Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2013, 12:44 AM   #1

50 cc atv too fast

has anyone found any gears to fit the motor & rear axle to slow down the 50 cc atv ... as it is too fast for very small & light kids... the throttle governor will not go slow enough..

Old 03-26-2013, 03:18 AM   #2
Administrator

You should be able to 'rig' something fairly easy so the throttle has even less movement, no?

Old 03-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #3

I'd start with a new JT sprocket, like one for an XR50. They post the critical dimensions on the JT website, so that's easy.

If you don't want to regear, you can find a piece of plastic tube that has an ID only slightly larger than the throttle cable. Cut a length that will fit above the slider in the carb, but will still allow the slider to travel some. Perhaps you'll find that 1/2" is a good start.

Slice the length of the tube, so that it can be slipped over the throttle cable and placed above the slider. The tube will prevent the slider from opening all the way, and you can limit the throttle opening by trimming the tube length. The trick is to have the throttle open far enough to engage the automatic clutch without creating excessive heat.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #4

THROTTLE GOVERNOR

the governor can be turned right down but when the kids are very light... they can hold the throttle just off of idle and then it will pick up speed and go too fast... the change o f rear gearing is the better way to go but I have to find some smaller gears for the motor... I know of a 12 tooth motor gear... but the rear gear has to be larger to decrease the final ratio... I thought maybe some one has ventured into this solution before...

Old 09-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #5

I put these on my sons 50cc, has much more power at low throttle settings for going up hills etc, and it slowed him down.

New rear sprocket JT Sprocket part # JTR801.46. New front sprocket '82 honda ATC 12 tooth, the front sprocket is held on with a snap ring, bolt holes did not match factory but it is holding fine after 2 years of hard use

Old 09-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #6

changed gears

I picked up some new gears..... small on the motor and about 47 or so on th e rear... good now thanks weldand grind

Old 09-23-2013, 01:03 AM   #7

Do you find that the top speed is manageable for young riders now?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-28-2013, 07:51 PM   #8

Top speed

YES the person I did this for was afraid that the kid would go too fast... now it is good.. and they do not worry.... he thought the throttle governor was not slow enough... now he can rev the motor and it has enough power to move the atv ... but not to fast..... and then he will change ti around once he trust the kid.... I think some worry too much...

Old 09-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #9

change of gears

I put a 11 tooth & 48 tooth... 428 chain.... cost was $15.00 + SHIPPING For the 2 gears... 4.8 - 1 ... good now