Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2015, 07:35 PM   #1

Oil Rotella?

Hello,
I have a 2006 Lifan LF200 G-5. Some people on here told me to get Rotella Oil. I went to Walmart and bought Rotella T SAE 15W-40 engine oil. I looked on the back and I don't see a picture of a motorcycle. I see Tractor Trailer, Farm tractor, Esculvator and a truck. Wouldn't I want to see a motorcycle on the back of the oil container?
Thanks

Old 02-28-2015, 08:17 PM   #2

That will work fine. It is intended for diesel engines, but works great in these bikes. Does not have the friction modifiers that car oils do.

Spud has 60,000 miles on his bike using the Rotella T.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:24 PM   #3

X2. All of my bikes and quads drink it.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-28-2015, 08:32 PM   #4

I picked up a gallon of Delo 400 at my local store since it was on sale for 10 bucks. Rotella was my first choice until I saw this deal.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:36 PM   #5

Delo is just as good.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:26 PM   #6

Indeed, Rotella, Delo, and Mobil Delvac are all excellent engine oils for motorcycles. I fill all my motorcycle engines with Mobil Delvac 15W/40, and my Zongshen ZS200GY-2 is rapidly approaching 68,000 miles on its odometer.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-28-2015, 10:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thinker View Post
I picked up a gallon of Delo 400 at my local store since it was on sale for 10 bucks. Rotella was my first choice until I saw this deal.
Where did you find the great deal on Chevron Delo 400?

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-28-2015, 11:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thinker View Post
I paid $13.97 for a gallon of the Rotella T.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:21 PM   #9

I'll use it. Thanks everyone. I just wanted to make sure I got the right stuff. lol

Thank you

Old 03-01-2015, 11:04 AM   #10
Banned

Advantages of the diesel oils

The principal reason I like it (besides the not having modifiers, of course) is the higher detergent levels and better detergents used (and needed) in many diesel engines. The older diesels were much "dirtier" producing more silt which blackens the oil. It keeps the inside of engines pretty much spotless when changed properly, I've found. It also (especially important on aircooled bikes) seems to deal with heat better before it "waxes up" and creates residues in valve covers crankcases, turbocharger drains, etc. I THINK it also has a higher shear and TBN (Total base #) which is how log it lasts before additive pkg "give up" and needs changing. I can check this out if anyone cares or wats to know.
Because of the cleaning qualities, (and it doesnt hurt gasoline engines anyway) I use it when I buy any used/new to me, motorized contraption, to clean out oil passages and engine internals. I'll run it until when changed its clear (relatively) and then usually go to AMsoil Full SYnthetic, which I REALLY like and have been using since 1976!

Old 03-01-2015, 01:19 PM   #11

15W40 diesel also has a certain amount of Zinc, which is good for babbit-based bearings. I figure it can't hurt roller bearings.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-01-2015, 02:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thillskier View Post
The principal reason I like it (besides the not having modifiers, of course) is the higher detergent levels and better detergents used (and needed) in many diesel engines. The older diesels were much "dirtier" producing more silt which blackens the oil. It keeps the inside of engines pretty much spotless when changed properly, I've found. It also (especially important on aircooled bikes) seems to deal with heat better before it "waxes up" and creates residues in valve covers crankcases, turbocharger drains, etc. I THINK it also has a higher shear and TBN (Total base #) which is how log it lasts before additive pkg "give up" and needs changing. I can check this out if anyone cares or wats to know.
Because of the cleaning qualities, (and it doesnt hurt gasoline engines anyway) I use it when I buy any used/new to me, motorized contraption, to clean out oil passages and engine internals. I'll run it until when changed its clear (relatively) and then usually go to AMsoil Full SYnthetic, which I REALLY like and have been using since 1976!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
15W40 diesel also has a certain amount of Zinc, which is good for babbit-based bearings. I figure it can't hurt roller bearings.
I agree with both of you.

I really learned a lot about motor oil by reading the articles linked below. These articles are a bit long, but they are very informative, and well worth the time required to read them. I highly recommend them.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Consumables.html

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-01-2015, 05:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Where did you find the great deal on Chevron Delo 400?
I got it at O'riely Auto Parts which used to be Kragen. It was the last bottle they had too

Old 03-01-2015, 05:53 PM   #14

Does Oil have an expiration date? Or best used by date? Reason being is that I'm here in the Philippines and I went by my auto parts shop and saw some oils (example valvoline 4T oil manufactured stamp 2007). It is in a plastic bottle so no fear of corrosion from a tin container... But I didn't but it because fear of it being "expired" by now.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:57 PM   #15

I think it would be fine.