Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2012, 06:53 AM   #1

New guy with Clutch problems!!!

So i picked up a nice little Jet Moto 250cc Dirt bike some time ago for next to nothing. Had an oil leak do to someone rebuilding the top end without a gasket... Used RTV instead. Anyhow upon fixing that, and replacing the stator and flywheel, I got the bike roaring to life!!! Sounds mean, fast throttle response, and idles smooth...

However, with every triumph there is a set back! My clutch is completely inoperable. Pull the clutch and it does nothing. Tried adjusting the cable. Still nothing. Pulled the cable itself as far as it would allow... still nothing. Upon removing the clutch cover... I noticed there is a mushroom head push-rod in the middle of the clutch basket... It can be removed with my fingers. I didn't find any springs behind it. Or in front of it. there was nothing there but the push rod.

I feel like something is missing. When you look at the clutch cable mechanism... it appears its supposed to push the "pushrod in" to the clutch basket to engage the clutch and pull it out to disengage it. However because there is a spring or something missing... nothing works.

Help... I'm flying blind here! I'm really good at reverse engineering things. But I feel like something is missing. Because someone touched it before me, I have no way of knowing anything.

Pease help! Holidays are here and my son really wants to ride.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #2

Does this help? The number of clutch plates is immaterial; the rest of the components should be the same.

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-xr200r-19...8.html#results

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #3

Does this video give u the idea?

Old 12-19-2012, 01:43 AM   #4

That cost the guy in the video $40! 8O

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-19-2012, 05:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
That cost the guy in the video $40! 8O
It's std market price in Pear River Delta for that kind of job. Parts costs ~$20 already.
Some mechanic had lower quotation in Guangdong because had "brain power". :P 100k+ km bike

Old 12-19-2012, 07:03 AM   #6

Video

The video kinda helped... I saw it earlier. However the pushrod on that clutch is different from mine. His has a long skinny push rod and the one on my bike is thicker and mushroomed :oops:

Im lost... Wish I woulda had this thing before someone screwed with it!

Old 12-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #7

I think the type you're describing is the Honda XR200 version that I linked to above.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
I think the type you're describing is the Honda XR200 version that I linked to above.
Thats exactly right! The picture shows that I have everything...? However clutch is still not existent... Doesnt work... I can pull the cable and lever and nothing happens. It the clutch actuated by fluid inside... Im so lost.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:11 AM   #9

Unsure about your exact clutch, but on the Hondas, it is possible to install the pressure plate so that its internal splines sit atop of the splines of the clutch center instead of "meshed" with them, and thus the clutch is always released..... A sequence of 1/4 turns will let you find the correct orientation as the parts will manually slide together enough to clamp the plates together with light pressure when correct......
I may still have the pieces and be able to take pics showing the orientation differences......I'll post them here if I can dig out those parts from the spares boxes....

Old 02-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #10

Does anyone know what that tool is he used around 1:30 in the video? A compression nut tool or something?? Wondering where I can buy one, I'm going to rebuild my clutch before spring and that tool would make the job a lot easier!

Old 02-11-2013, 09:42 PM   #11

This will do it. It will remove the nut behind the centrifugal oil pump cover, as well as the clutch. An impact wrench is an ideal way to drive it.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Clutch-Tool-H...641dfe&vxp=mtr

Old 03-19-2013, 11:35 PM   #12

Installed new clutch plates -made sure to pre soak them in oil, and put everything back together. Took the bike for a test ride this morning and noticed the clutch slipping quite a bit. I backed off the cable to completely slack and its grabbing better but if I slap on the throttle there's still some slip before it grabs. Is this normal? does it need some break in?

Old 03-25-2013, 12:34 AM   #13

It shouldn't need any break-in time. What type of oil are you using?

Old 03-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #14

10w40 for 4stroke/wet clutch. Took it for a ride this past weekend and everything is good. Maybe the plates were just a bit oversaturated with oil if thats possible?...

Changing clutch plates on this bike is super easy, the hardest part was finding the parts. Chinaparts depot had a full clutch package for about 80 bux but the sproket was about 2mm larger in diameter. But just take the plates out of the housing and use them in your old one. Works like a charm

Old 03-26-2013, 03:51 PM   #15

Glad to hear that it works properly now. It never occurred to me that the plates might be saturated.