 mph (GPS speed) and take me on trails without breaking a sweat. And I'm not a small guy.
4. 300w stator - all the power for accessories you'll need
5. Amazingly rugged. I've dropped mine and ge crash bars did what the were supposed to do.

As for color, I haven't seen a bad color on the RX3. All look great. But the new-for-2016 Arctic Silver with the new paint scheme on the RX3 looks stunning. And the new, deeper Orange is a looker also, but I'm biased since I have an orange RX3.

Options I think are "must haves?". I think you got all that I would get, except I would add heated grips.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:39 PM   #6

Cons,
Stock hand grips were to large for my smaller hands and made them numb just riding around town. Change to smaller grips and no more problem.
CSC center stand works with stock bike configuration fine but when I lowered it, it made it more difficult to get up on the center stand. Currently working on adding a lever (in my mind) that will attach to the 1/2" toe bar on the center stand and hopefully make it easier to get it up on the stand by supplying the needed leverage.
Chain even though large for this size of bike seems to wear quickly. I'm still on original at 6200 miles.
Trunk is OK for weekend camping , but I put a bigger one on for longer trips.

Pros,
price
Service
miles of smiles. I purposely rode mine 6200 miles through the summer when I got it to make sure it would bring me home and it has been as dependable as any other bike I've owned. Some of them did leave me stranded.

Color: Mine's fast orange chosen for safety, wish it was more yellow but "it's Ok ,Joe " I really liked the blue and white 2015 colors better. Just want to be seen by cagers.
rj

Old 12-29-2015, 01:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSaddict View Post
Not looking to build any negative energy but I am looking to make an educated decision. People tend to tell you they love their purchase to save face even if they are unhappy about certain aspects of it. I want to know what you don't like about your RX3. Be honest, even if its a little thing. They honestly seem like a solid little rig. (yes, I'm always a bit skeptical with it being a chinese.)

To balance it out, what is your single favorite aspect of the bike?

Oh and do you recommend any, have to have, options. I was going to get the center stand, power outlet, and hand guard options.

CSaddict I think this thread is gonna be in the running for LEAST replied to thread on the forum

What I dont like about it

1) Its not a mile eater. I have a few other bikes including a Triumph Speed Triple and I can comfortably cruise along one handed at 100mph from gas station to gas station.

2) The negative stigma attached to it because its from China. I'm sure people dealt with it same time Japanese brands came out and now those are the standard, but until that day comes its annoying to have to explain how THIS chinese brand is reliable. So many ignorant people.

3) As previously mentioned, front brake. I upgraded to sintered pads on front and that helped a little bit. But I am spoiled too because my triple is one of if not the fastest stopping bikes in the world 100-0.

Thats really all I can strain my brain and come up with for dislikes.
Upgrades on mine are ram mount, 55w HID headlight, heated grips, and 13t counter sprocket.

For color I bought the red..my buddy bought the blue which I think is my favorite but I think they are sold out and no longer producing that color for 2016. I've seen the 2015 Orange too and those are nice. Good news is whatever you pick, you'll like. No bad choices and all look really nice.

Now for the finale..my favorite thing about my RX-3 besides how cool looking it is...Its a FUN bike. Cant really quantify or put my finger on a tangible reason of why this bike is so dang fun. You get on it crack open the throttle and just hooligan around town take some dirt roads if you want go to grocery store pick up a few things throw the nephew on the back for a ride around the cul-de-sac saddle up with the wife and go for an adventure in the mountains. IMO it epitomizes what a motorcycle should be and the way you feel riding it is something I wish everyone could experience. Hopefully you'll get this experience soon.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:32 PM   #8

I have over 4,000 sMiles on my RX3.

When I paid $3500 for my RX3 I didn't have any expectations that it would check all the boxes or compare favorably to other bikes costing 2X, 3X or more.

What I have found is that I really enjoy riding my RX3, and when parked, it attracts more lookers than any bike that I have owned.

It has all the good looks of a BMW designed bike, without the bloat and weight.

Yes, many of my riding buddies keep expecting me to say that this purchase was a mistake, but it wasn't. I'm really enjoying the bike.

I have a white bike, just like my car

If there was One thing that I sometimes wish for is more power to be able to maintain speed up steep grades. That's the only time I realize that it's "only" a 250cc.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:32 PM   #9

Too many to mention. However, I would be remiss if I didn't state the Zongshen RX3 is an exceptional value.

In case you haven't heard, Motorcycle.com recently awarded the CSC Cyclone RX3 an honorable mention as the Best Motorcycle Value of 2015.

http://www.motorcycle.com/features/b...e-of-2015.html

With the following list of stock equipment, this bike is indeed, an excellent value for the money.

U.S. Delphi Fuel Injected Engine
Water Cooled Engine with 2 Radiators, and 2 Radiator Fans
6-Speed Transmission
Superb Clutch
Excellent Headlight (with H4 bulb)
Full Engine Guards
Tall, Effective Windshield
Siemens Digital Dashboard
LED Turn Signals and Brake Light
4.2-Gallon (16-Liter) Fuel Tank
Locking Gas Cap
Integrated Luggage with Locks
Perimeter Engine Frame
Strong Sub-frame to Support Heavy Loads
Stainless Steel Exhaust Header
37mm USD Forks
Shock Absorber with Spring Preload Adjustment and Rebound Damping Adjustment
Progressive Lower Shock Linkage
1-1/8 inch, Fat Aluminum Handlebars
Skid Plate
Black Anodized Hubs
17-inch Rear Wheel with an Excellent Cushion Hub
Disc Brakes on Both Wheels
Braided Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Hydraulic Brake Light Switch on Rear Wheel
110-Link, Size 520, O-Ring Drive Chain
Wide, Serrated Foot Pegs with Rubber Inserts for both Rider and Passenger
300-watt Stator Output
Deluxe Wiring Harness with two Fused, Switched, Auxillary Power Connections
2-Year Warranty for Parts
1-Year Warranty for Parts and Labor

Both warranties include unlimited mileage, and are backed by the exceptional customer support from CSC.

Dislikes:

Adjusting the clearance of the exhaust valves is a bit tedious.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-29-2015, 02:39 PM   #10

1) Negative stigma, but I also ride a Russian bike so no big deal
2) Not getting to ride it enough, tough time of year in Maine but better than most years

Old 12-29-2015, 02:46 PM   #11

The not so good:
Front brakes are a little spongy 'till bedded in. Others have mention the front brake pulsing. And new pads would help. Cheap fix.
The stock seat is a little thin on padding but a sheepskin or the Seat Concepts seats sold thru CSC are options.

Upgrades: Handguards, Power Outlets, Lowering Link(for marzhere, it's actually her bike) Kenda 270 tires, 13T front sprocket

Pros: Great little all-around bike. Light compared to my KLR. Commutes well, does trails, dirt roads, and even cruises the hwy pretty well. CSC warranty and customer service have more than offset the "chinese bike" stigma.

You really can't make a bad choice on the color, they are all sharp looking.

Rojo

Old 12-29-2015, 03:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSaddict View Post
...Oh and do you recommend any, have to have, options. I was going to get the center stand, power outlet, and hand guard options.

You have selected excellent options. In my opinion, the most important option is wrap-around hand guards to protect the levers. The CSC hand guards do not wrap around the levers.

I recommend you read the following thread regarding hand guards.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14766

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-29-2015, 05:18 PM   #13

Negative:

Front brake is weak, I purchased some sintered pads but haven't had a chance to try them yet.

Exhaust valve is a bit hard to get to. Use the right tools or get them.

Buzzy at 8-9000 RPM, great under that. It's got enough power for about 80 on flat stretches with no wind/tailwind. Plan on 60-65 in strong winds and steeper hills.

Bit of rust on steel frame and joints for the crash bars, use ACF-50 and problem solved. No worse than my KLR 650, but the more expensive bikes use more alloy.

Seat needed a pad for me (air hawk) for longer than 2 hours in saddle, it's all day comfortable with the pad, actually it's a very comfy all day bike for 65mph and under.

It's a bit loud, wear earplugs or don't and eventually the noise will go away

The Chinese bike thing, my other bikes Italian and everyone thinks they short circuit when raindrops hit them or break down every other ride so nothing new for me. Both mine and a friends have zero issues so far.

Poor fuel economy for a 250 for me, I'm averaging 53mpg. I'm heavy and treat the throttle like an on/off switch most of the time so that's probably as bad as it gets

Positives:

It's a smoking deal for what you get.

All day comfortable once seat is sorted.

It's the best "adventure" bike I've had for actual adventuring.

It's fun, hard to get that from spec sheets but this bike really is "special" in that respect.

The surprised reaction people get when you say "3500".

Old 12-29-2015, 06:27 PM   #14

Thank you all for your insights!!!

Old 12-29-2015, 11:16 PM   #15

Negatives.

Valve adjustment access as others have mentioned.

Stock seat. But I haven't changed it yet either.

"Speed" sticker. Seriously?

The stainless steel fasteners that are used roll out of my magnetic parts trays when I don't pay attention.

Stock windshield lets wind blast to face (I'm 72") so no 3/4 open face helmet which means no cigarette & coffee on morning commute.

No helmet lock standard. Since many folks go to a bigger trunk, minor thing.

Positive.

It's just,,,,,,,,, right.

A number of folks here and on other forums own multiple bikes, as do I, and all seem to go for the RX3 first. If I ride my Gold Wing I can have my coffee & cig and blast past almost all cars. But it's more work and not as nimble. No character. My BMW R60/5 has character, is nimble and speedy and also draws attention like the Zong, but it also feels it's years. It's a great 1971 motorcycle.

Under $4000 brand spanking new. Oh, and have you checked the replacement parts prices on CSC's site?