Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #1

mikuni carb leaking - any ideas?

Hey dudes my bro's bike has a mikuni carb thats leaking from the bottom, or along the side at the gasget and draining down along the bottom its hard to tell, but its leaking badly.

Any ideas on what might be the problem?

We have been having a very hard time getting it started since his electric system quit, basically after he bought it the screws gradually loosened on the battery connections and fell off, we werent able to fix it (no new screws would fit because they were square shaped i think). We need a new battery and maybe that will fix that problem. But anyways we had been kick starting it, which was a challenge. You would have to kick it over dozens of times switching between choke and no choke until it would start eventually. Recently though its been leaking gas and getting harder to start. Yesterday we couldnt get it to start at all and the carb was soaked with gas on the outside. We towed it up a hill with my bike and he rode it down to jump start it.. the tire pressure was low we figured (since it was quite cold up there compared to the house where we filled the tire) and when the tire locked up when it went into gear it pulled so hard it broke the tube right at the air valve stem.. but we assumed that was due to low air pressure so we'll sort the tire out.

When we got it going it ran ok enough but the tire was shot so we went home.

Thing is the carb is always full of gas now, when you use the bottom drain hose to drain the carb (because its covered in gas on the outside and reaks) quite a bit of gas pours out.

I read once that the floats can get holes in them and cause flooding, i think he said the float floated last night when he took the carb off.. not sure what to try next.

My bike could use a mikuni carb too so i was thinking we could just buy a couple off ebay but as i googled this problem there were thousands of returns about mikuni carbs leaking, maybe there's a better option?

Any input on what we should do would be muchly appreciated!

thanks guys.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to 450-WheelieBoyz
-your float isnt working correctly
-new gaskets are needed
-needs to be cleaned

take apart your carb and clean in, buy new gasket kit off ebay, assemble the carb making sure your float is working fine...re install.

if your float stays open...gas keeps going through...

cheers

-2011 X31 Gio 250cc-
Mikuni Upgrade
Air filter
Hydro-clutch

Reppin -> Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Old 03-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #3

thanks brother!