Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2020, 03:37 PM   #1

Wheel Bearing Replacement

I am going through my TBR7 fairly thoroughly and ordered bearing replacements for both the front and rear.. from Balls Racing...

Are there any videos on the subject or tutorials? ( could be Hawk, Tao or any of the Chinese bikes)

I don't think it's that hard but I sure do like watching some one else do it prior to me....

Many thanks!!

all about the Tao MotorsTBR7
http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=25553

Old 03-11-2020, 04:05 PM   #2

There really is no need to replace the bearings on a new bike. Just grease up the ones that come on the bike. They come with very little grease from the factory. I have over 7800 miles on the stock bearing on my Hawk.

2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 03-11-2020, 05:55 PM   #3

Jerry, question - I did the same on my TBR7 recently, popped off the dust cover as you show in the pic and packed in marine grease.

The other side of your photo ( the rotor side) - I could not figure for the life of me how to get the cover off, it look like it is part of the housing the holds the rotor on and I would need to unbolt the rotor.

Is this accurate or am I missing something?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TBR7 front wheel.jpg (96.5 KB, 950 views)

Old 03-11-2020, 08:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofqueenz View Post
Jerry, question - I did the same on my TBR7 recently, popped off the dust cover as you show in the pic and packed in marine grease.

The other side of your photo ( the rotor side) - I could not figure for the life of me how to get the cover off, it look like it is part of the housing the holds the rotor on and I would need to unbolt the rotor.

Is this accurate or am I missing something?
Jerry is showing THAT axle spacer seal removed and the actual seal INSIDE the bearing removed.
You need to dig a little deeper...

Old 03-11-2020, 08:56 PM   #5

Tako, I get the side Jerry is showing, that is easy to remove the dust cap and apply grease.

The other side, where the rotor is mounted - that is not clear cut on how to remove.

Old 03-11-2020, 09:23 PM   #6

It's the same on both side on my Hawk. The axle seal should come out fairly easy.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 03-12-2020, 04:22 AM   #7

You will need to buy a new seal. After trying to get it off, you may have damaged it. Just put a screwdriver under the edge and whack the handle with a hammer. You may have to be mean to it. I have had one on my front wheel on my Apollo that gave me grief. It came out but not in a reusable form. Lol. Just order new seals for both sides. Buy a quality seal from a reputable company. Trust me on that. Both my front and rear (original) seals let water in. Rusted my bearings within 6 months. I went with Japanese made seals and bearings. No more problems. Requires research but worth it. There are little numbers cast on the seal that tell the size. Just Google the numbers and choose wisely.

Old 03-12-2020, 07:50 AM   #8

Thank you sir.... I remain humble before thee....

Old 03-12-2020, 11:25 AM   #9

So thanks to all the responses and wisdom
... but unfortunately I am unclear as to how the whole thing goes together....

So i downloaded an exploded view of a generic Dirt bike rear wheel assembly..... which I think looks fairly close... .the only difference (??) is that there's a seal cover between 2 and 4 on the left side and 11 and 4 on the right? is that close or do I have it wrong?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear Wheel assembly.jpg (63.9 KB, 876 views)

Old 12-05-2021, 09:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenstogie View Post
So thanks to all the responses and wisdom
... but unfortunately I am unclear as to how the whole thing goes together....

So i downloaded an exploded view of a generic Dirt bike rear wheel assembly..... which I think looks fairly close... .the only difference (??) is that there's a seal cover between 2 and 4 on the left side and 11 and 4 on the right? is that close or do I have it wrong?
It looks like on this assembly break out/down pic, it shows the cap and seal on the sprocket side to be one piece. Not so on the TBR7. The sprocket bolts are different also. There's not a nut that goes on them like the TBR7 has.

Old 03-12-2020, 02:28 PM   #11

So here's another video that explains a rear wheel assembly, hub, bearings, axle etc...
might be helpful for anyone that stumbles on this thread...

Old 12-02-2021, 11:24 PM   #12

Thank you so much China Ryder 27. I really appreciate it.

Old 12-05-2021, 09:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkay44 View Post
Thank you so much China Ryder 27. I really appreciate it.
Are you getting any closer to getting the wheel on and bike running?

Old 12-05-2021, 11:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by severely View Post
Are you getting any closer to getting the wheel on and bike running?
Appreciate you asking. I'm afraid the answer's no. I ended up just fingering a bunch of marine grade grease up in rear wheel bearings and figured I'd deal with the shut caliper issue on the way out. I wanted to check & zert the swing arm while I was in there.
It turns out I stripped the bottom shock bolt during assembly so I died it & tapped the nut.
When I got the swing arm off I noticed the shock would barley move. I'm thinking it's supposed to swing kind of freely from up there so I figured I better take that off to grease & torque it. IT WON'T COME OFF.
I bought some gripping sockets, it made it worse so i had to take the seat, airbox, exhaust (to get the air box off) so I could get with vice grips. I CAN'T EVEN GET IT WITH VICE GRIPS. It's like a bad sitcom that you can't turn away from.
I'm soaking it in WD40 for a few days and will try it again.
Think I'll change my user name from Tomkay44 to NoMechanic1..... Not letting it get to me though. Lol

Old 12-06-2021, 08:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkay44 View Post
Appreciate you asking. I'm afraid the answer's no. I ended up just fingering a bunch of marine grade grease up in rear wheel bearings and figured I'd deal with the shut caliper issue on the way out. I wanted to check & zert the swing arm while I was in there.
It turns out I stripped the bottom shock bolt during assembly so I died it & tapped the nut.
When I got the swing arm off I noticed the shock would barley move. I'm thinking it's supposed to swing kind of freely from up there so I figured I better take that off to grease & torque it. IT WON'T COME OFF.
I bought some gripping sockets, it made it worse so i had to take the seat, airbox, exhaust (to get the air box off) so I could get with vice grips. I CAN'T EVEN GET IT WITH VICE GRIPS. It's like a bad sitcom that you can't turn away from.
I'm soaking it in WD40 for a few days and will try it again.
Think I'll change my user name from Tomkay44 to NoMechanic1..... Not letting it get to me though. Lol
So, are you referring to the shock not coming out after the bolt removal, the bolt removal itself or the swingarm not coming loose? Do you own a torque wrench? I'm guessing torque values are fairly consistent on the Chinese stuff so possibly torque values off other models are a worthwhile reference for future tightening of bolts. You sound like a young, strong guy and strength is a strong ally but can also be a foe. Good luck.