ChinaRiders Forums

ChinaRiders Forums (http://www.chinariders.net/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (http://www.chinariders.net/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   New Zongshen rider from Los Angeles (http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=20319)

SlendyMayne 11-28-2017 12:24 PM

New Zongshen rider from Los Angeles

3 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone! I recently got my hands on a zongshen gs250 and I found out about this website and excited to hear from all of you folks! Anyone know where I can find parts for the bike? Previous owner lost a lot of it's screws and bolts and the windshield is missing it's corner piece.

JerryHawk250 11-28-2017 01:32 PM

Looks like you picked up a nice bike. :tup: Welcome aboard. I'm sure someone will chime in on a source for parts.

SlendyMayne 11-28-2017 09:42 PM

Thanks! Yea she drives a whole lot better than I was expecting. I definitely have alot of modding ideas in mind. First one being switching out the filter box for a cone. Havent found the right size for it yet. Still new to the whole motorbike scene but I've learned alot so far :)

JerryHawk250 11-29-2017 07:55 AM

If you are swapping out to a cone filter plan on upping the main jet as it will run leaner. As far as the windshield you can fabricate one easily out of Lexan from Lowes or Home Depot. Some have even used grinding shields to make windshields. Do you know if that the stock exhaust? If it has a catalytic converter I would cut it out or remove it to help it breath better.

kirbo7106 11-29-2017 10:46 AM

Greetings!

Welcome to the forum! Nice looking bike! :tup: Keep us posted on your mods and upgrades.

SlendyMayne 11-29-2017 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 (Post 269845)
If you are swapping out to a cone filter plan on upping the main jet as it will run leaner. As far as the windshield you can fabricate one easily out of Lexan from Lowes or Home Depot. Some have even used grinding shields to make windshields. Do you know if that the stock exhaust? If it has a catalytic converter I would cut it out or remove it to help it breath better.

Upping the main jet as in getting a bigger jet or adjusting the screw?
I can make a new windshield out of lexan? I'm definitely gonna look for a tutorial for that. As far as the exhaust, I'm not sure if it's stock or not but I'll give it a shot.

SlendyMayne 11-29-2017 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirbo7106 (Post 269851)
Welcome to the forum! Nice looking bike! :tup: Keep us posted on your mods and upgrades.

Thanks! I'll definitely keep updating. I really want to convert this bike into a naked streetfighter bike.

JerryHawk250 11-29-2017 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlendyMayne (Post 269857)
Upping the main jet as in getting a bigger jet or adjusting the screw?
I can make a new windshield out of lexan? I'm definitely gonna look for a tutorial for that. As far as the exhaust, I'm not sure if it's stock or not but I'll give it a shot.

Yes, change out to a larger jet. Get the information on the existing carb and jets and i'm sure we can help you out. Easy way to checkout the exhaust is see if you can pass something like a cable or flexible rod through it without any obstructions.

SlendyMayne 11-29-2017 12:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
All I know is that it's a diaphragm carburetor. Took a picture of the part number but it's barely legible. I'll take a closer look once I get home. I'll still post the picture of it incase you are able to identify right away.

JerryHawk250 11-29-2017 01:05 PM

This looks like an exact match. https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...568053287.html we just have to see what jets fit it. looks like a copy of the keihin carburetor 30mm

SlendyMayne 11-29-2017 01:21 PM

Link seems to be blocked :cry:
Edit: Error was on my end! Got it to work.

Megadan 11-30-2017 10:33 PM

I always kind of wanted to try out one of these little "sport" bikes. I won't be of much help for windshield parts, but as far as hardware (nuts and bolts) goes, I would say to hit up Ace Hardware if you have one nearby. They tend to carry a larger selection of metric and specialty hardware that will likely be of a higher quality.

SlendyMayne 12-01-2017 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megadan (Post 269940)
I always kind of wanted to try out one of these little "sport" bikes. I won't be of much help for windshield parts, but as far as hardware (nuts and bolts) goes, I would say to hit up Ace Hardware if you have one nearby. They tend to carry a larger selection of metric and specialty hardware that will likely be of a higher quality.

Definitely little. I'm 5"6 and I can comfortably place my feet on the ground. As for power, you're not going to be racing plus its marketed as 250cc but it's engine is 230cc. It's a great commuter bike though! I love it so far and it's so easy to work on

culcune 12-01-2017 12:45 PM

I am pleasantly surprised that your bike is still running! These were prone to breaking down back in the day, as reported here on Chinariders when they were new, as well as a few years later when people were picking them up as used. The used ones were picked up from owners who apparently had them sitting around since they had moved 'up' to a bigger, name-brand bike. The problem was, we did not have a lot of people here on Chinariders who could diagnose the issues, and help each other find spare parts since Zongshen USA had folded up shop and left their HQ in Florida. For comparison, the Hawk 250 has become very popular around Chinariders, and people are fixing and repairing them thanks to the advice from other members.

Not sure if CSC could help you with engine parts, should you need them, but they are located in the greater metropolitan L.A. area of Azuza, and are the current US importer of Zongshen products. Besides them, many members have ordered parts directly from China via Taobao, so to put your mind at ease, your GS should be able to give you reliable performance for as long as you plan to own it! :tup: What part of L.A. are you? My parents live in Northridge, and my sisters live in Granada Hills and Sherman Oaks. My in-laws live further north in Camarillo.

http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/

SlendyMayne 12-01-2017 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by culcune (Post 269976)
I am pleasantly surprised that your bike is still running! These were prone to breaking down back in the day, as reported here on Chinariders when they were new, as well as a few years later when people were picking them up as used. The used ones were picked up from owners who apparently had them sitting around since they had moved 'up' to a bigger, name-brand bike. The problem was, we did not have a lot of people here on Chinariders who could diagnose the issues, and help each other find spare parts since Zongshen USA had folded up shop and left their HQ in Florida. For comparison, the Hawk 250 has become very popular around Chinariders, and people are fixing and repairing them thanks to the advice from other members.

Not sure if CSC could help you with engine parts, should you need them, but they are located in the greater metropolitan L.A. area of Azuza, and are the current US importer of Zongshen products. Besides them, many members have ordered parts directly from China via Taobao, so to put your mind at ease, your GS should be able to give you reliable performance for as long as you plan to own it! :tup: What part of L.A. are you? My parents live in Northridge, and my sisters live in Granada Hills and Sherman Oaks. My in-laws live further north in Camarillo.

http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/

I know where Asuza is, it's a bit of a drive but if I can get parts then I don't mind the trip. The top part of the engine is leaking a little bit of oil and shifting into neutral is a bit dodgy but not impossible. Those are the only problems I've come across. I had low expectations of the bike to begin with since I also knew about it's problems but I'm a tinkerer at heart. The sprockets and chain were wicked rusty, the battery was dead and the carb needed cleaning/adjusting. After I fixed those issues it ran! I'll probably end up rebuilding the engine or just find the original engine it copied and slap it on.

I live in South Los Angeles. Close to where USC is located. I've been to Northridge several times, beautiful place and bigger roads than Los Angeles lol where do you live now?