Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Dealer & Distributor Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2013, 10:23 PM   #1

Head Scratching how to make a china bike street legal

hi im new to china riders and i have a queston. i bought a 2007 tms200gy dual sport to hang on the back of my 5th wheel when we travel. the bike was registerd in the state of washington and had a plate and was street legal, well anyway my problem is i live in oregon, i went to my DMV to change the title and get it plated for oregon, but oregon dmv said its a off road bike not street legal in oregon, after talking to the lady at dmv i can make it legal if can get a letter from the manufacture stating it meets the safety & epa standards for the US. long story sorry, anyone know how to find the maker of this bike, the title says tms and thats all. thanks

Old 09-17-2013, 12:53 AM   #2

What a nuisance! If it was registered in WA, how can they deny you in OR?

Is there a work-around? Perhaps you can just have it inspected, and they'll issue a State VIN. Have you tried a different DMV?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-17-2013, 08:00 AM   #3

Look for a label on the swingarm. It should be about 2x4 inches and most likely a black background. I think that is the meets "epa" and "fmvss" label.

I am surprised. If they deny the WA title then the Vermont route may not work for you. You could also just register it in Vermont. See the sticky in the Registration forum.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:36 PM   #4

TMS I believe is T-Motorsports out of Chino, Cal. They used to re-label Lifan bikes as their own brand, among others. Hooper Imports coincidentally out of Washington is now the one importer of Lifan parts since Lifan left the US a couple years ago.

I would start with T Motorsports first since they are still in business (long time without Lifans, however), and then Hooper since his company is actively the only game in town with Lifan, and he is very reputable, perhaps he can help you out.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 09-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #5

I don't know if this might help. It's the oregon registered out of state forms;
http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/pages...havetitle.aspx

Ridiculous. One of the many reasons I left California. I call it the stupidity laws.
There are probably thousands of those bikes registered there. I'd ask to see a supervisor and ask why you are being discriminated against. Or as Weld said, try another DMV.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #6

Over the years, many or most of my dmv issues were solved simply by going to another dmv office.... sometimes the girls behind the counter just make their own rules

Old 09-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_newbie View Post
Over the years, many or most of my dmv issues were solved simply by going to another dmv office.... sometimes the girls behind the counter just make their own rules
I agree... Here in IL, theres some dmvs where you can take in an offroad title and ask for a plate and title transfer and walk out with a plate for your off road titled bike...and its a normal street plate... Then theres some offices that wont transter a title on a china bike... So its a crapshoot...

Old 09-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #8

I forget how many times a DMV counter person said to me "Driving is a privilege, not a right", in a snotty attitude. Really made me want to thank them for reminding me......yeah right.