Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2014, 12:09 PM   #1

Zongshen 200GY-A, Thar's yer problem! Starter Wires Rewire

This topic is about the starter and getting it going again. The starter wires are cut at the handlebar assembly, and what I think are the corresponding wires going to the coil are burnt. I will attach the two pics of this. I still need to hunt the wires from the handlebar cut and tucked inside tape somewhere along the main harness.

To fix I'll be re-running these wires along the main harness if my experiments connecting them directly work. Do I need to hunt a pair of actual connectors or make my own? Is there any reason not to?

Thanks!
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg burnt starter wires smaller.jpg (33.6 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg cut starter wires.jpg (22.1 KB, 106 views)

2007 Shineray Speedee 150, 1P57QMJ: Needs: starter rewired, exhaust connected, cleaned up, ignition switch simplified, new seat and lights, new front and back racks.

There's no such thing as a free puppy or motorcycle. I think I have caught the fever from y'all.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:22 PM   #2

you can use your own connectors... i would suggest insulated bullet style connectors... when i had to rewire my whole bike (i had a used harness to start with that needed help) thats what i used... quick, easy, clean looking.... i suggest the ones with heat shrink on the back side, as they are much more weather proof...

Old 07-21-2014, 12:41 PM   #3

You can definitely use your own connectors. Upon the advice of my best friend, a professional diesel mechanic with over 30 years of experience, I switched from bullet connectors to spade connectors. I use these spade connectors for all the electrical connections on my motorcycles.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...ade+connectors

The spade connectors never loosen from the harsh vibrations induced by riding off road.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-21-2014, 12:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
You can definitely use your own connectors. Upon the advice of my best friend, a professional diesel mechanic with over 30 years of experience, I switched from bullet connectors to spade connectors. I use these spade connectors for all the electrical connections on my motorcycles.

The spade connectors never loosen from the harsh vibrations induced by riding off road.
interesting... i have always had issues with spades loosening up... yet i never had issues with bullets loosening... i figured that if Honda and Suzuki thought them good enough, they would be good enough...LOL could be a case of personal experience....

Old 07-21-2014, 12:58 PM   #5

That's funny; I have had the opposite experience. I have had the bullet connectors loosen, but never had spade connectors loosen.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-21-2014, 01:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
That's funny; I have had the opposite experience. I have had the bullet connectors loosen, but never had spade connectors loosen.
interesting... perfect example i have...LOL the spade on my roketa's coil input loosened to the point of making the bike not run right, then not at all..LOL

Old 07-21-2014, 03:28 PM   #7

OOo Here's a fancy one--> like this one that way no vibration issues and kind of matches the old one. $3 though.

I'm still looking around; I know there are simpler two wire auto/computer connectors by the dozen I'm not finding at the moment. On hand I do have crimp connectors of all sorts, shrink tubing and can use those if I can get away with it.

I'll report back!
Jim

2007 Shineray Speedee 150, 1P57QMJ: Needs: starter rewired, exhaust connected, cleaned up, ignition switch simplified, new seat and lights, new front and back racks.

There's no such thing as a free puppy or motorcycle. I think I have caught the fever from y'all.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:50 PM   #8

Excellent sleuthing! By coil wires, do you mean solenoid wires?

I rewired my old Suzuki with bullet connectors, because that's what it came with originally. it was a '77 TS185 that would vibrate your fillings loose, and the connectors never failed.

Another alternative is to build your own Molex connectors. Not too spendy, and they're quite sturdy.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-21-2014, 11:47 PM   #9

Oh yes solenoid, the coil actually has all good wiring to and from.

I was rummaging through my box of computer parts and had several sets of molex connectors and went to molex.com, but I'll prolly use the regular old crimp-ons though, it is easy and no cash required. Woohoo I still haven't spent any cash!

I'll post pictures.
Jim

Old 07-22-2014, 01:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankme View Post
Woohoo I still haven't spent any cash!
You and I are gonna get along well.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-22-2014, 05:41 PM   #11

I think I heard "Make do, make it do, or do without"a million times growing up. It seems to have stuck as I am quite the resourceful packrat. I have a love/hate relationship with baling wire too. I'll even accept free motorcycles on the off chance I can get it to work.

Jim

Old 07-22-2014, 09:47 PM   #12

What you can't get to work can always be parted out or scrapped.