Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2013, 01:18 AM   #1

Project Zongshen Sierra

I just bought a 2006 Zongshen Sierra non running, tomorrow will be the first day i start on my project bike. Unfortunately I know very little on Enduro's let alone a Zongshen, I dont know whether to use synthetic or regular oil in my bike. And is it even possible to switch from regular to synthetic? if so, what are the steps into doing so? I've always admired the Zong, Since it was the first bike i learned to ride on. Also what would be the best way to clean out my Carburetor. Luckily for me i live 20minutes away from Zongshen America. parts are not the issue in my case, knowledge is. `

thanks, Kidd

Old 03-10-2013, 01:32 AM   #2

Oh, no. Do you know what you just did? You started another dreaded oil debate.

Several of us have converted to 15W40 diesel oil, of whatever brand is on sale. Lately, I've been using Rotella, which I get for cheap at Walmart.

Yes, you can switch from synthetic to conventional. Just drain the old oil out and add whatever you wish. Make sure that you clean the filter and screen properly, and install the filter in the correct direction. http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=7415

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-10-2013, 01:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Oh, no. Do you know what you just did? You started another dreaded oil debate.

Several of us have converted to 15W40 diesel oil, of whatever brand is on sale. Lately, I've been using Rotella, which I get for cheap at Walmart.

Yes, you can switch from synthetic to conventional. Just drain the old oil out and add whatever you wish. Make sure that you clean the filter and screen properly, and install the filter in the correct direction. http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=7415
lol i appologize for that but as i stated earlier i am in experienced when it comes to this, you spoke of 15w40 diesel oil. what are the advantages to it compared to synthetic oil?

Old 03-10-2013, 03:38 AM   #4

It is a non-energy conserving oil, so it's suitable for use with motorcycle wet clutches. The only advantage over synthetic oil is the price.

BTW, Spud has more than 50,000 miles on his Zong, and he uses 15W40 diesel oil.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-10-2013, 03:53 AM   #5

As usual, I agree with Weld. I also like the 15W/40, diesel motor oil. It's excellent motor oil, but the price is very reasonable, because the oil refineries sell so much of this oil to commercial trucking operations.

However, any good motor oil will work well in your Zong, as long as it's not "energy conserving" oil, which will cause your bike's clutch to slip. The most important thing is to change you motor oil every 1,000 miles, and clean the oil filter with each oil change.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
As usual, I agree with Weld. I also like the 15W/40, diesel motor oil. It's excellent motor oil, but the price is very reasonable, because the oil refineries sell so much of this oil to commercial trucking operations.

However, any good motor oil will work well in your Zong, as long as it's not "energy conserving" oil, which will cause your bike's clutch to slip. The most important thing is to change you motor oil every 1,000 miles, and clean the oil filter with each oil change.

Spud
Thanks again for everything guys, i was working on the zong today with a buddy of mines that knows about motorcycles. we clean the carb out. to my surprise it wasnt as gumy and dirty as i thought itd be. i only spent $23 to get her up and running. everything worked like it was suposed too. i also changed the oil & bought a new spark plug. i will post pics later as for i do not know how to post them now. my next step is to call ZA tomorrow & order all the cosmetic parts that need to be replaced on my bike

Old 03-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #7

Thanks for the good update! I'm glad your Zong is running.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for the good update! I'm glad your Zong is running.

Spud
I am too, i still have to do a couple minor things cosmetically, but for the most part it's road worthy! im gonna upload pictures of my adventure in a lil so check back in soon

Old 03-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #9

Old 03-11-2013, 02:52 AM   #10

Thanks for posting the photos.

If appears you need a cover for the air box. Don't ride the bike without an air filter installed, or you will suck dirt into the engine. The dirt will damage your intake valve, valve seat, and the piston rings. :(

You can buy an entire air box from Taobao; however, I would first check with Zongshen America. Another option is to put a pod filter on the intake of the carburetor.

I'm glad you got the carburetor re-assembled correctly. You've got to be careful to get the slide diaphragm seated properly in the top of the carburetor.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #11

looks like the chain needs oiling

Old 03-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks for posting the photos.

If appears you need a cover for the air box. Don't ride the bike without an air filter installed, or you will suck dirt into the engine. The dirt will damage your intake valve, valve seat, and the piston rings. :(

You can buy an entire air box from Taobao; however, I would first check with Zongshen America. Another option is to put a pod filter on the intake of the carburetor.

I'm glad you got the carburetor re-assembled correctly. You've got to be careful to get the slide diaphragm seated properly in the top of the carburetor.

Spud

i bought the filter from a local motorcycle shop, the reason why the picture has it off is because the old filter was nasty & falling apart. but ive got everything now

Old 03-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #13

Old 03-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #14

Gotta love tailgate work benches.

I'd get rid of that chain and just replace it. Spud has researched this topic to an amazing extent, so the Zong sticky can provide you with all of the info you need.

That tank is very familiar to me; I'm using Spud's old Zong tank on my TW.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Gotta love tailgate work benches.

I'd get rid of that chain and just replace it. Spud has researched this topic to an amazing extent, so the Zong sticky can provide you with all of the info you need.

That tank is very familiar to me; I'm using Spud's old Zong tank on my TW.
Tailgate work benches are all we use in FL , ive already looked into replacing the chain. a friend of mines/ ex stunt rider works at a motorcycle shop. he's offered to help me acquire parts and help me through my restoration. these tank can take a beating mines had minimal rust inside after sitting for close to 3 years, since i have to wait for some parts to come in. im gonna take this time to paint those faded plastics, im missing a couple & cant seem to find anywhere they sell them around here. I called ZA numerous time & never got an answer.