Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2012, 12:33 AM   #1

Just bought a GIO X31

I just purchased a GIO X31 19/16 last night. I was lucky I got it when I did. There was one in the auctions for 589.96 that expired in a couple hours. All the other X31's that had been posted after that were $849.95. In the end it is going to cost me just over $1,000 for it with all the shipping costs. $200 to ship a dirt bike from Vancouver to Surrey? This is further proof that these fees are not set by the shipper and is just GIO making up cost when they post it for so cheap in the auction. Still this is a better deal than I could have gotten if I bought from a reseller like Valley Motorsports in Langley BC who wants $1,298 before taxes. I'm just glad I caught it before the prices went up.

This will be my first bike. I have property up near 70 Mile, BC and just wanted a bike to put around in. I figured I'd learn on the X31 and eventually buy a more powerful Japanese bike or atv. I just want to make sure I'm on the right track as far as setting up the bike for the first time and some minor upgrades.

- Change oil
- Clean carb and gas tank of any debris
- Swap fuel line and filter for better quality ones
- Change out the spark plug with a real NGK plug
- Grease front axle
- CNC clutch and brake levers(I actually found a link on GIO's site that sells their exact levers for half the price and free shipping)
- UNI filter
- Upgraded CDI
- Loctite the sh*t out of everything

Any other recommendations?

Old 02-16-2012, 12:58 AM   #2

Welcome!

Congrats on your new bike; I hope you get many happy miles out of it. Maybe we can meet up at the Peg for a ride some time.

If you plan on riding around 70 mile (where bike shops are rare), you might want to ditch the stock tubes now. Pop into Gnarly Parts and grab a set of hd tubes, or better yet, Michelin ultra heavy duty tubes. That's what I use. Another good preemptive strike is a hd chain from Gnarly, because the stock chains tend to really stretch. I use either RK or DID.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-16-2012, 02:05 AM   #3

I was on the fence about doing the chain right away or waiting until it went. I'll take my chances with the tubes. I was going to put a bit of slime in them just incase. I'm not too worried about not having a parts store close by. If something breaks I'll just bring it back to the property and bring up parts the next time I come up. The bike is probably going to stay up there most the year anyways. I just hope if something does go it's not a long walk back to my property. Is there much involved in putting a UNI filter on these?

Old 02-16-2012, 09:59 AM   #4

I don't have experience with your specific bike, so I can't help much with a Uni. You could carve up the stock box so that it acts as just a water shield, and then install a Uni pod. The other option is to determine if the box is copied from another bike, meaning that perhaps an OEM Uni replacement will fit.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #5

I think Wayne changed the air cleaner on his x31 and ditched the air box. I'll have a look for the thread tonight when I'm on a computer. Phones not too good for searches

Old 02-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #6

I've seen 3 threads about modifying the filter. One just has a picture of a uni filter over the stock cage. As far as I can tell the air box was not modified. Another one only talked about cutting up the airbox to get a uni to fit, but didn't provide to much information. The third I think was a K&N style filter. The whole air box was removed along with the battery and it was shielded with a piece of aluminum. I don't know what the inside of the airbox looks like and how much room there is. I'll just wait till I have the bike together and figure out what I can do.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #7

I think Wayne's was the one with the airbox removed and the aluminum shield, you found it

Old 02-17-2012, 01:18 AM   #8

If your airbox takes a piece of filter material sandwiched between two plastic frames, you can use bulk Uni filter media. I think the bulk pack is around $20.00. Make sure to use good oil with it; I like Maxima Fab1.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:24 AM   #9

I have that same bike, and so far it's been fantastic. These are the things I did:
Clean out gas tank
Hydraulic clutch lever
Fuel filter & lines
Loctite
New bolts for rear wheel sprocket

That's it. The stock plug is working fine, and I didn't touch the carb at all. The tires are certainly pieces of garbage. Imagine a pencil eraser made into tire form. You can also adjust the rear shock by turning a dial on it. Mine came at maximum stiffness setting from the factory and it took a few rides for me to realize it was adjustable. I also plan on replacing the chain, but tires are definitely the next thing.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:26 AM   #10

The bike was delivered today. I'll probably leave it in its crate until I get it up to 70 Mile in the next month or so. I read that it comes with tools? Anyone who has put one together, can you recommend any other tools that would help out.

I also picked up a monster decal pack, so I'll be changing the graphics up. I'm sure the decal pack isn't for everyone, but personally I don't care much for the stock graphics. Eventually I'll be adding a headlight and taillight just incase I'm caught out when the sun goes down.

Does anyone know the output of the stator?

Also I wanted to confirm that the chain is a 428x116?

Old 02-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #11

I wouldn't rely on the tools it comes with. Never assembled one of those, but I can guess you will want 8-19mm wrenches and sockets, adjustable wrench, hammer, metric allen wrenches, screwdrivers, some zip ties, duct tape, cable and chain lubes, air pump, replacement fuel line, two qts of 10w40 motorcycle safe oil, grease gun.

Probably more. This is too assemble it right. You could probably slap it together like most of the "dealers" do.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:53 AM   #12

Just a couple more questions if anyone knows the answers and can chime in.

- Is the fuel line 3/16" ID

- Are the sprocket bolts M8x25? The parts list from GIO reads M8x25, but I read on here someone replaced theirs with M6x33 and used nuts to prevent the bolts from backing out. Wouldn't the M6 be too small? and is 33mm long enough to use with a nut?

The bike is still in the box. I'm taking it up to 70 Mile Easter weekend and I'll be assembling it up there. I'd like to get as much as I can collected so I can put it together right the first time

Old 03-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #13

Every China machine I've had my hands on has had 3/16" fuel line.

I can't answer the sprocket bolt question, and I would measure them to be sure.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #14

I read the thread again he actually said M6 x 30mm. I sent him a PM to clarify the bolt size. I just don't want to go tearing apart the box until I get it up to my property.

I'll post some pics when I get it all together.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:24 AM   #15

I got her together over the weekend. I must say the user guide they put in the box is sh*t. If it hadn't been for that video on youtube, I would have been lost for some parts. One thing that made me laugh was the front wheel bolt was 19 mm and a 17 mm nut, but the tools they provided had the 19 mm and 17 mm both on the same wrench. The plastic parts didn't line up properly either especially for the one bolt that goes where the air fins are.

The clutch cable needed to be adjusted which was no big deal. The CNC levers we super easy to change.

Bang for your buck I'm very happy with the X31. I've never ridden a motorcycle or dirt bike before and had no issues riding the X31. My sister inlaw was teasing and had her camera out and made comments about getting rich on Americas Funniest Home Videos. She was sadly disappointed though when I rode away.

Here's what she looks like.