Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2017, 09:43 AM   #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
I always kind of wanted to try out one of these little "sport" bikes. I won't be of much help for windshield parts, but as far as hardware (nuts and bolts) goes, I would say to hit up Ace Hardware if you have one nearby. They tend to carry a larger selection of metric and specialty hardware that will likely be of a higher quality.
Definitely little. I'm 5"6 and I can comfortably place my feet on the ground. As for power, you're not going to be racing plus its marketed as 250cc but it's engine is 230cc. It's a great commuter bike though! I love it so far and it's so easy to work on

Old 12-01-2017, 12:45 PM   #2

I am pleasantly surprised that your bike is still running! These were prone to breaking down back in the day, as reported here on Chinariders when they were new, as well as a few years later when people were picking them up as used. The used ones were picked up from owners who apparently had them sitting around since they had moved 'up' to a bigger, name-brand bike. The problem was, we did not have a lot of people here on Chinariders who could diagnose the issues, and help each other find spare parts since Zongshen USA had folded up shop and left their HQ in Florida. For comparison, the Hawk 250 has become very popular around Chinariders, and people are fixing and repairing them thanks to the advice from other members.

Not sure if CSC could help you with engine parts, should you need them, but they are located in the greater metropolitan L.A. area of Azuza, and are the current US importer of Zongshen products. Besides them, many members have ordered parts directly from China via Taobao, so to put your mind at ease, your GS should be able to give you reliable performance for as long as you plan to own it! What part of L.A. are you? My parents live in Northridge, and my sisters live in Granada Hills and Sherman Oaks. My in-laws live further north in Camarillo.

http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 12-01-2017, 05:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I am pleasantly surprised that your bike is still running! These were prone to breaking down back in the day, as reported here on Chinariders when they were new, as well as a few years later when people were picking them up as used. The used ones were picked up from owners who apparently had them sitting around since they had moved 'up' to a bigger, name-brand bike. The problem was, we did not have a lot of people here on Chinariders who could diagnose the issues, and help each other find spare parts since Zongshen USA had folded up shop and left their HQ in Florida. For comparison, the Hawk 250 has become very popular around Chinariders, and people are fixing and repairing them thanks to the advice from other members.

Not sure if CSC could help you with engine parts, should you need them, but they are located in the greater metropolitan L.A. area of Azuza, and are the current US importer of Zongshen products. Besides them, many members have ordered parts directly from China via Taobao, so to put your mind at ease, your GS should be able to give you reliable performance for as long as you plan to own it! What part of L.A. are you? My parents live in Northridge, and my sisters live in Granada Hills and Sherman Oaks. My in-laws live further north in Camarillo.

http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/

I know where Asuza is, it's a bit of a drive but if I can get parts then I don't mind the trip. The top part of the engine is leaking a little bit of oil and shifting into neutral is a bit dodgy but not impossible. Those are the only problems I've come across. I had low expectations of the bike to begin with since I also knew about it's problems but I'm a tinkerer at heart. The sprockets and chain were wicked rusty, the battery was dead and the carb needed cleaning/adjusting. After I fixed those issues it ran! I'll probably end up rebuilding the engine or just find the original engine it copied and slap it on.

I live in South Los Angeles. Close to where USC is located. I've been to Northridge several times, beautiful place and bigger roads than Los Angeles lol where do you live now?

Last edited by SlendyMayne; 12-01-2017 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Just added a few things

Old 12-02-2017, 03:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlendyMayne View Post
I know where Asuza is, it's a bit of a drive but if I can get parts then I don't mind the trip. The top part of the engine is leaking a little bit of oil and shifting into neutral is a bit dodgy but not impossible. Those are the only problems I've come across. I had low expectations of the bike to begin with since I also knew about it's problems but I'm a tinkerer at heart. The sprockets and chain were wicked rusty, the battery was dead and the carb needed cleaning/adjusting. After I fixed those issues it ran! I'll probably end up rebuilding the engine or just find the original engine it copied and slap it on.

I live in South Los Angeles. Close to where USC is located. I've been to Northridge several times, beautiful place and bigger roads than Los Angeles lol where do you live now?
You could pretty much throw in most any Chinese Zongshen-sourced engine; several other brands use Zongshen engines as their OEM. For instance, I have a TMEC 200 enduro that I am willing to part out, as my engine is a Zongshen OEM'd 200cc engine. To answer your question, I live in Yuma, AZ, but do visit several times a year. I don't envision being able to bring the engine out your way anytime soon, since I drive a Chrysler 300, which is my wife's, and I have 3 kids that accompany us--no room. For all it's worth, if you can get out this way, you can have the TMEC carcass and take the parts you want, lol.

As a side note, I will be interviewing with the LA Unified School District on Jan. 2nd, but I am leaning towards Las Vegas because I am hoping to open a scooter-based enterprise using my connections coincidentally located in City of Industry. (Vegas allows riding sub-50cc scooters with just a driver's license unlike California and Arizona which require a motorcycle license)

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 12-02-2017, 09:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
You could pretty much throw in most any Chinese Zongshen-sourced engine; several other brands use Zongshen engines as their OEM. For instance, I have a TMEC 200 enduro that I am willing to part out, as my engine is a Zongshen OEM'd 200cc engine. To answer your question, I live in Yuma, AZ, but do visit several times a year. I don't envision being able to bring the engine out your way anytime soon, since I drive a Chrysler 300, which is my wife's, and I have 3 kids that accompany us--no room. For all it's worth, if you can get out this way, you can have the TMEC carcass and take the parts you want, lol.

As a side note, I will be interviewing with the LA Unified School District on Jan. 2nd, but I am leaning towards Las Vegas because I am hoping to open a scooter-based enterprise using my connections coincidentally located in City of Industry. (Vegas allows riding sub-50cc scooters with just a driver's license unlike California and Arizona which require a motorcycle license)
Oh buddy dont tempt me like that haha I wouldn't mind driving to AZ for that engine. It'd be an awesome reason to go see my family there anyways 🤔 I drive and Audi A4 it's terrible in gas but highway miles aren't so bad. It's like a 6hr trip right?
Oh dope, lausd definitely has a lot of perks. I used to work as a teacher's aide for a charter school nearby it was fun but didnt pay well. But opening up a scooter shop does sound like a better idea.

Old 12-01-2017, 06:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlendyMayne View Post
Definitely little. I'm 5"6 and I can comfortably place my feet on the ground. As for power, you're not going to be racing plus its marketed as 250cc but it's engine is 230cc. It's a great commuter bike though! I love it so far and it's so easy to work on
I am 6'4. I don't fit most sport bikes well unless they are much MUCH bigger engines lol. Even then, I am rarely comfortable. Putting my feet on the ground has never been an issue.
As far as the engine and it's power. I am familiar with it as my Hawk has the same engine.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 12-01-2017, 06:21 PM   #7

Thats almost a foot in difference! I've ridden on 450s before and I'm tiptoeing bad lol I envy you for footing never being an issue. I have stubby legs 😓