Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2008, 08:13 AM   #16

I have been having this same problem (occasionally) with my 85 Yammy Big Wheel, and after reading Phil's experience, I am tempted to tackle the problem with Papa Bear myself -- I strongly suspect that the basic engineering of the shifting apparatus is pretty close on all bikes -- I could be wrong (It wouldn't be the first time).

Luke, 11: 21

Old 09-26-2008, 11:58 AM   #17

Send a message via Yahoo to DDG1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
I created a sticky for great post like this. This one has been added.

Thanks Phil

Allen
Heck this guy should put together his own version of a "Haynes" type manual. I'd pay $13 for my own copy of a complete tear down and rebuild!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-26-2009, 11:00 PM   #18

Re: LF200GY-5 Transmission doesn't shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_R
2007 LF200GY-5 / 1064 km

Transmission won't shift, shifter moves but doesn't feel right, clutch works. Bike will move under it's own power, just can't shift gears...

Removed kickstarter, rear brake pedal, disconnected clutch cable, thirteen (13) 8mm bolts securing clutch cover/case. Tapped on cover/case with wooden block until it broke loose from gasket... gasket was undamaged and reused. Found the bolt that secures stopper-plate to shift-drum loose and partially backed out. Stopper-plate no longer engaged pin mounted on shift-drum, or spring loaded stopper-arm (with roller) that holds transmission in gear.

Used circlip pliers to remove circlip holding gearshift plate. (circlip, spring, then plate) Removed gearshift plate, bolt that secures stopper-plate, and stopper-plate. Held stopper-arm out of the way so stopper-plate could be positioned to engage alignment pin on shift-drum. Used thread locker on bolt and secured stopper-plate to shift-drum. Make certain the roller on stopper-arm rolls against stopper-plate.

Replace gearshift plate, spring, and circlip... I used anti-seize compound on bolts during installation of clutch cover/case. Grease shaft on brake-pedal when you install, and use new cotter pins. Start to finish was four hours, including lunch break, pictures, clean-up, and test ride. Bike is now back in everyday service, shifts better than new.

Here is my problem, The other day I was riding at about 60mph when I heard a fast high pitch knocking sound from engine. I kept going (trying to find a place to pull over) when the engine completly shut off. After getting the bike home I noticed the gear shifter was loose so I pulled off the side of the engine with the shifter plate under it. When I took off the side of the engine I noticed the shifter was able to move around to much. Does anyone have an idea as to how I am supposed to secure the shifter plate and shifter bar/axle thing so it wont slide in and out (hitting the clutch sprockett)? Thanks. Below are pictures..........
http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/...serialNumber=1
http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/...serialNumber=1

http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/...serialNumber=1[/url]

P.S I took the c-clip, spring and washer off of the shifter axle FYI.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:19 AM   #19

It's located sideways by the clutch casing. So when the casing is removed the location is lost. There should be no more than about .5 mm sideways movement of the shaft with the clutch casing fittted. The correct gasket is important here, I used some thin gasket paper and the selector shaft was pinched and it was difficult to change gear.

Jonathan.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by czowner
It's located sideways by the clutch casing. So when the casing is removed the location is lost. There should be no more than about .5 mm sideways movement of the shaft with the clutch casing fittted. The correct gasket is important here, I used some thin gasket paper and the selector shaft was pinched and it was difficult to change gear.

Jonathan.
Not sure I understand you. Could you explain in greater detail? Thanks! -Cory

Old 04-28-2009, 03:46 AM   #21

Right here goes, the selector shaft ("shifter plate and shifter bar/axle thing"), to put simply, is trapped in place by the outer casing. As the outer casing has been removed it's now free to slide out.

Jonathan.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by czowner
Right here goes, the selector shaft ("shifter plate and shifter bar/axle thing"), to put simply, is trapped in place by the outer casing. As the outer casing has been removed it's now free to slide out.

Jonathan.
Got ya! Thanks! I will try that. I wonder though what the cause of the shifter coming loose in the first place was? -Cory

Old 08-25-2010, 06:06 PM   #23

I have a Hensim HS250DB enduro that I bought a few months back. I've rode the crap out of it and it's been a great bike. The other day I was changing the oil and when I replaced the dipstick/oil plug I heard a snap! I backed it out and the little plastic piece at the end of the dipstick had broken off inside. I'm trying to get the cover off to retrieve the piece of plastic right now but after taking out (12) 8mm screws, the brake pedal, kick starter, and releasing the clutch cable the cover won't budge at all. I've tapped on it with a hammer and a piece of wood but it won't break free. It feels really secure like there are still screws holding it. I've looked everywhere but only found 12 screws. Is there 1 more that is hidden or something. Anybody have any advice?

Update: I got it off and found the piece! To anyone having the same trouble, don't be afraid to really smack it with something to get it to break free. But be ginger with the seal...

Old 08-26-2010, 08:28 AM   #24

Glad you got it worked out.
Please tell us more about the bike if you will and how you are doing with it. Lots of interest in it earlier.
Thats a good looking bike. Thanks for the pics too.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:07 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
Glad you got it worked out.
Please tell us more about the bike if you will and how you are doing with it. Lots of interest in it earlier.
Thats a good looking bike. Thanks for the pics too.
X2! If you have time, please start a new thread telling us more about your experiences with this motorcycle.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-23-2015, 01:40 PM   #26

I have that same problem sometimes. Looks like I'll be looking at that bolt. Thanks for the post.
I know it's old but... lol

Old 05-23-2015, 05:52 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by guttafixit View Post
I have that same problem sometimes. Looks like I'll be looking at that bolt. Thanks for the post.
I know it's old but... lol
I'm glad you are using the search function at these forums. Just because a thread is old, it doesn't mean the information contained within is outdated or useless. It is always good to revive a great thread.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-23-2015, 11:31 PM   #28

Cool... the original post pictures are the same engine I have. Useful to see. Hope I don't experience this issue, but if I do... looks like it's an easy fix.

Cheers!
'07 Kinroad XT200GY Runmaster (sold)
'07 KMD GY6 150cc ATV (sold)
'07 Kangchao 250cc ATV Monster (sold)
Baja Moto DB-30 "Doodlebugs"(x3) (sold)
'06 Hi-Bird 200 parts bike (sold)

Old 05-25-2015, 11:04 AM   #29

It might be a good idea to Loctite the bolt in proactively.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-25-2015, 04:23 PM   #30

I just took mine out and used red loc tite. Don't think it will come out. haha
After I screwed back in I shifted into 1st then tried 2nd. (Not holding the clutch in since I had the clutch free floating until I get the special socket) It wouldn't go into 2nd. I'm think because I don't have the clutch together and the clutch lever pulled in. Not sure.?
I took the screw back out wiped the red loc tite off and put blue loc tite on the screw but now I can't screw it in.
Looks like I have to align the holes up to. Anyone taking this screw out try to make sure you don't move anything. lol
Well looks like I'll have to wait to get the tools to align it up. Can't do with the clutch on.
Just my luck. I should of just left the red loc tite in. And worried about it if I couldn't shift into 2nd with everything back together. Oh welllllll ... haha
Dan