Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-09-2022, 05:12 PM   #1

China Bike (Two Years and a bunch of $$$ Later)

I am no stranger to china bikes, they are sold nice shiny new, cheap price and they WILL break on you, I do not even try to hide that is an inevitable conclusion to a cheap sale, if you want something quality that will stand the test of time your not buying a china bike.

Ok fast forward to two years later, I bought a RPS Hawk 250, it had 1500 miles or so on it when it was stolen from me in Nebraska, it was recovered 2 months later completely stripped and I rebuilt it. The guys who stole it were lowlife meth heads and they got almost no penalty and I never saw a dime in restitution. Out of the sorrow of the good times I vowed to rebuild her and I did.

Recently she literally dropped the gas tank while my friend was riding her, gas spilled everywhere, the bottom of the tank where the outlet to the petcock is welded just up and separated for no reason.

A local welder said it would be cheaper to just buy a new tank then to re weld it all over again, so i spent another $100 on a tank that should have lasted 5+ years of riding.

The reason for my updated post is to tell you all my gas gauge never worked right from Day one, and i figured since this tank didnt come with a sending unit (or a cap or a bushing or a rubber seal for that matter, go china) I could take this opportunity to fix the gauge.

I removed the sending unit from the old tank and put an OHM meter on the plug, but I saw no variation in resistance no matter what I did.

here are a few pics to show you of the broken tank, and the sending unit, I know there was a thread about a zip tie on this forum, but I think I may have a bigger issue.

BTW if there is not supposed to be a float on this tank, I am going to use a piece of cork to make a new one, because any self respecting tank SHOULD have a float!

I plan on redoing all of her electronics as they are very problematic, but that will be for another thread!

thanks for any tips/feedback
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0585.JPG (110.1 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0586.JPG (90.4 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0588.JPG (100.4 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0589.JPG (106.0 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0591.JPG (76.8 KB, 291 views)