Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2013, 11:40 PM   #1

Oops Ignition troubleshooting

Sunday I acquired a 2007 Hibird QH200ST. Pretty sweet quad, but it is not getting fire. It came with a brand new CDI box and voltage regulator. I tried both, but neither relieved the no fire issue.

I found a pinout for the CDI, and a vague CG200 wiring diagram.

I checked to make sure there was power going to the CDI box as well as ground. I also tried disconnecting the kill switch wire. My question is, should there be a positive pulse coming from the pickup coil wire to the CDI box? Should there be a positive pulse coming from the CDI box going to the coil?

Thanks!

Old 07-17-2013, 12:15 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonx4x4 View Post
...My question is, should there be a positive pulse coming from the pickup coil wire to the CDI box? Should there be a positive pulse coming from the CDI box going to the coil?

Thanks!
Yes, and yes.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-17-2013, 01:06 AM   #3

Is there a kill switch on the left handlebar that resembles a street bike turn signal switch? If so, press it in once and see if you get spark. Not joking.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-17-2013, 07:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Is there a kill switch on the left handlebar that resembles a street bike turn signal switch? If so, press it in once and see if you get spark. Not joking.
That entire assembly has been disconnected. The P.O. put a push-button switch for the starter and a rocker switch in-line of the wire running from the CDI box to the coil. I tried bypassing that switch to no avail. Even tried hooking the pickup coil wire directly to the ignition coil.

I tried a spare coil from my polaris, but I'm not entirely sure it's good.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #5

No disrespect intended when I ask: have you tried the rocker switch in both positions? Are you certain that the switch is in line between the CDI and coil, and not the CDI and ground?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-17-2013, 12:18 PM   #6

Quote:
No disrespect intended when I ask: have you tried the rocker switch in both positions? Are you certain that the switch is in line between the CDI and coil, and not the CDI and ground?
Lol you're not going to offend me.

My first suspicion was that it was a kill switch. So I disconnected it. Then, after tracing the wires, I discovered that it was connecting the coil to the cdi. So, I tried holding them while cranking. Still no fire.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #7

Can you show how cdi is connected right now ?
To disable kill switches totaly you can remove 1 cable from cdi.
Do you have a multimeter to measure volt ?

There is also an ground wire from pickup, on my its green i think.
Are the ignition coil frame grounded ?

Old 07-18-2013, 12:13 AM   #8

Last edited by jonx4x4; 07-18-2013 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Tried to do it on my phone...

Old 07-18-2013, 12:24 AM   #9

on the plug on the fender that you show in the second pic... that may be a kill plug... it there is no plug in it .. then it does not let the power got to the coil... this is what they had on the older GIO beast... there was a red tether plug to hold it in.. this allowed the power to go to the coil... see if this is true.. by connecting the two wires together ... check with you ohm meter.. hook the two together to allow the power to connect up.... I had this on a 200 beast ... I forgot to put the tether cord on as the customer gave it to me...

Old 07-18-2013, 06:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASHLIGHTBOY View Post
on the plug on the fender that you show in the second pic... that may be a kill plug... it there is no plug in it .. then it does not let the power got to the coil... this is what they had on the older GIO beast... there was a red tether plug to hold it in.. this allowed the power to go to the coil... see if this is true.. by connecting the two wires together ... check with you ohm meter.. hook the two together to allow the power to connect up.... I had this on a 200 beast ... I forgot to put the tether cord on as the customer gave it to me...

There was a wire there before. It was about 2ft too long. I disconnected it to try hooking the coil directly to the pickup coil.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #11

Can you confirm that the wiring layout in your CDI diagram matches reality? The reason I ask is that the CDI in the diagram is different from your photo, and my guess is that your CDI is DC.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Can you confirm that the wiring layout in your CDI diagram matches reality? The reason I ask is that the CDI in the diagram is different from your photo, and my guess is that your CDI is DC.
Its the closest I could find. I couldnt find one for a 7-pin. As far as AC/DC, I figured it was all DC...

Old 07-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #13

When I say matches reality, I mean does your CDI have the same pinout?

IOW, is there a wire that goes from the CDI to the ignition switch?
Is the CDI properly grounded?
Are there two wires that come from the stator and pickup that connect to the CDI?

The reason I ask is that the keyed switch connects one wire from the CDI to ground when switched off. Perhaps that's part of the issue.

Assuming all is ok with the CDI, I'd investigate the coil. When forum member Jim bought a 200 Beast quad and couldn't get spark, I removed the coil wire from the coil to check for continuity. The wire had continuity, the boot showed the correct resistance (around 5K ohm, IIRC) but the coil had no continuity. I grabbed a brand new coil from my parts stash and found that my coil was good but the boot resistor was bad. By combining the two coils, I made one good one.

The coil has a rubber boot over either end of the wire, and the boot can be peeled back so the wire can be unscrewed from either end. On my quad, I replaced the stock wire with an NGK wire and boot, since it is more flexible in cold weather. Hasn't missed a beat.

Also, it would be a good idea to buy more CDI's for testing. They're cheap and plentiful.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:28 PM   #14

Quote:
When I say matches reality, I mean does your CDI have the same pinout?

IOW, is there a wire that goes from the CDI to the ignition switch?
Is the CDI properly grounded?
Are there two wires that come from the stator and pickup that connect to the CDI?

The reason I ask is that the keyed switch connects one wire from the CDI to ground when switched off. Perhaps that's part of the issue.

Assuming all is ok with the CDI, I'd investigate the coil. When forum member Jim bought a 200 Beast quad and couldn't get spark, I removed the coil wire from the coil to check for continuity. The wire had continuity, the boot showed the correct resistance (around 5K ohm, IIRC) but the coil had no continuity. I grabbed a brand new coil from my parts stash and found that my coil was good but the boot resistor was bad. By combining the two coils, I made one good one.

The coil has a rubber boot over either end of the wire, and the boot can be peeled back so the wire can be unscrewed from either end. On my quad, I replaced the stock wire with an NGK wire and boot, since it is more flexible in cold weather. Hasn't missed a beat.

Also, it would be a good idea to buy more CDI's for testing. They're cheap and plentiful.
I couldn't get the coil to shock me and there was no power going into it. I also tried the extra coil off of my polaris with no results.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #15

I have a 2007 hi-bird 110cc same model and it is DC powered cdi. I would think the 200cc one would be also.