Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2015, 11:20 AM   #1

Top Speed (by GPS)?

What are you guys seeing for top speed on your RX3 via GPS?

I know the speedo's are pretty far off, mine with the 19" shows 84 on the speedo and 79 by
gps with no incline/decline in the road.

Whats the fastest speed your seeing on a flat stretch? If you don't mind adding rider weight, air temp, altitude so we can compare.

I'm 280lbs and hit 79mph while tucked in the fairing as best I can, 70 degrees at 900 feet MSL. I'm running Shinko 804/05, full set of panniers, no wind.

I'm happy with that. I need to downshift for hills on anything more than a slight grade above 60mph. My friend who weights 160 only needs to downshift from 6th on steep grades.

Passing must be completed on very long stretchs or preferable downhill above 60mph for me. Not a good bike for passing!

Old 10-13-2015, 11:24 AM   #2

Rider weight: 280 lbs (full gear)
Altitude: 100' MSL
GPS Speed: 83.9 mph (peak), 80 mph (sustained)
Notes: Stock bike, no panniers, normal seating position, cool morning air, relatively flat highway.

FWIW, I rode up a steep hill (toll road - Hwy 73) where I live. I had to downshift to 5th and climbed to the peak at 61 mph with the throttle fully pegged. But that's doing really darned well for a 250cc bike hauling my weight up a steep hill. In general, I can do 75 mph without much issue on most freeways around me, unless there's a longer hill involved.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:14 PM   #3

RPM's

You guys are making me feel skinny, (I'm Not).

I was wondering what RPM's your engines were turning during your top speed runs?

I have cruised at 8,000rpm on the interstate hwy., which is an indicated 80mph, and don't feel comfortable getting any closer to the bikes red line.

I went for a ride with several large displacement BMW's on Saturday, across the San Diego mountains. I needed to shift a lot (4th and 5th gears) to get up some of the steeper grades, and 8K rpm's on the interstate sections. On this 180 mile ride at very high rpms the RX3 still averaged 60 mpg.

It's a fun bike that keeps exceeding my expectations for a bike this size.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:50 PM   #4

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave92029 View Post
You guys are making me feel skinny, (I'm Not).

I was wondering what RPM's your engines were turning during your top speed runs?

I have cruised at 8,000rpm on the interstate hwy., which is an indicated 80mph, and don't feel comfortable getting any closer to the bikes red line.

I went for a ride with several large displacement BMW's on Saturday, across the San Diego mountains. I needed to shift a lot (4th and 5th gears) to get up some of the steeper grades, and 8K rpm's on the interstate sections. On this 180 mile ride at very high rpms the RX3 still averaged 60 mpg.

Dave I'm built literally like Sasquatch. Most people think I weight about 40-50 pounds less than I actually do.

As for RPM's, I run right to the redline and am comfortable doing so. Most
of the time wind/aerodynamics keep it from climbing there though and I'm about to switch to the 13T sprocket as I need to downshift too much. I'm not running until it's fully broken in on a regular basis but curiousity gets the best of me!

My first tank was about 50mpg, lots of variation in throttle as I do plenty of up/down the rev range and bedding in brakes. I also just plain require more throttle than a lighter guy.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:55 PM   #5

I would definitely be curious to see what everyone else's experiences are
with this bike top end wise. I just got my RX-3 and best I've done was 91mph indicated. Didnt have GPS on it and I dont know if my speedo is less optimistic or same as first production run but I assume 91mph was probably 84ish. Felt like I had a couple MPH left though on good road and tucking under shield. I'm 200 pounds 6' and live in Seattle area so 100 ft of elevation if even that. Temp was 65 degrees panniers on but nothing in them and not all geared up. I really wanna see what everyones top end would be with the 13t sprocket which I think I will order for sure and experiment with a bit.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:04 PM   #6

Thanks for starting the great thread, Lee. I am subscribed.

I switched from the stock, 14T/44T sprocket ratio to a 13T/46T sprocket ratio. Therefore, I won't be contributing any top speed information. However, I am very interested to hear the reports from others.

Unless you live near sea level, the ambient temperature is a very important piece of information to provide. On hot days, the density altitude of the air is much higher than the physical altitude. Therefore, especially at higher elevations, you will notice a decrease in engine power on very hot days, because the air is much thinner than usual.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-14-2015, 12:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave92029 View Post

Just wondering, Dave, what sort of feedback came from the others as the ride progressed.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:25 AM   #8

No GPS

150lbs. fully suited, if I had a large breakfast.
Six ft. tall.
Altitude between 12-50 feet when on the overpass.
Luggage always has 5-20 lbs.

I only watch the mph estimator while on surface streets as the Zong so readily exceeds posted limits in residential areas. Freeway portion of the commute I'm in the fast lane most of the time, moving right to let the really hurried go by.

A couple times I have glanced at the tach to see it about 10-10.5 krpm so rolled it down a tad.

Yes, passing requires forethought. I'd really like a 15t countershaft sprocket to reduce the revs at freeway speed. Glad my RX3 is the serene Blue.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Thanks for starting the great thread, Lee. I am subscribed.

I switched from the stock, 14T/44T sprocket ratio to a 13T/46T sprocket ratio. Therefore, I won't be contributing any top speed information. However, I am very interested to hear the reports from others.

Unless you live near sea level, the ambient temperature is a very important piece of information to provide. On hot days, the density altitude of the air is much higher than the physical altitude. Therefore, especially at higher elevations, you will notice a decrease in engine power on very hot days, because the air is much thinner than usual.
Your welcome, I know I was curious how these bikes perform under different conditions. All the reviews just state the indicated speeds which we know are a little optimistic!

Old 10-14-2015, 10:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
Just wondering, Dave, what sort of feedback came from the others as the ride progressed.
Back in 1991 I road the Iron Butt Rally, and proudly display the 11,000 miles in 11 day license plate frame, so most thought I was on a R12GS

When I mentioned that I was on a 250cc bike, most looked like didn't really didn't believe or understand what that meant.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
150lbs. fully suited, if I had a large breakfast.
Six ft. tall.
Altitude between 12-50 feet when on the overpass.
Luggage always has 5-20 lbs.

I only watch the mph estimator while on surface streets as the Zong so readily exceeds posted limits in residential areas. Freeway portion of the commute I'm in the fast lane most of the time, moving right to let the really hurried go by.

A couple times I have glanced at the tach to see it about 10-10.5 krpm so rolled it down a tad.

Yes, passing requires forethought. I'd really like a 15t countershaft sprocket to reduce the revs at freeway speed. Glad my RX3 is the serene Blue.
Writing like that makes my day.

It's as if you're related to Cheesy.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-14-2015, 12:58 PM   #12

I'm 180lbs ,bike full stock plus larger tires. 14T ,I hit GPS 84mph on my last trip to Yosemite. 8500 rpm . Had some left but the road didn't .I generally run 60-65 mph GPS on the highway. It's a vacation so why be in a hurry, I always say, rj

Old 10-14-2015, 03:21 PM   #13

I just tried out the interstate, 15-20mph head/crosswind and the bike will do about 70 in 5th. 6th is too tall and just leaves me decelerating. That's fine for the east coast but a but slow out west. I'd just avoid interstates if possible!

I'm really curious how the 13T sprocket is going to be once I install that this weekend.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:00 AM   #14

Top speed, etc.

Hi,

I've just done 2000 miles across the UK, France and Spain, cruising at 8000 RPM on a UK spec bike, 15" rear wheel and 18" front, on the standard tyres. Fully loaded for camping at the Bol D'Or.

On GPS that is 70 MPH, indicated 83.

My bike will regularly pull to 9200 RPM in 6th, indicated 97 MPH, GPS 85.

Using bikes odometer, it averaged 70.6 MPG (UK gallons).

Most of the time it could hold 8000 revs, although 1 day, due to the severe weather and the Mistral, I could not pull 8000 revs even in 4th gear, and was leaning over at 30 degrees going straight!

I didn't use any autoroutes.

I think the gearing is spot on and would only lower it for trail riding.

A slightly taller screen would be useful, too.

Back tyre completely knackered when I got home though, having done 3000 miles.

I hope this helps.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipatters View Post
Hi,

I've just done 2000 miles across the UK, France and Spain, cruising at 8000 RPM on a UK spec bike, 15" rear wheel and 18" front, on the standard tyres. Fully loaded for camping at the Bol D'Or.

On GPS that is 70 MPH, indicated 83.

My bike will regularly pull to 9200 RPM in 6th, indicated 97 MPH, GPS 85.

Using bikes odometer, it averaged 70.6 MPG (UK gallons).

Most of the time it could hold 8000 revs, although 1 day, due to the severe weather and the Mistral, I could not pull 8000 revs even in 4th gear, and was leaning over at 30 degrees going straight!

I didn't use any autoroutes.

I think the gearing is spot on and would only lower it for trail riding.

A slightly taller screen would be useful, too.

Back tyre completely knackered when I got home though, having done 3000 miles.

I hope this helps.
Welcome!

That sounds like an amazing trip. Feel free to share pics with us in the Ride Reports section.

Assuming your odometer is telling the truth, you averaged 84.72 MPG in US gallons!

Based on your gear usage and experience with the stock gearing, I suspect that you're leaner than most of us.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer