Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-27-2007, 12:58 PM   #1

Lifan LF200GY-5 - Odometer fix

I have the dual odometer/spedometer that came on my '06 from HooperImports. At about 1,200 km my odometer quit working.

I had a bicycle spedometer/odometer rigged up but it quit on me this week(my ghetto fabulous mount is what actually failed). So last night I decided to take apart the spedometer/odometer and see what's up.

There's a bunch of gears and shafts in there. The spedometer input and gear in the center of the spedometer frame that is hooked directly to the spedometer cable is connected to a shaft 90 degrees to it via a gear. That shaft has a gear at the end of it that transmits the 'turns' to another set of gears via a worm style gear. Standard gear on the first shaft connected to a worm gear on the 2nd shaft.

It took me a bit of trouble shooting. I finally hooked up a cordless drill to the spedometer input shaft to see what was going on. That's when I realized the problem:
1) The spedometer input was turning.
2) The first shaft, connected to the spedometer input, was turning.
3) But the second shaft was not turing.

After further investigation I realized that the first shaft gear to second shaft worm gear had too much play/gap. The second shaft is fixed properly in position and does not move. But, the first shaft has play at the end where it meets up with the worm gear. It appears that the stamped metal housing has worn allowing the interface to open up just enough that the two gears don't mesh.

As a temporary fix I took a garbage bag twistie tie (one of the newer plastic coated ones) and used it to pull and hold the first shaft into proper position. I then sprayed the whole assembly with silicone lubricant. Put it back to gether and it seems to work fine.

I've got to find a more permanent solution since I doubt my twistie tie is going to last long. Who wants to place bets? It could last a day (of which I'm already half way through with my 15 mile commute), or it could last a month. Who knows.

Oh, and sorry if this has already been covered. I searched and couldn't find anything. But since I haven't been on here in awhile I may have missed a discussion.

(I know this post is nearly useless without pics. I was running out of daylight to get things back together last night. When I take it apart for a more permanent solution I'll try and take pics.)