Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2015, 05:34 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreyStarr View Post
...my header looks pretty messed up, like it was welded, I don't know if the welds are blocking the exhaust and I plan to replace it. Should I look for a header from an XR200, an XL? or do I need a lifan specific header...
Chonda dual sport's ancestor is xl125s http://www.motorfans.com.cn/bbs/t_17688824.htm ... The 185 header is close enough

Old 05-22-2015, 10:41 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:15 AM   #33

HB, that story never gets old for me.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-16-2015, 07:38 PM   #34

Okay so I did some more work on the bike, I had a Supertrapp IDS2 race core from a DR350 that was much too loud. Here's what I did

If you see here the quiet core is on the left, and the racecore (what I have) is on the right.

Got some pipe and squished it similar to the photo I saw.

Since I can't weld I'm using rivets to hold the pipes inside the baffle.

It worked out really well, the holes in the baffle are the exact size as the rivets, Here is one rivet in place with another hole drilled for the next rivet.

I used 2 large steel pipes off both bent like the one above and placed off center and a smaller copper pipe all riveted in. In addition I used a piece of expanded steel.

I don't know anything about baffles but I was doing this under the theory that the exhaust gasses need to be able to flow, but since sound travels directionally, the more you interrupt it and force it to bounce around it will cancel itself out and be absorbed by the packing that surrounds the baffle.

from the other end, nice looking photo but here you can see short focal length is not that great for information

Super Trapp recommends 8 discs with the XR200, I went with 7 because I would rather have it a little quieter, plus low torque vs high horsepower is nice for a less experienced rider.

I bought a clean XR200 headpipe from eBay, as always nothing is easy. It was much smaller than the DR350 muffler so I had to make a spacer, the grey stuff is muffler sealant, It is ugly but seems to work, it turns into a sorta flaky hard substance when it dries and works well.

More shade tree hacks. The heat shield is from a DR350 head pipe. Another problem was that the head pipe was the right diameter but the flange wasn't right for the Lifan motor. I had to get a spacer to put between the headpipe and the motor, almost like a very thick copper exhaust gasket (1/2 inch or so) and a washer so the exhaust would tighten down. Hard to describe and easy enough to do but not a direct bolt on.

The sound is still loud but manageable, bike seems to run much better with the more adequate head pipe. I tuned the air fuel screw a bit. First gear is still very light but I think that can be fixed with a new rear sprocket and tire. I got a tachometer as well which I still need to install but that will help a lot with tuning the bike.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:18 AM   #35

I think I understand what you're saying. I think you need reference #2 in this diagram.

Name:  XR200 Muffler.jpg
Views: 988
Size:  17.7 KB

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-17-2015, 10:18 AM   #36

Freystarr, I read through all of this neat info about maintenance parts replacement but did anyone ever answer your original questions??. Valve clearance and such?... I know Spud and others here are very versed and the forum is great in general but I hope someone gave u some numbers and specs to work with(via PM or otherwise).

But then again, I too have got caught up looking at the pretty maintenance pics and hands on centerfold shots as well.... So, perhaps I missed the numbers somewhere in there....

Old 06-17-2015, 10:22 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I think I understand what you're saying. I think you need reference #2 in this diagram.

Attachment 2824

Always impressed with you and Spud's diagrams....I get something from them every time!

Old 06-17-2015, 11:25 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpete View Post
Freystarr, I read through all of this neat info about maintenance parts replacement but did anyone ever answer your original questions??. Valve clearance and such?... I know Spud and others here are very versed and the forum is great in general but I hope someone gave u some numbers and specs to work with(via PM or otherwise).
Humanbeing provided valve specs and a manual in the first reply.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:31 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreyStarr View Post
The bike still didn't pull amazing like I'd hoped. It definitely felt better but I think carb settings are wrong. It just bogs when I give it gas and feels very under power in first gear, like no torque is being produced. It's not until I'm riding along about halfway through the rev range in second that it starts to gain momentum and pull. I thought at first that my gearing was asking too much and that the motor is just weak but you all say you run higher gearing than me so I wanna figure it out.
What are the jet sizes in the carb? Did you get the carb with the bike? Are you certain that someone hasn't drilled them out?

Old 06-17-2015, 12:36 PM   #40

I like your exhaust baffle mods.

I had a loud Muzzy exhaust on a Ninja I owned once... it was similar with a straight through perforated pipe like yours, wrapped in packing. My original muffler packing was all burnt and mostly blown out... so I repacked with some 4-stroke muffler packing mat. I also added a drag pipe mini baffle... as sold on ebay for Harley straight pipes and the like. Pop-riveted, like you did, to the perforated pipe. It looked like this:

These two things (new packing and the baffle)... made a huge difference in sound. Before I was ready to ditch the exhaust... afterwards I liked it... deep and throaty.

Cheers!
'07 Kinroad XT200GY Runmaster (sold)
'07 KMD GY6 150cc ATV (sold)
'07 Kangchao 250cc ATV Monster (sold)
Baja Moto DB-30 "Doodlebugs"(x3) (sold)
'06 Hi-Bird 200 parts bike (sold)

Old 06-17-2015, 12:41 PM   #41

Quote:

Attachment 2824
What is the stuff called that you wrap around the muffler pipe to take up the gap where it gets clamped into the flared header pipe?

When I pulled my muffler pipe off the header pipe on my Kinroad... a lot of that thick foil-looking wrap came apart in pieces. I made it work when I put it back together. Just curious what that stuff is sold as.

Cheers!
'07 Kinroad XT200GY Runmaster (sold)
'07 KMD GY6 150cc ATV (sold)
'07 Kangchao 250cc ATV Monster (sold)
Baja Moto DB-30 "Doodlebugs"(x3) (sold)
'06 Hi-Bird 200 parts bike (sold)

Old 06-18-2015, 01:39 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
What is the stuff called that you wrap around the muffler pipe to take up the gap where it gets clamped into the flared header pipe?

When I pulled my muffler pipe off the header pipe on my Kinroad... a lot of that thick foil-looking wrap came apart in pieces. I made it work when I put it back together. Just curious what that stuff is sold as.

Cheers!
I've never actually seen a wrap for that purpose. There is a gasket that's meant to be in there, and yours likely disintegrated. See item #11 in post #35.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:43 AM   #43

Quote:
I've never actually seen a wrap for that purpose. There is a gasket that's meant to be in there, and yours likely disintegrated. See item #11 in post #35.
Yes, both my Honda XR650L, and my Honda CRF250X employ the exhaust header gaskets. In fact, my Zongshen RX3 also uses an exhaust header gasket.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-19-2015, 01:09 PM   #44

Okay to be more specific (and hopefully not more confusing)

The problem is that the hole for the header, that is: The hole on the side of the cylinder head, is too deep for the XR200 head pipe. When you tighten down the flange with those two bolts, even with it tightened down all the way the XR200 head pipe is still loose.
In order to get it to seal I needed to stack up like 1/2" between the head pipe and the head itself, I just picked a spacer that wasn't smaller inside diameter so I wasn't restricting flow, I also cut a circle out of copper using a hole punch to make a compressable exhaust gasket. I think aluminum works too, and definitely better than steel.

Covered everything in that exhaust sealant goop.

The spacer between the muffler and the headpipe is just a piece of aluminum pipe. I cut it at an angle / thinking that as the exhaust clamp tightens it down, it is more able to slide and compress.

This is an XR200 header with a DR350 tail pipe on the Lifan engine. Nothing is missing per se because everything is missing.

If you missed the previous pics, the old muffler was some sort of Frankenstein thing and I can only assume the P/O bought the engine alone with no muffler and tried to adapt what XR junk he had. If I sell the bike maybe the next guy will come along and go WTF did this guy do.

Maybe you have something like a http://metalsupermarkets.com/ this stuff ends up being less than $10 each time I go and there are cool scraps an stuff. You can buy baffles online too. It helps to bring your stuff in to see what might work

Last edited by FreyStarr; 06-19-2015 at 05:19 PM.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:24 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post

Cheers!
I usually just use a piece of an empty spray can like from brake cleaner or WD40, cut it into a strip and file off the burs, be careful not to cut yourself. wrap it around the smaller pipe and can hold it in place with a zip tie while you try to slide it in. trim it down so that it fits and clamp it down. Use high heat silicone or muffler sealant. In addition to this get a good exhaust clamp that won't strip when you tighten it down. Doesn't need to be motorcycle related and can replaced easily if yours is on the way out.

I've seen people use exhaust wrap (the fabric stuff) and steel wool. Stainless steel wool would be the best as the normal stuff rusts apart easily.

Last edited by FreyStarr; 06-21-2015 at 10:54 PM.