Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #1

2011 X31 250cc - top end ticking/rattling noise!

Hi guys,

I have noticed a ticking or clicking or rattling sound (from my top end I think it is) when the bike is running. I thought it might be normal or not that bad but when i seem to really rev it up like trying to do a 180 degree turnaround by spining the wheel in the dust it seems to really speed up and become more of a fast spinning rattle and scary sounding.

I dont know anything about dirt bike engines but I have a feeling something is wrong inside. How should I go about finding out whats wrong and how to proceed?

The sound (when it speeds up upon high revs) reminds me of the sound these super old noise maker toys make if you've heard them before, it sounds like a small piece of metal is loose inside rattling around or something. When its slow its just a sort of metally ticking in the top end like the engine is low on oil or something. http://www.youbulkit.com/content/ima...ise_maker.jpeg

Please point me in the right direction. Thanks guys!!!!

Old 08-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #2

You probably want to check the valve adjustment.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #3

Hello in Burnaby!

Excellent noise comparison. I agree with Kato; the valves likely need adjustment. I'm guessing that you have an OHC engine, but pics of the top end would help us. We can then point you towards a tutorial.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #4

Yup, the 2011 is OHC. I think they switched over in 2009.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:31 AM   #5

thanks guys,

here is a picture of the bike

Old 08-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #6

Not 100% certain, but that appears to be a pushrod engine.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:04 AM   #7

That's odd, the engine cover say's Lifan but most all the GIO's I have seen run Zongshen engines. They supposedly switched over from pushrod to OHC in 2009. Here is the listing page for the X31, I wonder if this bike has had a different motor installed?
http://www.giobikes.com/Auction/2963...-Dirt-Bike-21/

Old 08-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #8

yea i had wondered why there was a few questionable things done on the engine, to tell you the truth though i thought they just did hack jobs when putting these together and they just threw in whatever motors they had handy.. but i bet this is a replacement now that you mention it. I have a car guy buddy who looked at it and said he could tell all the main things on the engine had been removed at one point, he said these bolts have been taken off and these ones.. i didnt think much of it tho i figured that was in China.

the other side has a kickstart that goes the wrong direction from all the kickstarts ive seen on gios and hondas (it bashes my right shin all the time), so now it makes sense that its probably not the original engine or kick start.

Any ideas?

Old 08-28-2012, 02:39 PM   #9

I think what you have there is a Lifan 200cc engine, pushrod valves... That's why you notice such a difference in power between yours and your brothers if he has the actual 250cc overhead cam engine. Definitely not the original GIO powerplant... As suggested already, the clicking/ticking is probably coming from your valves, it would be a good idea to check the clearances and get them into spec if they aren't.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #10

ok thanks, I also noticed that he has a mikuni carb and mine is some no name one looks like.. :(

how much do you guys think it would cost if i brought this to Valley Motorsports in Langley for a valve adjustment? Anyone know anything about that place? - http://www.valleymotorsports.ca/

EDIT#2 - ScooterKing says they'll do the adjustment for less than 100 bucks probably if thats the problem. That sounds reasonable.

Do you guys think this is something i could do myself? I just think this bike probably needs a once over/tune up by someone who will know if something is wrong with it before i start working on it myself. I already tightened everything up, tightened the chain and painted it but I dont know about doing much more than maybe the brakes myself at this point.

HERE'S THE MAIN QUESTION I HAVE NOW:

Can i leave this for a while and go on a trip this weekend (just logging road riding) without it doing damage to the engine? Or do the valves need to be adjusted right now?

Old 08-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to 450-WheelieBoyz
<div>I now own a 2011 X31 250cc!
</div>

with a non-original engine???

liftan engine is costs less than the Gio engine??

nice paint!

Old 08-29-2012, 12:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone
ok thanks, I also noticed that he has a mikuni carb and mine is some no name one looks like.. :(

how much do you guys think it would cost if i brought this to Valley Motorsports in Langley for a valve adjustment? Anyone know anything about that place? - http://www.valleymotorsports.ca/

EDIT#2 - ScooterKing says they'll do the adjustment for less than 100 bucks probably if thats the problem. That sounds reasonable.

Do you guys think this is something i could do myself? I just think this bike probably needs a once over/tune up by someone who will know if something is wrong with it before i start working on it myself. I already tightened everything up, tightened the chain and painted it but I dont know about doing much more than maybe the brakes myself at this point.

HERE'S THE MAIN QUESTION I HAVE NOW:

Can i leave this for a while and go on a trip this weekend (just logging road riding) without it doing damage to the engine? Or do the valves need to be adjusted right now?
Well, that's a question only you can answer since we cant actually hear or diagnose your bike in person... I would have to say that if the noise is loud enough to alarm you, I would either check it myself or get it checked out before going on a weekend ride. The fellow that put that Lifan in your bike more than likely never checked the valves either. I'm curious as well, does the electric start work on it?

P.S. The OD paint job does look great, is it Krylon Fusion?

Old 08-29-2012, 02:04 AM   #13

I wouldn't take my bike to either shop. Yes, you can do the job yourself, and you should become familiar with it, because it's a good idea to check your valves every second or third oil change. It's really easy and quick.

This will get you started if you have a pushrod motor: http://hondacg125.awardspace.com/valve_clearance.htm

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-29-2012, 02:13 AM   #14

As usual, I agree with Weld. Here's a link to a thread at China Riders regarding how to perform a valve adjustment.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...ewtopic&t=1655

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450-WheelieBoyz
<div>I now own a 2011 X31 250cc!
</div>

with a non-original engine???

liftan engine is costs less than the Gio engine??

nice paint!
I don't think the Lifan would be any cheaper, I'm guessing that the previous owner blew up the original engine and the Lifan was easier to find for replacement purposes. The reason that the kickstart is probably wonky is because the 200cc Lifan is sold as a replacement for ATV's and motorcycles, this one might have the ATV kicker.
http://www.pccmotor.com/lifan-200cc-...-bike2005.html

Edit: I just checked GIO's website and they are charging $699 for a replacement OHC engine... So, I'm guessing price was a factor in choosing the Lifan as well.