Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #1

Engine upgrades!!

hey guys, i was wondering if anyone knows what kind of mods you can do and what fits these bikes for parts i have a 2008 250 gio im not sure how to find out the x31 or x37 stuff, still new to these bikes and trying to figure them out :P any help would be greatly appreciated. ive checked the numbers that were on the frame where the folks are but nothing that helps there for finding out what this bike really is.

P.S sorry for my spelling and errors im not the best at English

Old 03-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #2

Feel free to post pics, and we'll go from there.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #3

i just took some pictures actually was going to paint it up and clean it some ill post them soon

Old 03-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #4

heres a couple of pictures dont mind the mess
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...93c3fdf585f325
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...07aa46b7f5bad9
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...cd895756eae0c4

the tires are 16" in the back and 19" in the front. this bike has been through alot by the looks of it:P but ill clean it up give it new paint and fenders. i have new grips for the handle bar and just ordered the tubes for the tire and the front sprocket 12 tooth and a new chain and a new rear sprocket

Old 03-15-2013, 12:13 AM   #5

To me, you have the perfect model. USD forks, pushrod motor, aluminum rims, decent swingarm and I think the header pipe is stainless. Good score!

See if a magnet will stick to the header pipe; if it doesn't, you have the rare stainless pipe.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #6

whats USD mean? and it is stainless the magnet didn't stick to it. so when you say rare,how rare? will this help identified the model of bike this is?

Old 03-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #7

Up Side Down. Also called male slider.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #8

that doesn't sound to good lol whats the differences between USD or normal?

Old 03-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #9

For a 200cc trailbike really no functional difference. For a heavier more powerful bike the USD forks offer higher torsional stiffness at the same weight, with lower unsprung weight. Plus they look cooler. :wink:

Old 03-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #10

that's good to know and yes they do look nice:P how can you tell the differences between them? anyone have any ideas what model this bike is yet, i know its a 250 but that's it lol o and is there a specail way you time these bikes?

Old 03-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #11

For a 200cc trailbike really no functional difference. For a heavier more powerful bike the USD forks offer higher torsional stiffness at the same weight, with lower unsprung weight. Plus they look cooler. :wink:

Old 03-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickEvans
that's good to know and yes they do look nice:P how can you tell the differences between them? anyone have any ideas what model this bike is yet, i know its a 250 but that's it lol o and is there a specail way you time these bikes?
The differences with USD forks? They're upside down. Google some images of USD and coventional forks, and you'll spot the differences.

Your bike is probably an X31, but don't focus on that. What's more important is that you have all of the good stuff.

The stainless header is rather rare; most of the Gios had steel headers. It'll never rust.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:43 PM   #13

they do look nicer good point so any ideas for upgrades? ive got a couple things on order now for the drive but how about valves or cams pistons? stuff along those lines any ideas there?

Old 03-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #14

Set your valves. That's it for engine maintenance. There aren't any performance cam options, and I wouldn't bump the compression, because you'll just break the kicker.

You already have an excellent exhaust, and you probably have a Mikuni carb (please let us know). Check the airbox, and I'm sure you'll find it to be junk. I'd figure out how to run a better quality filter, like this one: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/42mm-Air-Filt...93940d&vxp=mtr

If you really want to play with the motor, you can port and polish the intake and exhaust. That might be worth a little bump in power.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #15

what do i have to set the values to? .003? and i do have a mikuni carb :P the air box actually seems to have a half decent filter on it ill double check i never really looked it closely. port and polish cant that be quite risky if i have never done it before? i also have a picture of my sub-frame i would like to show you it looks like they cut it off at some point but i might be wrong. i cant mount my seat to it for some reason they had screwed the seat down to the sub-frame with self threading screws lol.. by the sounds of things i got a good deal for 75 dollars

i read how to post photos sorry for the previous ones :P